Need to connect cable modem to 100BaseTX network - What to buy?

Post by Steve Winogr » Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>I have two computers with 3COM 3c905b-TX cards connected to a LinkSys
>100BaseTX 4-port hub on an Ethernet network. I am installing a cable
>modem and they say I need a 10Base connection for the cable modem to
>attach to the network.

>I *think* I need another 10/100 hub and connect the hub to the old
>100Base hub.

You do not need another hub.  Add a 10BaseT network card to one of your
computers and connect the cable modem to it.  Then get a network address
translation (NAT) or proxy server program to share the cable modem with the
other computer.  I use SyGate (http://www.sygate.com).  It is extremely easy
to set up by following the step-by-step instructions on the SyGate web site.
You can download a free trial version.

There are many other similar programs listed at:

http://www.winfiles.com/apps/98/servers-proxy.html

Windows 98 Second Edition has an Internet sharing feature built in.  See
this site for more information:

http://www.microsoft.com/insider/confidential/default.htm

See these sites for more information on cable modem sharing:

http://www.timhiggins.com
http://www.cablemodeminfo.com/cablesharing.html

See this news group, too:

comp.dcom.modems.cable

Best Wishes,
Steve

Post by Steve Winogr » Sat, 19 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>Thanks for the suggestion. It is a good one except that I've used up
>all my interrupts.

Some PCI network cards can share interrupts -- my Netgear FA310TX shares IRQ
11 with the video card and USB controller.

Do you have an unused serial, parallel, or COM port?  Disable it in the BIOS
setup program to free its IRQ.  Since you have a cable modem, you may be
able to remove a phone line modem.

Best Wishes,
Steve

1. Networking Cable Modem - Comps too far apart to connect with cable

We have 2 computers we would like to connect to a cable modem.  The
problem is... one computer is upstairs and one downstairs, in another
part of the house, and we don't need wires strung everywhere.  There
is currently a phone port and cable hideaway in each room, but not an
ethernet port.  Is there any kind of cable that can plug into the
network card on one computer, into the phone port in the downstairs
room...out the phone port in the upstairs room and into the network
card upstairs, with the computer downstairs acting as the server, and
connecting to the hub.
Yeah...I know this is probably impossible, but we are starved for
bandwidth around here, so I thought I would ask. =)

Thanks,
Shelley

2. Sequence points + how to fix volatile

3. Need 100BaseTX Cable Model

4. Outlook Express

5. Need Advice- what's a good cable modem descrambler or who to buy from?

6. DSL in Pasadena, Ca

7. Do I need a Ethernet adapter if I buy an internal cable modem?

8. Acorn games industry

9. Need help connecting two PC via Network Card and Crossed Cable

10. Connecting to Dial-up Networking messes up cable connect

11. Need help connecting two modems via standard phone cable...

12. need help connecting cable modem with NIC card

13. Dial Up Networking Dialog Box when connected via cable modem