Help - Strange X10 Wall-Switch Failure

Post by CC Cra » Sun, 06 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I have two (!) Leviton X10 wall switches that failed the same day in the same
way - They will not respond to a ON command or ALL LIGHTS ON command. OFF and
ALL OFF still work as does on/off via local control.  Changing housecode and
unit codes did not help. Neither did trying a different controller or moving
the controllers location.  Any ideas???????

Thanks,
Chuck

Help - Strange X10 Wall-Switch Failure

Post by Marc H. Pope » Sun, 06 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Dont use x-10 power line carrier communication for home automation?

Quote:> I have two (!) Leviton X10 wall switches that failed the same day in the

Post by Jeff Vol » Sun, 06 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>I have two (!) Leviton X10 wall switches that failed the same day in the same
>way - They will not respond to a ON command or ALL LIGHTS ON command. OFF and
>ALL OFF still work as does on/off via local control.  Changing housecode and
>unit codes did not help. Neither did trying a different controller or moving
>the controllers location.  Any ideas???????

Hi Chuck,

Power and X-10 commands for the wall switches must flow through the load.  If
the load is reduced or changed to corrupt either of these, then it won't turn
on.  I had a problem similar to yours trying to use a compact fluroescent in
an outside light fixture (controlled by a X-10 wall switch).  I couldn't get
it to turn on via X-10, but if it was turned on manually, it would turn off
fine.  The wall switch works fine with a 60-watt incandescent bulb.

BTW, the compact fluroescent was one that works perfectly fine with a lamp
plug-in module.  In fact, we have had two controlled this way for almost a
year now, and they work flawlessly.

Another possibility is that you added something in the house that attenuates
the X-10 signal.  If the wall switch signal was marginal due to load or long
runs, then reducing the signal further could have caused the problem.  I just
fixed a computer power supply that was a X-10 sink.  Did you add anything
about the time the problem started?

Jeff

Post by CC Cra » Mon, 07 Apr 1997 05:00:00

>>I have two (!) Leviton X10 wall switches that failed the same day in the same
>>way - They will not respond to a ON command or ALL LIGHTS ON command. OFF and
>>ALL OFF still work as does on/off via local control.  Changing housecode and
>>unit codes did not help. Neither did trying a different controller or moving
>>the controllers location.  Any ideas???????

>Hi Chuck,

>Power and X-10 commands for the wall switches must flow through the load.  If
>the load is reduced or changed to corrupt either of these, then it won't turn
>on.  I had a problem similar to yours trying to use a compact fluroescent in
>an outside light fixture (controlled by a X-10 wall switch).  I couldn't get
>it to turn on via X-10, but if it was turned on manually, it would turn off
>fine.  The wall switch works fine with a 60-watt incandescent bulb.

This is probably not the problem as I am controlling ~150W of incandescent
lights with each.

Quote:>BTW, the compact fluroescent was one that works perfectly fine with a lamp
>plug-in module.  In fact, we have had two controlled this way for almost a
>year now, and they work flawlessly.

>Another possibility is that you added something in the house that attenuates
>the X-10 signal.  If the wall switch signal was marginal due to load or long
>runs, then reducing the signal further could have caused the problem.  I just
>fixed a computer power supply that was a X-10 sink.  Did you add anything
>about the time the problem started?

Hmmm.  Not that I know of. But tomorrow morning I'll try shutting down
everything in the house and see if the problem disappears.

Chuck

Help - Strange X10 Wall-Switch Failure

Post by Hugh Bracket » Wed, 09 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Sorry to not quote the thread, but my news host kicks out long quotes.
I had a similar problem with my system. Turned out that the switch on my
mini-remote had gotten swapped from 1-4 to 5-8. You also might give the
code wheels a spin to be sure the contact is clean.

1. Lighted X10 wall switches; wall outlets

Does anyone sell X-10 wall switches that are lit?

I'd like to replace a number of mercury switches in my mother's house
w/ X-10 switches.  I've already convinced her that X-10 is a Good
Thing, but the soft red glow of the merc switches are relied upon.

Also, do LEV's X10 wall outlets take std faceplates, or do they use
faceplates like the SR227, with the single, rectangular hole?  She has
stained wood faceplates, so the faceplates that come with the outlets
are a no-go.

Lastly, are there any wall switches out there with relays, rather than
triacs?  Can they be so modified?

Thanks!

-JimC

--
James H. Cloos, Jr.     include <std/qotd>

Finger for pgp pub key. Snail:  Box 1111, Amherst, NY 14226-1111

2. HELP WANTED Level Designers 1st Person Shooters

3. question about fitting an X10 wall switch into a dual light switch box

4. Microsoft Windows '98

5. question about Leviton 6381 X10 wall switch (is rocker switch a manual override only?)

6. Recommendation for EXTERNAL modem

7. x10 wall switch that looks like a normal light switch?

8. Question from "Ask Marilyn"

9. X10 3way, and x10 wall switch module only work at times

10. Desperately seeking an X10 wall switch which acts like a real switch

11. X10 3 switch Standard Wall Switch???

12. Help - X10 Wall Switch Not Turning Off

13. Help, All My X10 Wall Switches Died