difference between ocelot and bx24?

Post by Richard Garabedia » Tue, 27 Aug 2002 09:24:05

I would like to know, from your collective advice, what my next upgrade to
my x10 system should be.  I currently use homeseer with a cm11a.  I would
like faster response times, for example sending a x10 "on" command from a
x10 rf remote seems to take a long (several seconds at least) time before
the command is executed by the x10 module.  I assume the bx24 takes the
place of my plug-in x10 transciever?  I know it will recognize all 16 house
codes also. Is it more sensitive to rf signals than the plug-in tw-523 used
with Ocelot?  Do both units do essentially the same thing, or am I way off?
Where is the most bang for the buck, considering what I use now?  With these
units, will I still use homeseer?  I see that the BX24 supports Ocelot,
which tells me they do different things.  I currently use a dedicated
computer running homeseer 24/7, but would like to avoid this with an upgrade
to one of these units. A stand-alone unit would be good for me.  I know
these are probably simple questions for this group, yet any advice is
appreciated.   Richard

Post by Dave Houst » Tue, 27 Aug 2002 10:30:24

>I would like to know, from your collective advice, what my next upgrade to
>my x10 system should be.  I currently use homeseer with a cm11a.  I would
>like faster response times, for example sending a x10 "on" command from a
>x10 rf remote seems to take a long (several seconds at least) time before
>the command is executed by the x10 module.  I assume the bx24 takes the
>place of my plug-in x10 transciever?  I know it will recognize all 16 house
>codes also. Is it more sensitive to rf signals than the plug-in tw-523 used
>with Ocelot?  Do both units do essentially the same thing, or am I way off?
>Where is the most bang for the buck, considering what I use now?  With these
>units, will I still use homeseer?  I see that the BX24 supports Ocelot,
>which tells me they do different things.  I currently use a dedicated
>computer running homeseer 24/7, but would like to avoid this with an upgrade
>to one of these units. A stand-alone unit would be good for me.  I know
>these are probably simple questions for this group, yet any advice is
>appreciated.   Richard

It really depends on what kinds of things you want to do.

I assume you mean the BX24-AHT (the BX-24 is the MCU it uses). It replaces
all of your RF transceivers. Users report up to 200' range with one of the
antenna designs detailed on my web pages. (A few have not gotten that kind
of range but I think that is due to things in their environment.) It can
receive standard X-10 RF, security X-10 RF, other RF sent by various X-10
remotes like MouseRemote, MP3 Remote, etc. If you have a programmable remote
it can also receive extensions to the RF protocol for Stanley garage door
sensors, for extended dims, for preset dims, and user defined RF.

It's very flexible. It can use the CM11A or an Ocelot/TW523 as its powerline
interface. Or you can just use it as the RF receiver and pass things along
to a PC. Or you can do both. It has 6KB of EEPROM for defining what actions
to take in response to received RF, for defining macros triggered by
powerline X-10, for scheduling X-10 commands by Time of Day, and for
scheduling automatic readings of ADC or Digital inputs. It can interface
with other ASCII devices via secondary RS-232 ports.

It can do much more and new features are still being added.

The best thing to do is to download the User Manual from the web page, read
through it, and then ask specific questions in the Yahoo discussion group
for the BX24-AHT.

The Ocelot has far more If/Then type of logic and can run more complex
schedules and events but it has no RF input capability (at least at this
time). Several BX24-AHT users send commands to their Ocelot based on
received RF.

If you prefer the Ocelot, you could build the RF-to-IR Converter/Repeater
from the plans on my web page and send RF commands (in)directly to the
Ocelot. You would not need the BX24-AHT. You would merely have to train the
Ocelot (or Leopard) using the repeated IR. You then program the Ocelot (or
Leopard) as if it were responding to IR (which it really is). You would not
even be limited to the NEC protocol but could send other protocols using any
programmable RF remote. You would still need to build one of the antennas to
get maximum range.

I'll publish plans to convert a standard Pronto to send RF in a week or so.

See the "RF-to-IR Converter/Repeater" on my main web page at...

     http://www.laser.com/dhouston/

EDV should have factory tuned 310MHz RF Receivers in stock within 10-14
days.

---
http://www.laser.com/dhouston/bx24-pcb.htm

Post by Brian W. Antoin » Wed, 28 Aug 2002 00:15:27

> Or you can just use it as the RF receiver and pass things along
>to a PC.

  Or at least it will do that after the next firmware release, which
I'm still eagerly awaiting. :)
--
                                      (UniKyrn on IM, ICQ#27068798)
Brian W. Antoine                         http://www.nas-kan.org/

Post by Dave Houst » Wed, 28 Aug 2002 01:48:07

>> Or you can just use it as the RF receiver and pass things along
>>to a PC.

>  Or at least it will do that after the next firmware release, which
>I'm still eagerly awaiting. :)

Well, you really can do it right now, just not for the particular software
you want to use it with. Knowing that I planned major changes, I didn't want
the fellows doing plug-ins for other systems to have to write things twice.
The new firmware is finished. It's just that I haven't had time to finish
the revisions to the Windows application that talks to it and I need that in
order to thoroughly test it.

Soon. ;)
---
http://www.laser.com/dhouston/bx24-pcb.htm

difference between ocelot and bx24?

Post by Richard Garabedia » Wed, 28 Aug 2002 05:29:50

Wow!  Thanks, Dave, for the quick response.  I will download the user
manual, but I think I will be buying both products.  The possibility of
extended RF range (with another antenna) makes the BX24-AHT very appealing
to me.  It sounds like I can do alot of if/then scenarios with Ocelot and
not have a PC running all the time.  Thanks again.

> [...]

> from the plans on my web page and send RF commands (in)directly to the
> Ocelot. You would not need the BX24-AHT. You would merely have to train
the
> Ocelot (or Leopard) using the repeated IR. You then program the Ocelot (or
> Leopard) as if it were responding to IR (which it really is). You would
not
> even be limited to the NEC protocol but could send other protocols using
any
> programmable RF remote. You would still need to build one of the antennas
> get maximum range.

> I'll publish plans to convert a standard Pronto to send RF in a week or
so.

> See the "RF-to-IR Converter/Repeater" on my main web page at...

>      http://www.laser.com/dhouston/

> EDV should have factory tuned 310MHz RF Receivers in stock within 10-14

Post by Dave Houst » Wed, 28 Aug 2002 06:31:20

They do play well together and, if I ever finish the new firmware that Mr.
Antoine (and others) are awaiting, they will even better playmates. ;)

> [...]

>> from the plans on my web page and send RF commands (in)directly to the
>> Ocelot. You would not need the BX24-AHT. You would merely have to train
>the
>> Ocelot (or Leopard) using the repeated IR. You then program the Ocelot (or
>> Leopard) as if it were responding to IR (which it really is). You would
>not
>> even be limited to the NEC protocol but could send other protocols using
>any
>> programmable RF remote. You would still need to build one of the antennas
>> get maximum range.

>> I'll publish plans to convert a standard Pronto to send RF in a week or
>so.

>> See the "RF-to-IR Converter/Repeater" on my main web page at...

>>      http://www.laser.com/dhouston/

>> EDV should have factory tuned 310MHz RF Receivers in stock within 10-14

1. What is the difference between JDS TimeCommander and Ocelot?

Hi,

I am looking for a timer better than my CM11A.

What I need is

 - turn on/off my modules in seconds
 - if then programmable

I saw JDS TimeCommander and Ocelot.
But what is the difference between them besides price.

It seems that JDS TimeCommander provide a lower level programming environment.
How about IR? Which one cover better?

Is there anyone better them both in term of function and price?

Thanks

2. Pocket IE Emulator

3. difference CPU-XA and Ocelot?

4. Need help quick: Alphabetize by last name in Excel?

5. Please Help - HP Scanjet 4c ands NT

6. Help: dvips breakdown !

7. difference in difference models?

8. Peek at all Win32 API calls in an exe.

9. BX24-AHT parts

10. Transmitting x10 RF and BX24-AHT

11. BX24-AHT features

12. can the BX24-AHT do this?