Best Small Peer-to-Peer Network?

Post by diane1 » Thu, 21 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I'm looking to set up a small peer-to-peer network for a friend's
business.

He has 3 pcs; 2 with Win95 and 1 with 3.1, all Pentiums.

One of the major requirements is that it should be easy to support, as
I already have a full-time job!  :)  He's fairly literate, so I'm
hoping that once he's up and running he'll be able to take care of
most things on his own.

I've taken a quick look at Novell's Personal Netware, but I'm
wondering if he should just stick with Win95.  I haven't been able to
look at the Resource Kit yet to see what it says.  I am already
familiar with Novell 4.1, but did use Win95 on my pc for about 4
months.  How much setup time am I looking at if I go that route?

Thoughts, suggestions, and real-world experiances are appreciated!

Thanks a million,

Diane

Post by c.. » Fri, 22 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc
> Subject: Best Small Peer-to-Peer Network?
> Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 19:41:26 GMT

> I'm looking to set up a small peer-to-peer network for a friend's
> business.

> He has 3 pcs; 2 with Win95 and 1 with 3.1, all Pentiums.

> One of the major requirements is that it should be easy to support, as
> I already have a full-time job!  :)  He's fairly literate, so I'm
> hoping that once he's up and running he'll be able to take care of
> most things on his own.

> I've taken a quick look at Novell's Personal Netware, but I'm
> wondering if he should just stick with Win95.  I haven't been able to
> look at the Resource Kit yet to see what it says.  I am already
> familiar with Novell 4.1, but did use Win95 on my pc for about 4
> months.  How much setup time am I looking at if I go that route?

> Thoughts, suggestions, and real-world experiances are appreciated!

> Thanks a million,

> Diane

Why don't you use what you have.  If you upgrade the Windows 3.1 machine to
Windows for Workgroups or Windows 95, you will have a very nice peer-to-peer
network.  All you need is a concentrator, network cards and 10-base-T cable
and you are ready to share files and printers.  Support is easy if you already
know Windows.

Bill Vanderhoof, CNA

Best Small Peer-to-Peer Network?

Post by LIZ » Sat, 23 Mar 1996 04:00:00

For peer-to-peer network all you need is WIN3.1 for Workgroups and WIN95.
It contains network software.  In Win3.1 there should be two items in the
network: Netbeui and IPX... after adding the driver provided by the
network card.  For WIN95 follow the instructions on
http://www.windows95.com for peer-to-peer setup.
Good Luck.

1. Bizarre problem with small peer-to-peer 10Base-T network: please help urgently!

Hello

I'm relatively new to networking in general, and I really need an
experienced expert to help me out with this one, please.

Network details:

7-computer 10Base-T network
Accton 10/100Base-T NICs
Accton 8-port 10Base-T hub
Win98 throughout
NetBEUI

The network has worked flawlessly for months, until a couple of new
computers were added, involving some swapping around of PCs.

The problem is this: on one computer, the user can see the rest of the
network in Network Neighbourhood but not himself, and the rest of the
network can't see him. So he can quite happily access shared resources on
the network, but when someone else wants to access his shared resources,
they can't!

Sometimes this user will reboot, and find that he can see himself in Network
Neighbourhood, and other computers on the network can see him too. But as
soon as the other users try and access his resources, an error message is
given to the effect of not being able to find that user on the network.

I have tried reinstalling Windows, changing the NIC, reinstalling all
drivers, changing protocols, you name it. I'm desperate!

If the networking didn't work at all on this PC that would be one thing, but
how can the user see the rest of the network, and they not be able to see
him? To me this doesn't make sense!

One thing that I didn't do was re-format the PC's HD, but I did delete the
Windows folder and re-install. Is it possible that some of the
network-related files in the root directory could have perpetuated the
problem after the Windows re-installation?

Any input would be most appreciated.

Regards

Justin

2. Access violation with ifstream

3. Best way to add a file server to peer to peer network?

4. DXBIN - different layers?

5. Best advice for simple peer to peer network

6. ICMP / UDP Packets ?

7. Best cheap peer-peer network?

8. moving from SC4.2 to SC5.0

9. >> Win95 Peer-to-peer Network Linked with NT Network <<

10. Bridging two Peer-to-Peer Networks

11. peer-to-peer networking and on the internet

12. Win95 and Windows NT peer-to-peer network inside NW 4.11