IR Commander IR Codes

Post by ND Lindse » Tue, 14 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Anyone have ideas on adding IR codes to the X10 IR Commander Library to
make it useful? I can't believe that they didn't include a learning
capability into the device.

Nathan

IR Commander IR Codes

Post by nojun » Wed, 15 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I too was very dissapointed there was no learning function. As it satands
now, it is useless. I think there will be a new version of software out
soon. In the mean time, I hope someone figures out how to get it to work
with MISTERHOUSE. Then it would be very powerful, but still not learning.

>Anyone have ideas on adding IR codes to the X10 IR Commander Library to
>make it useful? I can't believe that they didn't include a learning
>capability into the device.

>Nathan

IR Commander IR Codes

Post by Shay Walter » Tue, 21 Mar 2000 04:00:00

    I came in on this discussion mid-stream, so perhaps this doesn't apply
to what you're wanting to do, but just in case it does, I thought I'd
mention it.
    If you have any electronics construction ability at all, there is an
extremely simple circuit called CIR you can build.  There are several
freeware programs which use this circuit.  One, called "Monster Clicker"
allows you to build up "virtual remotes" on your desktop which can have
simple remote commands, or can even have meta-commands, where pressing one
button will generate a whole sequence of commands, even from different
devices.  Here's a link to one of the pages which will get you started, if
you're interested.

    http://www.ziplabel.com/cir/index.html

    I've made one of these and it seems to work fine.   It samples the IR
signal at a high rate (depending on speed of computer) and records it to a
disk file.  It can then play back that file to reproduce the signal.  It
takes approx. $20 in parts (I built mine for about $10 at Radio Shack).  The
whole circuit uses an IR emitter, an IR phototransistor, one transistor, and
three resistors  (I added a visible-light LED in series with the IR LED on
mine.)
    The downsides to it are:  (1) your computer has to be running to do
anything, it has no stand-alone capability.  (2) it's entirely dependant on
the speed of your computer.  If you change computers, you will have to
re-sample all the signals.  (Fixing that is on the list of "future upgrades"
for the Monster Clicker.)  (3)  it needs a dedicated parallel port on your
computer when you're using it.  Even though it's a "serial" signal you're
looking at, it's not a standard RS232-type 7- or 8-bit asynchronous serial
stream, it's more like a barcode bitstream, so there's no way to have the
serial port hardware respond to it, so it uses the parallel port and just
uses one bit for input and one bit for output.

Quote:>I too was very dissapointed there was no learning function. As it satands
>now, it is useless. I think there will be a new version of software out
>soon. In the mean time, I hope someone figures out how to get it to work
>with MISTERHOUSE. Then it would be very powerful, but still not learning.

IR Commander IR Codes

Post by Shay Walter » Tue, 21 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I had a couple of inquiries about this, so I thought I'd post a follow-up.
Here are some links for further info about this computerized IR remote
project.   One even has a GIF drawing of the circuit which lists the Radio
Shack part numbers for the components.

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Pines/7438/dishhead.html

    The above page is has the details about construction and the GIF
schematic.

http://www.accessv.com/~dpang/

     This is the home page for the "Monster Clicker" software.

Both of these contain links to other related sites.   If anyone runs across
a source of information about different devices' IR codes (coding schemes /
carrier frequency / etc.) I'd be interested in hearing about it.