HELP! Why zero length files in print queue?

HELP! Why zero length files in print queue?

Post by Juha No » Tue, 14 May 1996 04:00:00

Hello network experts!

I have the following environment:
- small network: one NT 3.51 server and about half a dozen WFW 3.11 workstations
- a HP DeskJet 610 connected to one workstation sharing the printer

the problem:
- when someone sends a print job to the DJ it prints it, but after it is done
the job remains in the queue with the status "Printing" but the size is 0 kb.
The spool file is removed and the workstation that sent the job sees it as
printer error. Of course no other jobs get printed because the 0 kb blockes the
queue and cannot be removed without stopping the share. The situation also gives
the shakes to the mouse pointer on the sharing workstation.

the funny part:
- no problem with printing from the workstation doing the sharing.

solutions allready unsuccesfully tried:
- connecting the printer to another workstation
- trying a different cable

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Juha Noro
Noro Consulting Oy
http://personal.eunet.fi/pp/noro/
Wing Commander callsign: Predator

HELP! Why zero length files in print queue?

Post by Robert Reev » Tue, 14 May 1996 04:00:00

: Hello network experts!

I'm no expert, but sounds like an HP printer driver problem. Look at the
PRINTMAN.EXE in the Windows directory of the workstation - if it's not the
original MS one, replace it. This worked for me...

--
!

!!

Post by Chris Rober » Wed, 15 May 1996 04:00:00

>Hello network experts!
>I have the following environment:
>- small network: one NT 3.51 server and about half a dozen WFW 3.11 workstations
>- a HP DeskJet 610 connected to one workstation sharing the printer
>the problem:
>- when someone sends a print job to the DJ it prints it, but after it is done
>the job remains in the queue with the status "Printing" but the size is 0 kb.
>The spool file is removed and the workstation that sent the job sees it as
>printer error. Of course no other jobs get printed because the 0 kb blockes the
>queue and cannot be removed without stopping the share. The situation also gives
>the shakes to the mouse pointer on the sharing workstation.

There is a bug in the version of Print Manager which is installed by
some HP printer drivers.  You should replace it with the original WFWG
3.11 Print Manager.

Refer: HP report bpl02471.asc

=====================

HP LASERJET PRINTING SYSTEM SUPPORT IN WINDOWS FOR WORKGROUPS V. 3.11

  Versions of the HP LaserJet Printing System included with HP
  LaserJet printers built previous to the release of Windows for
  Workgroups 3.11 (versions 31.v1.26, 31.v1.27 and 31.v1.30) do not
  support installation into the Windows for Workgroups 3.11
  environment.  The HP LaserJet Printing System version 31.v1.35
  installation program has been enhanced to allow installation in
  Windows for Workgroups 3.11.

  Many customers have experienced printing problems in Windows for
  Workgroups 3.11.  Among these are:

  *  The job in the queue goes to 0 bytes and will not delete.
  *  The printing process locks up without completing the job.

  This problem results from the Print Manager files for Windows for
  Workgroups 3.11 being overwritten by Print Manager files from some
  other version of Windows, especially Windows for Workgroups software
  v3.1.  Several vendors have included earlier versions of Print
  Manager in their products, including: PC vendors, printer vendors,
  etc.

  If you are experiencing the above printing problems, the following
  procedure will restore the original Print Manager file set included
  with Windows for Workgroups 3.11.

          Note:     The following workaround is provided to
                    assist customers who are experiencing
                    the problems described above and suspect
                    that their original Print Manager files
                    that have been written over by an
                    installation utility.

                    Hewlett-Packard provides this workaround
                    in good faith and is not responsible for
                    problems associated with it's use.
                    Hewlett-Packard will only assist
                    customers who have incurred this problem
                    as a result of installing products
                    purchased from Hewlett-Packard.

  1. Determine which version of the Print Manager is currently
     installed.  Check the Windows for Workgroups 3.11 directory (e.g.
     C:\WFW) for the following files:
              PRINTMAN.EXE
              PRINTMAN.HLP
     If these files are not dated 11-01-93, they are probably not the
     original Print Manager files and may need to be replaced.

  2. Locate the original Print Manager files. These files are
     compressed and will likely be found on Disk 3 and Disk 4 of the
     Windows for Workgroups 3.11 package.
            Filename        Date

            PRINTMAN.EX_    11-01-93
            PRINTMAN.HL_    11-01-93
  3. From the DOS prompt, use the EXPAND.EXE utility that comes with
     Windows for Workgroups 3.11 to decompress the Print Manager files
     into your Windows for Workgroups directory.  For example, if your
     Windows for Workgroups directory is C:\WFW and the Windows for
     Workgroups program diskette that contains the Print Manager files
     is in drive A:, you would enter the following:
     c:\wfw\expand  a:printman.ex_  c:\wfw\printman.exe
     c:\wfw\expand  a:printman.hl_  c:\wfw\printman.hlp

  4. You must exit and restart Windows for Workgroups for the changes
     to Print Manager to become effective.

          NOTE:     The current version of the LaserJet 4
                    Family printer driver for Windows will
                    not write over the existing Printman.exe
                    file.  It is available from HP
                    distribution (970) 339-7009 (V1.35) and
                    may be downloaded from the HP BBS (208)
                    344-1691 (V1.50).

                                HP FIRST #:  1960, BPL02471, 26-Dec-95
            Copyright  Hewlett-Packard Co. 1995
  This information is subject to change without notice and
           is provided "as is" with no warranty.
    Hewlett-Packard shall not be liable for any direct,
   indirect, special, incidental or consequential damages
        in connection with the use of this material.
                 Windows or MS Windows is a
          U.S. trademark of Microsoft Corporation.

=========================
Regards,
Chris Roberts

Post by Juha No » Sat, 18 May 1996 04:00:00

>HP LASERJET PRINTING SYSTEM SUPPORT IN WINDOWS FOR WORKGROUPS V. 3.11

Thanks. It worked.

Juha Noro
Noro Consulting Oy
http://personal.eunet.fi/pp/noro/
Wing Commander callsign: Predator

HELP! Why zero length files in print queue?

Post by Juha No » Sat, 18 May 1996 04:00:00

>I'm no expert, but sounds like an HP printer driver problem. Look at the
>PRINTMAN.EXE in the Windows directory of the workstation - if it's not the
>original MS one, replace it. This worked for me...

Thanks. For me too.