multiroom audio

multiroom audio

Post by Phil » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 00:03:48



Hi,

I'm looking for a reasonably priced multiroom audio amplifier capable of
about 5 stereo inputs and 8 stereo outputs into speakers which will be
placed around the house.

Two questions:

It seems that the amplifiers I have come across only have one single
multiroom output, and the ones that can do multiroom with selectable inputs
are very expensive. I would very much like to select a separate source for
each room. Any ideas on amps that can do this?

Also, how far can one send a signal to a speaker without considerable loss?
Having an electronics background, I can appreciate that there will be quite
a high loss when powering an 8 ohm load from anything more than 15 metres or
so but I have no practical experience in what is a good range.

Cheers,
Phil

 
 
 

multiroom audio

Post by Dave Harpe » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 01:34:57


You might want to take a look at:
http://www.hometech.com/audio/conttable.html

This is a nice table that compares the specs of seven popular units.  I have
the Channel Plus MDS-6 (aka Kustom 6640) which has 6 source inputs and 6
output zones (you can gang 3 together for a maximum of 18 zones).  Each zone
is independent and selection of the source/volume is done through a local
keypad connected to the amp via a Cat5 cable.  I'm not sure what you
consider reasonably priced; the MDS-6 can be found for under $1000 and the
keypads for about $60.

As for distance, Crutchfield has a selection chart on their web site that
indicates 16 AWG for less than 80 feet, 14 AWG for 80-200 feet and 12 AWG
for more than 200 feet.  I think mine was prewired with 14 AWG, which was
probably overkill as the longest run is on the order of 75 feet or so.  They
have a nice writeup at:
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-MYXKImioIBs/learningcenter/home/s...
_wire.html

Dave


Quote:> Hi,

> I'm looking for a reasonably priced multiroom audio amplifier capable of
> about 5 stereo inputs and 8 stereo outputs into speakers which will be
> placed around the house.

> Two questions:

> It seems that the amplifiers I have come across only have one single
> multiroom output, and the ones that can do multiroom with selectable
inputs
> are very expensive. I would very much like to select a separate source for
> each room. Any ideas on amps that can do this?

> Also, how far can one send a signal to a speaker without considerable
loss?
> Having an electronics background, I can appreciate that there will be
quite
> a high loss when powering an 8 ohm load from anything more than 15 metres
or
> so but I have no practical experience in what is a good range.

> Cheers,
> Phil


 
 
 

multiroom audio

Post by Marten Peterso » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 01:40:46


I too have two of the ChannelPlus units and am very pleased with them.

Marten


Quote:> You might want to take a look at:
> http://www.hometech.com/audio/conttable.html

> This is a nice table that compares the specs of seven popular units.  I
have
> the Channel Plus MDS-6 (aka Kustom 6640) which has 6 source inputs and 6
> output zones (you can gang 3 together for a maximum of 18 zones).  Each
zone
> is independent and selection of the source/volume is done through a local
> keypad connected to the amp via a Cat5 cable.  I'm not sure what you
> consider reasonably priced; the MDS-6 can be found for under $1000 and the
> keypads for about $60.

> As for distance, Crutchfield has a selection chart on their web site that
> indicates 16 AWG for less than 80 feet, 14 AWG for 80-200 feet and 12 AWG
> for more than 200 feet.  I think mine was prewired with 14 AWG, which was
> probably overkill as the longest run is on the order of 75 feet or so.
They
> have a nice writeup at:

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-MYXKImioIBs/learningcenter/home/s...

- Show quoted text -

> _wire.html

> Dave



> > Hi,

> > I'm looking for a reasonably priced multiroom audio amplifier capable of
> > about 5 stereo inputs and 8 stereo outputs into speakers which will be
> > placed around the house.

> > Two questions:

> > It seems that the amplifiers I have come across only have one single
> > multiroom output, and the ones that can do multiroom with selectable
> inputs
> > are very expensive. I would very much like to select a separate source
for
> > each room. Any ideas on amps that can do this?

> > Also, how far can one send a signal to a speaker without considerable
> loss?
> > Having an electronics background, I can appreciate that there will be
> quite
> > a high loss when powering an 8 ohm load from anything more than 15
metres
> or
> > so but I have no practical experience in what is a good range.

> > Cheers,
> > Phil

 
 
 

1. Suggestions for audio multiroom/zone amplifiers?

I'd very much appreciate any suggestions/warnings for audio
multiroom/zone amplifiers.  I'll have somewhere between 12-16 pairs of
stereo speakers which I'll need to drive.  First, I don't have a very
good feel for what's a reasonable amount of watts/channel for
"whole-house" speakers.  Some speakers will be outdoors, so I'd
definitely want some decent amount of power.  The majority of the
speakers will be indoors for providing decent quality piped throughout
the house.  Mind you, I'm not seeking high-fidelity, but neither do I
want grossly underpowered or a tinny sound like some retail store.
Should I go with 60 watts, 45, 30?  It's most likely that most, if not
all, these "ambient" speakers will be 8 ohm.

Secondly, the amplifiers (obviously) will require the ability to be
daisy-chained as I'm sure there isn't a 32-channel amp on the market,
*wink*.  Another requirement I have for the amps is the ability
for each pair of channels to support a common source pair as well
as a unique source pair for true multizone.  Any other characteristics
or specs of which I should be aware would also be very much appreciated.

I've found some offerings from Niles, Sonamp, Xantech, and Parasound
thus far, though I haven't yet gone through all their specs (nor
prices) to determine which models meet my requirements.  Plus, I'm sure
there are other manufacturers/brands I haven't discovered, yet.  Before
I dig deeper, I'm hoping I might get some feedback here first on the
power requirements I should seek and opinions/experiences of the
variety, "brand YYY always overheats or brand ZZZ is a good
performer and value-priced...."

thanks in advance,

2. Zip Drive and Amiga

3. Where to buy Multiroom Kit for 220V?

4. Domino R5 with Firewall

5. xbox dvd audio vs. ps2 dvd audio

6. >Re: Several points

7. Xbox's audio capabilites vs. PS2's audio capabilities.........

8. Bell Canada blocks port 25

9. Compressing audio. pb with shorten & mpeg audio

10. SGI Video/Audio Decompression and Audio Synthesis positions

11. Audio compression /Wide band Audio [ G.722 and G.728]

12. Wideband Audio and LD-CELP Audio compression

13. No Audio - I said no audio !