buy X10 or Radio Shack security system ?

buy X10 or Radio Shack security system ?

Post by Jerry S » Wed, 28 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I have a question I need resolved soon.

The X10 DS7000 cost $170,
the equivalent Radio Shack system cost $130 (on sale).
I bought both systems and need to return one.

which one do I buy.  According to FAQs I have read, they are
supposed to be the same, but I found out they are not !!!
The Radio Shack door window sensor use 2 AA (or AAA)
batteries, and the motion sensor uses 4 AA batteries, while
those for X10 all use 9V batteries.

which one is the better system then ?  will I need to replace
the batteries on the RS version more frequently ? (monthly ?)

I kinda like the RS door sensor because it is smaller. and
the base module color is white.

thanks
Jerry

buy X10 or Radio Shack security system ?

Post by Kevin Cro » Mon, 02 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I just bought the RS 7 piece security system and feel that it will work
as well as the X10 DS7000.
So far I have had no trouble with it.

One thing that I want to be able to do is to automatically arm and
dis-arm the system off of a timer.  Does anyone know any way of doing
this.  I bought a RS (CM11A) 2Way computer interface and software but
only sends X-10 commands,  could not find a way to send ARM and DIS-ARM
commands.

> I have a question I need resolved soon.

> The X10 DS7000 cost $170,
> the equivalent Radio Shack system cost $130 (on sale).
> I bought both systems and need to return one.

> which one do I buy.  According to FAQs I have read, they are
> supposed to be the same, but I found out they are not !!!
> The Radio Shack door window sensor use 2 AA (or AAA)
> batteries, and the motion sensor uses 4 AA batteries, while
> those for X10 all use 9V batteries.

> which one is the better system then ?  will I need to replace
> the batteries on the RS version more frequently ? (monthly ?)

> I kinda like the RS door sensor because it is smaller. and
> the base module color is white.

> thanks
> Jerry

buy X10 or Radio Shack security system ?

Post by Bob Seid » Tue, 03 Feb 1998 04:00:00

You found out, as I did, too late - there are no external contacts to
enable/disable, and it does not respond to regular X-10 commands. I
guess not responding to X-10 is good, as somebody could just plug a
controller in your outside outlet and hit ALL UNITS OFF. But you would
think external contacts on the unit would not be a risk.

Bob

--
Bob Seidel

webpage: http://www.ipass.net/~bseidel

Post by Michael M. Kn » Mon, 09 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>One thing that I want to be able to do is to automatically arm and
>dis-arm the system off of a timer.  Does anyone know any way of doing
>this.  I bought a RS (CM11A) 2Way computer interface and software but
>only sends X-10 commands,  could not find a way to send ARM and DIS-ARM
>commands.

I had one of the X-10 versions at my last house. I think the only way
to do this is to take apart one of the remotes and rig something up to
close the circuit that activates the ARM signal. You could then hook
up a Universal Module and use a regular X-10 command to activate the
Universal Module thereby arming the alarm system.

    Mike Knox - Reply to: knoxm "at" hotmail "dot" com

1. Radio Shack X10 security system

I purchased a RS X10 security system several years ago. The
model number on my base receiver unit is 61-2611R. I stopped
using the system after about 6 mos. and haven't used it
or kept up with X10 developments since. I'm now thinking about
reactivating the system and using it again.

One of the reasons I stopped using it was that the base unit
kept reporting that one of the transmitters handn't reported
in for awhile. In fact, the problem seemed to be that the
transmitter was on the periphery of the unit's range (which
wasn't very far).

I vaguely remember seing an improved unit for sale some time
ago. Does anyone know if such a unit exists and if it has an
improved range? Is it compatible with the transmitters used
with my unit? Are there any tricks I can use to improve the
range of my existing unit?
--
Mark Dempsey

2. Help -->an invalid character was found in text context

3. Radio Shack Sensors with Honeywell Security System

4. Workstation attaches to wrong tree no matter what

5. Radio Shack X-10 "wireless security system" on sale 49-2551 $129.99

6. Help please with synchronizing outlook 98 and psi 5

7. Question About Radio Shack Home Security System

8. X-10 Security system from Radio Shack

9. Radio Shack 49-485 Security System Keypad Emulation

10. Anyone interested in buying a Radio Shack Bedlam tracked vehicle for a robot base ?

11. Radio Shack Security Question