Best way to add a file server to peer to peer network?

Best way to add a file server to peer to peer network?

Post by Kenny Falcone » Fri, 02 Feb 2001 17:21:48

We have a 10 PC peer to peer network running a mixture of Windows 98 &
Windows 2000. We are thinking of adding a central file server to allow easy
& frequent backup of data. We do not intend running any application software
on the server, it would only be used as a file server.

Are there any alternatives to purchasing a dedicated server machine &
installing something like NT or Novell client/server software?

We have plenty 'old' PC's kicking about but they lack a bit in horsepower.
We are trying to avoid the cost of purchasing a new server & the cost of
buying a 10 licence NT package.

We do file share at the moment over the network but things are a little
slow.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Regards

Kenny Falconer

Best way to add a file server to peer to peer network?

Post by Command » Sat, 03 Feb 2001 09:52:40

Hi Kenny
    If you do not mind learning a new operating system, then I would suggest
using one of the Linux flavors. Either Redhat or Linux-Mandrake IMHO would be
your best bets.
http://www.redhat.com/
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/

You will need to use Samba on your linux box. This will allow your windows
machines the ability to access the resources of that Linux box.
http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/samba.html

Linux does not require a lot of horsepower to run well, plus you can either
download the OS off the net, or pick up a CD copy for approx. CDN$50.00.

Good luck

Commando