ICS LAN works, ping works, but client can't get out

ICS LAN works, ping works, but client can't get out

Post by bry » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 08:10:47

ICS LAN works (file and printer sharing).  I finally have ping working after
installing patch to ME (both machines).  But client machine still can't see
either email or browser server.  What could this be?

ICS LAN works, ping works, but client can't get out

Post by bryant_arringto » Mon, 29 Jan 2001 04:36:55

To elaborate, client can ping host computer by name.  It cannot ping yahoo
by name or by ip.  That confuses me.  How can a client ping a host and then
not be able to ping the world?

Quote:> ICS LAN works (file and printer sharing).  I finally have ping working
after
> installing patch to ME (both machines).  But client machine still can't
see
> either email or browser server.  What could this be?

ICS LAN works, ping works, but client can't get out

Post by Halfto » Mon, 29 Jan 2001 05:30:34

Take a look at
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
or
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/J_Helmig/trouble.htm
Both have good howto's and troubleshooters
But it sounds like you just need to set the ICS Host IP in the Clients
Default Gateway
HTH
Joe

> To elaborate, client can ping host computer by name.  It cannot ping yahoo
> by name or by ip.  That confuses me.  How can a client ping a host and
then
> not be able to ping the world?

> > ICS LAN works (file and printer sharing).  I finally have ping working
> after
> > installing patch to ME (both machines).  But client machine still can't
> see
> > either email or browser server.  What could this be?

ICS LAN works, ping works, but client can't get out

Post by bryant_arringto » Mon, 29 Jan 2001 08:42:55

That is not how ICS works from what I've read and been told.  To set the
gateway you would have to set static ips.

> Take a look at
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
> or
> http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/J_Helmig/trouble.htm
> Both have good howto's and troubleshooters
> But it sounds like you just need to set the ICS Host IP in the Clients
> Default Gateway
> HTH
> Joe

> > To elaborate, client can ping host computer by name.  It cannot ping
yahoo
> > by name or by ip.  That confuses me.  How can a client ping a host and
> then
> > not be able to ping the world?

> > > ICS LAN works (file and printer sharing).  I finally have ping working
> > after
> > > installing patch to ME (both machines).  But client machine still
can't
> > see
> > > either email or browser server.  What could this be?

ICS LAN works, ping works, but client can't get out

Post by bryant_arringto » Tue, 30 Jan 2001 23:46:15

I finally found the problem.  Win98ME doesn't reliably do two things with my
Netgear system.  First, it automatically gives the FA310TX card the wrong
driver.  I fixed that.  But then, it uses a class B ip for it because even
though the Network setting shows the right card, as it goes out, ME reads it
as a DEC card and assigns the wrong ip class.  Then, when the client machine
trys to read that ip, it is looking for a class c address and can't find it.
I have also found ME to be flaky with many halted starts and shut-downs and
too many crashes.  I'm changing to win2000pro which should fix it all.

ICS LAN works, ping works, but client can't get out

Post by CAME » Sat, 17 Feb 2001 14:00:57

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001 18:10:47 -0500, "bry"

>ICS LAN works (file and printer sharing).  I finally have ping working after
>installing patch to ME (both machines).  But client machine still can't see
>either email or browser server.  What could this be?

I belive it is the lan setting on the Client machine trying to
communicate to a non existing route to the internet.

Go to Control Panel, Select Internet Options, Select Connections tab.
LAN settings, Use Proxy Server, I believe you insert either 127.0.0.1
for local host, port 80, or the IP address of the connected Computer,
Port 80.  I can't remember now, since I have recently attached a
Linksys Hub instead of through ICS.

This may be enough ammunition to help fix your problem.

CAMEL

1. Normal Ping works / Larger Ping does not work

Dear Cisco Jedis,

I have a Cisco router, in a remote location, that uses a frame relay
link.

I'm able to traceroute to the remote router from my workstation.

I'm able to traceroute back from the remote router.

I'm able to ping the remote router from my workstation.

I'm able to ping my workstation from the remote router.

Here is the problem.....

A normal 100-byte ping works.   If you increase the ping-size, to let's
say to 500-byte ping, I'll loose at least half of the packets...??

If I increase the ping byte size to 1500... nothing goes through??

The remote router/link is only able to handle a small 100-byte ping...
data of any "sizeable" size won't make it through... webpages, e-mail,
etc.... I'm only able to telnet to the remote router... and default-
sized pings will work with it.... no other larger-sized data will go
through... any ideas what is causing this behavior?

My other remote router doesn't have this problem (with the above tests).

Please reply....

Thanks!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Question: Encryption of Zip and running from a Zip file

3. Getting MediaOne's 1-way Cable Modem Service to work in a shared LAN environment

4. Diamond Supra Express V90 upgrade beta...anyone tried?

5. VPN Works on local LAN, but Remote Clients can't access server

6. Soft Input Panel does not work at Power On Password

7. Ping, ICS, Network Neiborhood not working

8. Does Conseal NT works with Proxy Server software?

9. Cisco 760 - some PC works - Some PC's can't ping to cisco

10. 3 routers, ping to router on remote WAN is work but not to work reverse order

11. Almost have ICS working on Client machine

12. ICS Client quits working

13. Getting DIVA LAN Moden to work in Europe/India