LED on NIC is lit, LED on hub is not, please help.

LED on NIC is lit, LED on hub is not, please help.

Post by Greg Brigl » Thu, 21 Nov 2002 05:56:12

I have two computers connected to a hub.  I will call them A and B.  A
talks to the network successfully (I'm using it to post this), while B
does not.
When A is plugged into the hub (a 5 port Startech workgroup hub), the
link light on A's network card lights up, as does the light on the
corresponding hub port.  When B is connected, its network card link
LED lights up, but the hub does not.  Attempting to ping into or out
of B causes no sign of activity in the hub led or in the tx/rx lights
on B's NIC.  I read somewhere that this indicates a cable problem, but
swapping cables between A and B has no effect; "A" still works, and B
still doesn't.  Swapping ports also has no effect.  Both machines are
running RedHat Linux 7.2.   The NIC in B is a DEC 21041.

Any ideas?  Is this definitely a hardware problem, or is driver and OS
misconfiguration still a possibility (in which case I'll ask in a
linux group)?

LED on NIC is lit, LED on hub is not, please help.

Post by Ron Coo » Thu, 21 Nov 2002 09:48:39

comp.networks:

Quote:>corresponding hub port.  When B is connected, its network card link
>LED lights up, but the hub does not.  Attempting to ping into or out
>swapping cables between A and B has no effect; "A" still works, and B
>still doesn't.  Swapping ports also has no effect.  Both machines are
>running RedHat Linux 7.2.   The NIC in B is a DEC 21041.

If swapping the cables has no effect then I'd first look at the NIC in
computer B - regardless that its light is on.

Try swapping it with a low-cost unit from Linksys, Netgear, or DLink.
As I recall, the chipset in each is supported by Linux.

Ron  n1zhi

Real programmers hand-code their video streams.

Post by mik.. » Fri, 22 Nov 2002 06:29:24

> I have two computers connected to a hub.  I will call them A and B.  A
> talks to the network successfully (I'm using it to post this), while B
> does not.
> When A is plugged into the hub (a 5 port Startech workgroup hub), the
> link light on A's network card lights up, as does the light on the
> corresponding hub port.  When B is connected, its network card link
> LED lights up, but the hub does not.  Attempting to ping into or out
> of B causes no sign of activity in the hub led or in the tx/rx lights
> on B's NIC.  I read somewhere that this indicates a cable problem, but
> swapping cables between A and B has no effect; "A" still works, and B
> still doesn't.  Swapping ports also has no effect.  Both machines are
> running RedHat Linux 7.2.   The NIC in B is a DEC 21041.
> Any ideas?  Is this definitely a hardware problem, or is driver and OS
> misconfiguration still a possibility (in which case I'll ask in a
> linux group)?

Appears to be NIC jack problem.  Replace NIC in 'B'.

--

LED on NIC is lit, LED on hub is not, please help.

Post by Ayn » Fri, 22 Nov 2002 05:40:32

Check the state of the nic port settings. It could be that the nic is
not connecting to the hub because of the speed/duplex settings. Maybe
autonegotiation is not working. Just set the nic speed/duplex settings
to whatever the hub is using

Aynsley

LED on NIC is lit, LED on hub is not, please help.

Post by Ayn » Fri, 22 Nov 2002 05:49:00

Follow up to my previous post: -

Check the speed/duplex settings on the hub for reference if it is "managable".

Aynsley

1. HUB Power Led and BNC Led Blink

I'm using a HUB from an unknown manufacturer 16 port + BNC + AUI. The
problem is, when I power on the HUB I get the green power led and the
green bnc led blinking. None of the interfaces on the hub are
connected.

The Hub was working fine just before (connected to other devices)! So
i reconnected all the other devices but the problem doesn't disappear
!

I have a second HUB, exactly the same model and it reacts the same
way.

I'm wondering if there is a (universal) way to reinitialize the HUBs
or if this is a common problem linked to other factors ?

Thanks for your help
Flavian

2. Sbus card for centronics interface?

3. Reverse Patch Lead / Crossover lead - cat 5 - wiring

4. Amiga in InfoWorld

5. need help with AT registers and LED lights

6. FCC Warns Callback Providers is Propaganda

7. I know I am not Crazy.....Please Help

8. VT100/220 screen scraper

9. Am I hacked? Am I at least safe?

10. I am a dumbass (No, I am)

11. Practical Peripherals PM288MT II: "TR" LED won't stay lit

12. NEWBIE QUESTION: LED Lights

13. Verizon, three green led are lit but no connection.