wireless lan ??

Post by Mrop » Fri, 14 Jun 2002 11:07:47

I have absolutely no experiance with wireless networks. I am hoping a furu
can give me a nudge in the right direction.

Basically I wanted to know if I purchase two wireless LAN cards will I be
able to network two PCs or will I need some kind of a wireless hub with
that. I have a PC and a Notebook, I want to network these two (both running
win2k)

wireless lan ??

Post by Jon Mayna » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 09:15:22

> I have absolutely no experiance with wireless networks. I am hoping a furu
> can give me a nudge in the right direction.

> Basically I wanted to know if I purchase two wireless LAN cards will I be
> able to network two PCs or will I need some kind of a wireless hub with
> that. I have a PC and a Notebook, I want to network these two (both running
> win2k)

I have a 3com wireless router\switch and a wireless NIC (LAN card).
You need both in your situation. Back in the old days you could use a
single cross over cable between two NIC's called (cheaper net) however
with the wireless technology there are no wires to cross over and as
far as I know of, no settings on the wireless NIC to do so. I'm afraid
you will need both NIC's and a wireless receiver. By the way I am
about thirty feet from the router, going through about four walls. My
performance is not as good as I had hoped with the 11Mb NIC.

Jon

wireless lan ??

Post by Sean Tierne » Thu, 04 Jul 2002 07:37:37

I have been able to network a PC (fitted with a USB wireless network
adapter) and a laptop (with a PCMIA wireless adapter) from Actiontec. You
have to use an ad-hoc protocol but it works quite well. You can't see (so
far) any other PCs linked to the base via a NIC though and I haven't been
able to share an internet connection. I can share files etc quite well,
though.

Quote:> > I have absolutely no experiance with wireless networks. I am hoping a
furu
> > can give me a nudge in the right direction.

> > Basically I wanted to know if I purchase two wireless LAN cards will I
be
> > able to network two PCs or will I need some kind of a wireless hub with
> > that. I have a PC and a Notebook, I want to network these two (both
running
> > win2k)

> I have a 3com wireless router\switch and a wireless NIC (LAN card).
> You need both in your situation. Back in the old days you could use a
> single cross over cable between two NIC's called (cheaper net) however
> with the wireless technology there are no wires to cross over and as
> far as I know of, no settings on the wireless NIC to do so. I'm afraid
> you will need both NIC's and a wireless receiver. By the way I am
> about thirty feet from the router, going through about four walls. My
> performance is not as good as I had hoped with the 11Mb NIC.

> Jon

1. New 2.4 GHz Frequency Hopping Wireless LAN Products By Aironet Wireless Communications, Inc.

Thought this would be of interest to the group.

Aironet Wireless Communications, Inc. (http://www.aironet.com), a leading
provider of wireless local area network (LAN) products, announced its
ARLAN 3000 wireless LAN family of PC Card adapters and access points
utilizing its new 2.4 GHz frequency hopping spread spectrum radio
frequency (RF) technology.

The ARLAN 3000 series, operating at data speed up to 1 Mbps, features a
wireless PC Card adapter (PC3000) with a snap-on antenna that conforms to
the PCMCIA Type II standards.  An embeddable version, the LM3000, is
available for OEMs.  The series also included a choice of Ethernet
(AP3000-E) or Token Ring (AP3000-T) access points that seamlessly extend
wired LAN connectivity to mobile computer users in a building or campus
environment.  Both the PC3000 and LM3000 can be configured for PCMCIA, ISA
or serial host interfaces, and come with NDIS, ODI, and Packet drivers to
support the leading network operating systems.

Those interested in obtaining more information on this product please
contact Todd Smith, Director, Product Marketing, Aironet Wireless

2. Setting Attributes of HTML thru XSL

3. RRAS/VPN security question

4. --> Question: upgrading from phone line LAN to wireless LAN

5. Renering video to texture

6. Wireless LAN to LAN linking

7. Wireless LAN<->LAN connection?

8. Secure a wireless LAN with a PIX 501?

9. HELP ! - Cisco 350 wireless LAN card and broadband

10. CISCO wireless LAN working only with Cisco Cards

11. Anyone has Cisco Aironet 350 Wireless LAN Adaptor Firmware V4.25.22