Help - Others on my peer network can't see me.

Help - Others on my peer network can't see me.

Post by nOFuTuR » Fri, 24 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I had 3 Win98 machines networked and working great until I installed a
cable modem card in my main computer. I can see the other computers
and transfer files, but they can't see me in network neighborhood and
can't initiate file transfers from them to me.  What's weird, though,
is the other computers access the internet thru my computer using
IShare, just as they did before I installed the cablemodem. I use
TCP/IP with the cablemodem, NetBeui with all 3 NICs.  Any ideas on
what my problem is?

Help - Others on my peer network can't see me.

Post by Tom Har » Fri, 24 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Possibly file and print sharing is turned off on your machine that acts as
your proxy, but you do not want to turn that feature on when you have a
permanent connection to the internet, due to hackers. Your solution might be
to use PC Firewall or Black Ice, then you could turn on file and print
sharing.

-Tom

Quote:> I had 3 Win98 machines networked and working great until I installed a
> cable modem card in my main computer. I can see the other computers
> and transfer files, but they can't see me in network neighborhood and
> can't initiate file transfers from them to me.  What's weird, though,
> is the other computers access the internet thru my computer using
> IShare, just as they did before I installed the cablemodem. I use
> TCP/IP with the cablemodem, NetBeui with all 3 NICs.  Any ideas on
> what my problem is?

Help - Others on my peer network can't see me.

Post by nOFuTuR » Sat, 25 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Nope, file and printer sharing is on, but they can't see me.  This is
really bugging me.

Quote:>Possibly file and print sharing is turned off on your machine that acts as
>your proxy, but you do not want to turn that feature on when you have a
>permanent connection to the internet, due to hackers. Your solution might be
>to use PC Firewall or Black Ice, then you could turn on file and print
>sharing.

>-Tom

Help - Others on my peer network can't see me.

Post by thar » Sun, 26 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Do you have 2 NIC's in the machine with the cable modem?

> Nope, file and printer sharing is on, but they can't see me.  This is
> really bugging me.

> >Possibly file and print sharing is turned off on your machine that acts
as
> >your proxy, but you do not want to turn that feature on when you have a
> >permanent connection to the internet, due to hackers. Your solution might
be
> >to use PC Firewall or Black Ice, then you could turn on file and print
> >sharing.

> >-Tom

1. v2.2 Server sees others, others can't see it

Hello all,
  I had previously posted about how to set the internal network
address on a v2.2 server.  I'm not sure if this problem is related.
This is a dedicated v2.2 server that has been in service for over a
year.  After getting a few screens worth of "Router config error"
messages, it crashed.  Since that time, after the server boots, it
can't finish loading any VAPs, only a few commands will work on the
console prompt (reset router, track on/off, display servers/networks,
down, and config).  DISPLAY SERVERS after reset router will show other
servers talking to it, but the other servers can't see it.  Track on
shows that every once in a while, the problem server will respond to a
"Get nearest server" with a "Give nearest server", but SLIST and other
consoles still won't recognize it.  No hardware/software has been
changed to cause the problem.    Any suggestions/comments?
Thanks,
Myron
C. Myron Ware   Senior Prog/Analyst, CNE |    NASA Langley Research Center
Voice (804) 864-9250  Fax (804) 864-7676 |    13 Langley Blvd, MS 157B

              http://cnb-www.larc.nasa.gov/~ware/cmw-home.html
~!

2. IBM Smalltalk, VisualAge...

3. NIC can be seen by others, but can't see them

4. Help -> Home Inspection Software for the AS/400

5. Can't get peer to peer networking to work?

6. can't ping the default gateway

7. One machine can browse 'net but not peer-to-peer network

8. Sendmail Domain Problems

9. WIN95 Peer to Peer Network browsing - can't see other machines

10. Adding DOS systems to w'95 peer-peer network...

11. Can't get 1 of 4 computers to apear on a peer to peer network

12. Can't reconnect peer to peer network

13. peer-to-peer network..why wont 'it work????