Phone Jacks RJ45 to RJ11

Post by Rob » Sat, 29 Dec 2001 22:11:04

Okay, this probably sounds like a dumb question...

My new home has structured wiring with each room having two to four cat-5
runs.  They are all wired to RJ45 modular jacks, with the intent that one is
for data, and one is for phone.  How do I connect a standard phone plug
(RJ11) to these?  Do I need to replace one of the RJ45's with an RJ11 jack?
Will the RJ11 plug fit properly into an RJ45 jack?  I've seen converters
that break out an RJ45 to 4 RJ11's, but I don't want that ugly thing*
from the wall.  Most phones will not use 4 CO lines, with the exception of
my office phone (2 office lines, 1 home line, 1 fax line).

Phone Jacks RJ45 to RJ11

Post by Robert L Bas » Sun, 30 Dec 2001 00:11:41

For single line use you can swap an outlet with an RJ11 or just plug in a
standard phone cord.  Some folks say that using a standard phone cord in an RJ45
jack will eventually bend the outer pairs of wires in the jack.  I've tried it
(too lazy to swap out the jack at the time) and it worked for several years with
no ill effects.

Regards,
Robert L Bass

=============================>
Bass Home Electronics
The Online DIY Alarm Store
http://www.veryComputer.com/
4883 Fallcrest Circle
Sarasota, FL 34233
877-722-8900 Sales & Tech Support
941-925-9747 voice (Florida)
941-926-9857 fax

=============================>

: Okay, this probably sounds like a dumb question...
:
: My new home has structured wiring with each room having two to four cat-5
: runs.  They are all wired to RJ45 modular jacks, with the intent that one is
: for data, and one is for phone.  How do I connect a standard phone plug
: (RJ11) to these?  Do I need to replace one of the RJ45's with an RJ11 jack?
: Will the RJ11 plug fit properly into an RJ45 jack?  I've seen converters
: that break out an RJ45 to 4 RJ11's, but I don't want that ugly thing*
: from the wall.  Most phones will not use 4 CO lines, with the exception of
: my office phone (2 office lines, 1 home line, 1 fax line).
:
:

Phone Jacks RJ45 to RJ11

Post by Bria » Sun, 30 Dec 2001 03:31:28

Just plug the RJ-11 into the RJ-45 outlet, it will work fine.

Quote:>Okay, this probably sounds like a dumb question...

Post by A gu » Sun, 30 Dec 2001 16:25:23

>Okay, this probably sounds like a dumb question...

>My new home has structured wiring with each room having two to four cat-5
>runs.  They are all wired to RJ45 modular jacks, with the intent that one is

Out of curiousity (since other peopel have answered your question),
do the wall jacks have any other kind of outlets, e.g. coax?

Where do the cat-5's terminate?  Do you have a punchdown block and
patch panel installed also?

Did the builder make provisions for an outside connection for Internet
access to the termination location?

Did the builder do some kind of custom closet for the terminations?

Phil

Quote:>for data, and one is for phone.  How do I connect a standard phone plug
>(RJ11) to these?  Do I need to replace one of the RJ45's with an RJ11 jack?
>Will the RJ11 plug fit properly into an RJ45 jack?  I've seen converters
>that break out an RJ45 to 4 RJ11's, but I don't want that ugly thing*
>from the wall.  Most phones will not use 4 CO lines, with the exception of
>my office phone (2 office lines, 1 home line, 1 fax line).

Phone Jacks RJ45 to RJ11

Post by D » Thu, 03 Jan 2002 08:34:52

or... you can always crimp an RJ-45 end on your phone cord.  Either way.

> Just plug the RJ-11 into the RJ-45 outlet, it will work fine.

Phone Jacks RJ45 to RJ11

Post by Bria » Thu, 03 Jan 2002 08:46:26

Yeah, I've done that too, but it prevents the phone from ever being
used in a standard RJ-11 socket again...

Post by Martin Ter » Fri, 04 Jan 2002 09:09:34

> Yeah, I've done that too, but it prevents the phone from ever being
> used in a standard RJ-11 socket again...

Humm, not to be nit-picky but seems to me it would just keep the cable
from being used in a RJ-11 jack as opposed to the phone...

Phone Jacks RJ45 to RJ11

Post by Bria » Fri, 04 Jan 2002 11:25:24

You're right... for some reason I was thinking in terms of the phone
on my desk, which has a permanently attached cable, as odd as that is.