connecting notebook to desktop

Post by KIM » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 14:29:53

hi,
i am trying to figure out how to connect my notebook to my desktop so that i
can transfer files from the notebook to the desktop.  both are running
windows98SE, have ethernet cards and have USB ports.  I was tinkering with
the idea of just hooking the two up using a an ethernet cable, or USB cable.
would this be a viable solution?  would i need software to run this
mini-network of mine?
any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
KIM

connecting notebook to desktop

Post by V Kaprilia » Mon, 29 Jan 2001 07:33:09

Hello Kim

I would use the ethernet cards with a UTP Cat5 crossover cable. This will
eliminate the need to to purchase a hub.

Windows contains all of the software to network the laptop to the other
workstation.

Once the network cards are installed, it is necessary to add a unique
computer name and a common workgroup name to each workstation via Network
Properties (Network Icon) in Control Panel.

It is also necessary to add Client for Microsoft Networks (Enables a
workstation to access resources off another workstation) and File and Print
Sharing for Microsoft Networks (Which enables a workstation to share its
resources).

It also necessary to add a protocol (A common language for communications
between the two workstations (Netbeui being the easiest to configure)

This is all done from the network icon in Control Panel also.

You will need a Windows98 cd when you add these networking components.

Finally when both workstations are setup, you share drives on both
workstations by right click a drive in My Computer and selecting sharing.

Both workstations appear in Network Neighbourhood, and you can access files
in this manner.

Hope this info is a help.

Cheers

Quote:> hi,
> i am trying to figure out how to connect my notebook to my desktop so that
> can transfer files from the notebook to the desktop.  both are running
> windows98SE, have ethernet cards and have USB ports.  I was tinkering with
> the idea of just hooking the two up using a an ethernet cable, or USB
cable.
> would this be a viable solution?  would i need software to run this
> mini-network of mine?
> any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

> thanks
> KIM

1. any way to connect a wired desktop to a wireless notebook?

I just recently purchased a wireless pc card for my laptop computer
which works wonderfully.  Instead of buying a really long cat5 cable
for my desktop to connect to the wireless router (which comes with
three ports but is far away from my desktop), I was wondering if
there's any way I can get ethernet to my desktop by connecting my
desktop's ethernet card to the built-in wired ethernet of my laptop
(my laptop has both wired and wireless ethernet capability).  Is there
any program available or settings in Windows that will allow me to do
this?  Or do I just have to buy either a long cable or a pci wireless
card for my desktop?

Thanks,
Dave

2. TINY TROOPS RELEASED & Demo out now!

3. How to setup a USB-USB network between desktop and notebook

4. Netscape problems

5. Networking desktop to notebook PC - newbie needs help!

6. including qedit.h creates errors

7. DSL Sharing question - Wireless Notebook/Wired Desktop

8. Perl on VMS?

9. notebook to notebook connection thru cell phones

10. Connect notebook to AUX port

11. need help connecting to console on a serial port of a linux notebook

12. Notebook connected to mod

13. Connect mobile phone to notebook