Change User-Agent http header

Post by Edu » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 10:38:39

Hi,

I would like to change the line that my web browser (IE 6.0 on a WinXP)
sends within an HTTP request:

for one of my own, for example:

What do I have to modify? I've changed the reg entry:
HKEY_USERS\...\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\User-Agent but it didn't work.

Thanks in advance

Edu

Change User-Agent http header

Post by Michae » Mon, 14 Oct 2002 07:38:07

The only way I know is to install a firewall program that allows you to
control this. Norton Personal Firewall  for one.

Mike

"La Longue Carabine"

          |"...no elector should ever submit himself
          | so implicitly to party as to support a man
          | whose private acts prove him to be unfit
          | for a public trust. The basis of the rep-
          | resentative system is character, and without
          | character, no man should be confided in."

                           -James Fenimore Cooper

Quote:> Hi,

> I would like to change the line that my web browser (IE 6.0 on a WinXP)
> sends within an HTTP request:

> for one of my own, for example:

> What do I have to modify? I've changed the reg entry:
> HKEY_USERS\...\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
> Settings\User-Agent but it didn't work.

> Edu

Change User-Agent http header

Post by WinFiel » Tue, 15 Oct 2002 00:02:57

ProxoMitron proxy program will easily do this for you.
        http://proxomitron.cjb.net/

As a Web Filter, ProxoM can filter ads and a lot more.

        -Winfield

> The only way I know is to install a firewall program that allows you to
> control this. Norton Personal Firewall  for one.

> Mike

> --
> "La Longue Carabine"

>           |"...no elector should ever submit himself
>           | so implicitly to party as to support a man
>           | whose private acts prove him to be unfit
>           | for a public trust. The basis of the rep-
>           | resentative system is character, and without
>           | character, no man should be confided in."

>                            -James Fenimore Cooper

>>Hi,

>>I would like to change the line that my web browser (IE 6.0 on a WinXP)
>>sends within an HTTP request:

>>for one of my own, for example:

>>What do I have to modify? I've changed the reg entry:
>>HKEY_USERS\...\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
>>Settings\User-Agent but it didn't work.

>>Edu

1. Redirecting HTTP traffic based on host-header (or URL request)

I have been asked to see if I can have our Pix firewall route incoming web
requests (on port 80) to different machines based on the requesting URL.   I
am not intimately familar with all the network layers, but it sounds like
the Pix would have to be aware of the HTTP traffic and not just the IP
traffic.  Currently, our Pix routes all incoming traffic on port 80 to an
internal machine inside our LAN (regardless of what url was typed, if DNS
resolves it to the external interface, it gets routed to box 10.10.5.2.

What I would like to do is to (and I have no idea if this functionality
exists within the Pix), but add some sort of filter exception (conceptual
terms here), where if requests come in on say: xxx.mycompany.com they get
routed to a different machine.  Any other requests continue to go to our
main web server.

Our main web server btw is Apache 2.0 and I looked through the docs briefly
and know there are ways of redirecting within the same machine using
host-headers.  In other words, all requests continue to go to a single web
server, who then determines where it should go (not sure if it can redirect
to another machine, but I know it can redirect to other pages on the same
machine--creating a virtual host environment).

The problem is this second machine I need to redirect to is running IIS
under Windows.   Furthermore, if I were able to configure apache to redirect
requests based on URL request, would there be other issues such as cookies,
session state (the IIS site uses ASP.NET).

These unknowns has got me looking back at the Pix again, if I could route
traffic before it hits any web server, I think that would be a much cleaner
solution.  The question is, does Pix support this, and if so, how would I
configure it?

Thanks,

2. How to do triple-mouse click

3. HTTP Content probe using host headers on LD

4. Multisessions (linked or not linked?)

5. HTTP Headers

6. Terminal Services Hangs on Reboot

7. Catching a HTTP header sent from a browser

8. Money 2000 "Unexpected Error" when updating institution information

9. Apple and FR (changed header)

10. MHS Header Replacing User Login Scripts

11. Holy Change Agent! Consultants Edit Out Jargon

12. change default http port

13. A program which can monitor HTTP service and change DNS recor d on fail?