Networking PC with Windows ME and PC with NT

Networking PC with Windows ME and PC with NT

Post by te » Sun, 17 Jun 2001 07:02:35

I have a pc at home with Windows ME. I have a laptop with Windows NT.
Both of them have Ethernet cards in them. I have an Ethernet crossover
cable. Is it possible to form a network with these?
I tried to follow the instructions on my pc to setup the home network
but looks like the set up process requires all computers to have
either ME or 95 or 98 versions of Windows. Has anyone tried this and
succeeded? If there are alternatives to setup a network with these
PCs, that's fine too.
I really appreciate your help. Thanks, Ted.

Post by Timothy Klapth » Mon, 18 Jun 2001 10:06:52

> I have a pc at home with Windows ME. I have a laptop with Windows NT.
> Both of them have Ethernet cards in them. I have an Ethernet crossover
> cable. Is it possible to form a network with these?
> I tried to follow the instructions on my pc to setup the home network
> but looks like the set up process requires all computers to have
> either ME or 95 or 98 versions of Windows. Has anyone tried this and
> succeeded? If there are alternatives to setup a network with these
> PCs, that's fine too.
> I really appreciate your help. Thanks, Ted.

You can setup a network basically by sharing files on both computers
then once that is done then both computers should see each other in
network neighborhood

Networking PC with Windows ME and PC with NT

Post by Craig Schmi » Mon, 18 Jun 2001 11:54:59

Ted,
1. You may have both computers set to automatically obtain TCP/IP
addresses. If that is the case and you do not have a DHCP server
(since you are using a crossover cable.) The ME machine will asign
itself an address via AIPA of 169.254.x.x but the Windows NT machine
does not use AIPA and will not have a IP address in the same range as
the ME machine. On the ME machine type WINIPCFG and the run command
and check the address information (make sure you are looking at the
ether card and not the PPP adapter). Then on the NT machine go to a
Command Prompt and type IPCONFIG. Take note of the addresses.

2. Your options would be to statically assign IP addresses on each
machine or you can use NetBEUI

3. If you set the addresses yourself try 192.168.0.1 on the ME and
192.168.0.2 of the NT and set the subnet mask on both machines to
255.255.255.0

4. If you set the addresses yourself on the laptop and at work there
is a DHCP server you will not be able to get on that network unless
you setup a Hardware Profile.

I hope that this helps and have fun :-)
~Craig

> I have a pc at home with Windows ME. I have a laptop with Windows NT.
> Both of them have Ethernet cards in them. I have an Ethernet crossover
> cable. Is it possible to form a network with these?
> I tried to follow the instructions on my pc to setup the home network
> but looks like the set up process requires all computers to have
> either ME or 95 or 98 versions of Windows. Has anyone tried this and
> succeeded? If there are alternatives to setup a network with these
> PCs, that's fine too.
> I really appreciate your help. Thanks, Ted.

Networking PC with Windows ME and PC with NT

Post by Sam Bha » Wed, 20 Jun 2001 17:44:18

Hello,
To add to what was written before, you could try instaling a DHCP
Server on your NT Box. To do this, go to the "services" tab in the
networking dialog box, click on add and choose DHCP Service.

If you go to the "Administrator Tools (Common)" in the start menu, you
should be able to set a scope (starting ip and ending ip" and set the
machine to obtain an ip address from that.

E-mail me if you need more info.

Sam Bhatt,
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~dreamweb

> I have a pc at home with Windows ME. I have a laptop with Windows NT.
> Both of them have Ethernet cards in them. I have an Ethernet crossover
> cable. Is it possible to form a network with these?
> I tried to follow the instructions on my pc to setup the home network
> but looks like the set up process requires all computers to have
> either ME or 95 or 98 versions of Windows. Has anyone tried this and
> succeeded? If there are alternatives to setup a network with these
> PCs, that's fine too.
> I really appreciate your help. Thanks, Ted.

1. Dos PC to Windows PC Network

I Desperately need to set up a network between a Dos 386sx 2MB PC and a
Windows 3.1 486 DX2 8MB PC.
Either peer to peer or server to client, with the Dos PC being the server.
Both machines have 3Com Ethernet cards and software installed. but I don`t
know what else I need.
I`ve been offered WFWG 3.11 but I doubt that this will be enough on it`s
own as I would think that the Dos machine would need either be set up as a
peer or a server.
If I can`t have a proper network then I`ll settle for file access please.

Is what I`m trying to do possible or do I need two WFWG 3.11 PC`s to do
this.
any suggestions will be gratefully acknowledged.
Help.

Mick.

2. Pandora and quotation marks

3. US West DSL & networking PCs -- Do you need 2 network cards in one PC?

4. newbie - selecting unique element

5. How to network two PCs using Windows NT Wokstation 3.51

6. Wireless communications

7. High Tier PCS versus Low Tier PCS (was How "Mini" Are PCS Sites?)

8. comp.apps.spreadsheets FAQ

9. Shut down windows on all PC's from one PC?

10. Info on connecting PC to PC and PC to Mac using Null Modem cable Wanted

11. Best pc to pc remote networking solution

12. Wireless ad-hoc network with a laptop and a PC, the PC keeps completely locking up.

13. How to network 3 PCs with a cable connection on the server PC?