network question

Post by tech » Mon, 25 Jan 1999 04:00:00

hi everyone,

i am looking for way to communicate between two or more pcs over the
network.
what i need to do is to control output signals to serial ports and start
programs when certain inputs come from any of the pcs involved. does
anyone know a software that can help me with that? I thought about
writing some kind of shell in visual basic but i dont know how to
communicate between the shells on each pc. what i want to do is to
synchronize several pc's that control video equipment. i thought about
using status files but i feel there might me too many possible error
sources involved (e.g. file locking, drive capacity).

any help is appreciated

thomas

network question

Post by Luca Filipoz » Mon, 25 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> hi everyone,

> i am looking for way to communicate between two or more pcs over the
> network.
> what i need to do is to control output signals to serial ports and start
> programs when certain inputs come from any of the pcs involved. does
> anyone know a software that can help me with that? I thought about
> writing some kind of shell in visual basic but i dont know how to
> communicate between the shells on each pc. what i want to do is to
> synchronize several pc's that control video equipment. i thought about
> using status files but i feel there might me too many possible error
> sources involved (e.g. file locking, drive capacity).

> any help is appreciated

> thomas

You probably want to write a client-server based program, where one PC is
the server and the other one is the client, using sockets. This is not
difficult and you can get read about it in any book that discusses TCP/IP
programming or in the example programs that come with MS Visual C++. You
can certainly write the client in VB and maybe the server, too. The only
issue might be the latency in communicating between the two programs.
NT/95 might not give you the deterministic behaviour that you need for
video control.

Then you need to design how the client and server interact... there's a
lot to this.

Hope I've given some ideas,

Luca
--

network question

Post by Pavlo Barvink » Tue, 26 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hello!

Take a look at

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Network/8827/

There you in "Programming" you can find simple model of client-server
application and base classes.

Regards,
 Paul

>hi everyone,

>i am looking for way to communicate between two or more pcs over the
>network.
>what i need to do is to control output signals to serial ports and start
>programs when certain inputs come from any of the pcs involved. does
>anyone know a software that can help me with that? I thought about
>writing some kind of shell in visual basic but i dont know how to
>communicate between the shells on each pc. what i want to do is to
>synchronize several pc's that control video equipment. i thought about
>using status files but i feel there might me too many possible error
>sources involved (e.g. file locking, drive capacity).

>any help is appreciated

>thomas

1. Networking Question...help me...what is Network Interface Card

1. What resources other than printers are LAN-attached computers likely to
   share?
2. What is the function of a network interface card?
3. In simple terms, what is the difference between an operating system
    and a network operating systems?
4. What is the top-down model and why is it important?
5. Discuss the importance of each of the following terms of distributed
   computing: transparency, scalability and portability.
6. What are some of the variables that make interprocess communication a
complicated technology?
7. What is middleware, and what is its relationship to distributed
applications and the enterprise network?
8. What types of traffic might an enterprise network carry?
9. What are some of the potential drawbacks or cautions to upgrading to a
LAN switch?
10. What is the disadvantage of using external adapters on notebook or
laptop computers?
11. What is the functional role of a network interface card driver?
12. Differentiate between the three major LAN switch traffic monitoring
and management techniques.
13. Differentiate between today's client network operating system and the
client portion of client/server network operating systems.
14. Describe the major categories of functionality of client network
operating systems.
15. Why don't some client and server network operating systems support
real-mode device drivers?
16. What is the function of the I/O manager in Windows NT?
17. Why are trust relationships important to domain-based user accounts in
Windows NT?
18. What is DHCP, and why is it important?
19. Describe the use of data-link layer addresses by bridges.
20. Is switching more like bridging or routing? Why? What is the main
advantage of using switching?

2. Bind 8.2.2.t3b port to NT

3. A networking question for networking geniuses!

4. Tape Backup...

5. Hypothetical Cablemodem Networking Question - the network game store

6. Fingerprint compare request

7. A networking question for networking geniuses!

8. IRQ Sharing and W2K

9. Secure network question???

10. Home Network Question

11. networking question