PROBLEM: PC WITHOUT A PC CASE

Post by ta.. » Wed, 26 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I wanted to try a new motherboard so I assembled a PC without a PC
case.  I put the motherboard, the power supply, floppy and hard drive on
a table top,  the system worked but it locked up frequently.  Then I put
everything inside a PC case, the lockups seem to have disappeared.  I am
not certain what may have solved my problem, I would appreciate any
thoughts you may have on this.

Talal Itani

PROBLEM: PC WITHOUT A PC CASE

Post by Clay Cry » Sun, 30 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I wanted to try a new motherboard so I assembled a PC without a PC
> case.  I put the motherboard, the power supply, floppy and hard drive on
> a table top,  the system worked but it locked up frequently.  Then I put
> everything inside a PC case, the lockups seem to have disappeared.  I am
> not certain what may have solved my problem, I would appreciate any
> thoughts you may have on this.

> Talal Itani

You assembled a PC without a case is easily prone to Electro-static fields
that causes the machine to lock up.  That is why the CASE is used to
eliminate any electro-static fields from touching the electronic components
inside and it provides excellent grounding connections to all the
motherboards, cards, etc so that any electro-static fields just go straight
to ground.

---Clay
(to reply, remove ".nospam" from my E-Mail address above.)

PROBLEM: PC WITHOUT A PC CASE

Post by Tom & Mar » Sun, 30 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> > Hi,

> > I wanted to try a new motherboard so I assembled a PC without a PC
> > case.  I put the motherboard, the power supply, floppy and hard drive on
> > a table top,  the system worked but it locked up frequently.  Then I put
> > everything inside a PC case, the lockups seem to have disappeared.  I am
> > not certain what may have solved my problem, I would appreciate any
> > thoughts you may have on this.

> > Talal Itani

> You assembled a PC without a case is easily prone to Electro-static fields
> that causes the machine to lock up.  That is why the CASE is used to
> eliminate any electro-static fields from touching the electronic components
> inside and it provides excellent grounding connections to all the
> motherboards, cards, etc so that any electro-static fields just go straight
> to ground.

> ---Clay
> (to reply, remove ".nospam" from my E-Mail address above.)

I think you mean "Electro-Magnetic" fields!  (EM) ....
From:  Tom & Mary
Homepage URL:  http://www3.edgenet.net/lingling
(I hate spammers!  Please remove the "!" to email me!)

PROBLEM: PC WITHOUT A PC CASE

Post by Chris Loc » Wed, 03 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>> I wanted to try a new motherboard so I assembled a PC without a PC
>> case.  I put the motherboard, the power supply, floppy and hard drive on
>> a table top,  the system worked but it locked up frequently.

I ran an IBM XT for _years_ with no case .. my main concern was heat
.. the thing ran like a champ! (Today's clock speeds and chip
densities probably make this not true anymore ..)

And I don't think that it is electro-magnetic fields so much as high
energy particles that can cause occasional problems.

cl

PROBLEM: PC WITHOUT A PC CASE

Post by Jim Nels » Wed, 03 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>> Hi,

>> I wanted to try a new motherboard so I assembled a PC without a PC
>> case.  I put the motherboard, the power supply, floppy and hard drive on
>> a table top,  the system worked but it locked up frequently.  Then I put
>> everything inside a PC case, the lockups seem to have disappeared.  I am
>> not certain what may have solved my problem, I would appreciate any
>> thoughts you may have on this.

>> Talal Itani

>You assembled a PC without a case is easily prone to Electro-static fields
>that causes the machine to lock up.  That is why the CASE is used to
>eliminate any electro-static fields from touching the electronic components
>inside and it provides excellent grounding connections to all the
>motherboards, cards, etc so that any electro-static fields just go straight
>to ground.

Bigger reason: The components must be cooled, especially older hard
drives, and without the fan that normally sucks air through the case,
and hence, around the components, things will overheat or age faster.

1. PC Installation problems?: Another way to fix PC Update Project, Create PC Account, Send WG Msg

Just spent 2 days and lost some hair trying to get my new Project Central
install to allow me to 'Update project to web server'. This problem also
manifests itself in the inability to create a new Project Central account or
to send a WG message through the Project 2000 user interface.  There is a
knowledge base article that covers eight possible causes and the solutions
( http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q257/7/49.asp    kb
#q257749) , but here is a ninth cause/solution to add to the list:

When you create the virtual directory for the Project Central web files you
must check the execute permissions check box. By default when you create a
virtual directory the read and script permissions are checked but not the
execute permissions. You can check your settings by getting the properties
of the Projectcentral web in the IIS manager. If your PC web site
permissions are not set to execute, you will have this problem.

Thanks for all the great dialog on this news group. It has helped me to get
this far without giving up. Now I can give back ;-)

2. Backgammon

3. Connecting a Laptop to a pc without a pc monitor

4. JED: set FROM: line

5. Simulating Windows PC users without the PCs

6. Start Menu Programs GONE

7. PC Power & Cooling's Solid Steel Case, problems.

8. Printer Driver Developer Available

9. PC 2 PC Voice chat problem with MSN messenger

10. Voice communications PC to PC problem

11. PC-PC Voice Problem :(

12. Thanks Paul. Still problems with pc to pc

13. Paul re: my pc to pc problems