Transferring files between work(DOS) and home (WIN95),will not work....Help!!!!!!!

Transferring files between work(DOS) and home (WIN95),will not work....Help!!!!!!!

Post by William E. Kem » Sat, 02 Dec 1995 04:00:00

:  I have a new computer at home that came preinstalled with WIN95 and a
:computer at work that has DOS 6.0. I was using the backup and restore
:commands in DOS to move files between my work and home computer, but
:that doesn't work with win95. I don't think WIN95's DOS has that. What
:is the best way to share files between a DOS computer and a WIN95
:computer???? The files I need to share are about 3.5 meg. Thank's
:Gene

Several ways to do this, but the one I'd suggest is using PKZIP.  Not
only can you do exactly the same thing with it as you do with
backup/restore, but it will compress the data, thus taking fewer
disks.  You should be able to find a copy of this on the net with
little problem.  And a little bonus:  get WinZip for your 95 machine.
It is completely compatible with PKZIP, and has the windows look and
feel.
-----
William E. Kempf          : http://www.novia.net/~srwillrd

Post by Eugene DesJardin » Sat, 02 Dec 1995 04:00:00

  I have a new computer at home that came preinstalled with WIN95 and a
computer at work that has DOS 6.0. I was using the backup and restore
commands in DOS to move files between my work and home computer, but
that doesn't work with win95. I don't think WIN95's DOS has that. What
is the best way to share files between a DOS computer and a WIN95
computer???? The files I need to share are about 3.5 meg. Thank's
Gene

Transferring files between work(DOS) and home (WIN95),will not work....Help!!!!!!!

Post by Lee Wein » Sun, 03 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>  I have a new computer at home that came preinstalled with WIN95 and a
>computer at work that has DOS 6.0. I was using the backup and restore
>commands in DOS to move files between my work and home computer, but
>that doesn't work with win95. I don't think WIN95's DOS has that. What
>is the best way to share files between a DOS computer and a WIN95
>computer???? The files I need to share are about 3.5 meg. Thank's
>Gene

I don't know if this is the best way, but I use PKZIP 2.04g to transfer
large files.  This version has the capability to span more than one disk
if the archive file is larger than 1.4M.  It is available at almost any
shareware FTP site.

Lee Weiner

"The worst day I ever spent programming was better
 than the best day I ever spent playing golf."

Post by J » Mon, 04 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>  I have a new computer at home that came preinstalled with WIN95 and a
>computer at work that has DOS 6.0. I was using the backup and restore
>commands in DOS to move files between my work and home computer, but
>that doesn't work with win95. I don't think WIN95's DOS has that. What
>is the best way to share files between a DOS computer and a WIN95
>computer???? The files I need to share are about 3.5 meg. Thank's
>Gene

Gene,

Make yourself a floppy boot disk at work using you 6.0 dos and copy
the backup and restore commands from dos onto the bootable disk.
Backup your files at work as you normally would and when you get home
boot your WIN95 computer using the boot disk.  Run the restore command
from the boot disk to restore to the C: drive of your WIN95 computer.

Post by ~{6- » Tue, 05 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>>  I have a new computer at home that came preinstalled with WIN95 and a
>>computer at work that has DOS 6.0. I was using the backup and restore
>>commands in DOS to move files between my work and home computer, but
>>that doesn't work with win95. I don't think WIN95's DOS has that. What
>>is the best way to share files between a DOS computer and a WIN95
>>computer???? The files I need to share are about 3.5 meg. Thank's
>>Gene

>Gene,

>Make yourself a floppy boot disk at work using you 6.0 dos and copy
>the backup and restore commands from dos onto the bootable disk.
>Backup your files at work as you normally would and when you get home
>boot your WIN95 computer using the boot disk.  Run the restore command
>from the boot disk to restore to the C: drive of your WIN95 computer.

there is a msdos add-on for win95 which allows you to run a full
operational dos7.0 with Win95. It's multitasking. you can copy, backup
or restore from (or to) floppy while you do other thing(such as post a
piece to newsgroup). Great for those always like to run dos box under
win95 like me.

--
Hao Dong

Transferring files between work(DOS) and home (WIN95),will not work....Help!!!!!!!

Post by Bernie O'Reil » Thu, 11 Jan 1996 04:00:00

It happend on 4 Dec 1995 05:21:20 GMT, When in article

>there is a msdos add-on for win95 which allows you to run a full
>operational dos7.0 with Win95. It's multitasking. you can copy, backup
>or restore from (or to) floppy while you do other thing(such as post a
>piece to newsgroup). Great for those always like to run dos box under
>win95 like me.

>--
>Hao Dong

Please tell me what this util is called and how to get it. Does it have
LAN capabilites as well?

--
*     Bernie O'Reilly     *