Question about macros from a remote control

Question about macros from a remote control

Post by Oz Scot » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 12:17:37

My living room is House Code M, which has a transceiver set to M and the x10
tv remote also set to code M. All works fine.

Upstairs I also have the computer interface.

If I set a macro up to M9 which will turn on and dim the M code llights,
will I be able to envoke this macro via the remote downstairs in the M zone
and have the transciever send it to the computer interface to run the macro?

I am asking because i tried and it doesnt work. selecting x10/9 then poweron
doesnt do anything.

Am I asking to much or should it work?

Post by Charles Sulliva » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 13:56:44

> My living room is House Code M, which has a transceiver set to M and the
> x10 tv remote also set to code M. All works fine.

> Upstairs I also have the computer interface.

> If I set a macro up to M9 which will turn on and dim the M code llights,
> will I be able to envoke this macro via the remote downstairs in the M
> zone and have the transciever send it to the computer interface to run
> the macro?

> I am asking because i tried and it doesnt work. selecting x10/9 then
> poweron doesnt do anything.

> Am I asking to much or should it work?

It should work, but the transceiver doesn't enter into it.  The
computer interface sends the commands directly over the power line
where they are received by the modules controlling the lights.

I assume you're running X10's Activehome program.  Verify that you can
control the individual living room lights directly from the computer
by clicking the on/off button on one of the lamp module icons.  If
that won't work, it may be that your computer interface is on a different
power line phase from the modules, or your computer may be generating
enough line noise that the signal from the interface is lost.  You can
try plugging the computer interface into a long extension cord and
plugging the extension cords into a socket in a different room or
rooms to see if that works.

Post by Charles Sulliva » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 14:15:07

>> My living room is House Code M, which has a transceiver set to M and
>> the x10 tv remote also set to code M. All works fine.

>> Upstairs I also have the computer interface.

>> If I set a macro up to M9 which will turn on and dim the M code
>> llights, will I be able to envoke this macro via the remote downstairs
>> in the M zone and have the transciever send it to the computer
>> interface to run the macro?

>> I am asking because i tried and it doesnt work. selecting x10/9 then
>> poweron doesnt do anything.

>> Am I asking to much or should it work?

> It should work, but the transceiver doesn't enter into it.  The computer
> interface sends the commands directly over the power line where they are
> received by the modules controlling the lights.

> I assume you're running X10's Activehome program.  Verify that you can
> control the individual living room lights directly from the computer by
> clicking the on/off button on one of the lamp module icons.  If that
> won't work, it may be that your computer interface is on a different
> power line phase from the modules, or your computer may be generating
> enough line noise that the signal from the interface is lost.  You can
> try plugging the computer interface into a long extension cord and
> plugging the extension cords into a socket in a different room or rooms
> to see if that works.

Let me correct the above.  The transceiver does enter into the picture
by transmitting the signal from your remote to the computer interface
via the power line.

1. Universal remote (IR/RF) and "Hampton Bay" remote controlled ceiling fan question

I'm doing a little research into home automation, and was wondering if
it would be possiblle to integrate my Hampton Bay RF remote controlled
ceiling fans (2 of them, each on a different RF set by 4 dip switches)
into a IR universal remote that sends to an IR X10 command console.
I'm pretty sure this would only work if the fan is X10 compliant
(which I am uncertain of and not sure how to test for).

However, if someone knows where I can find a good IR/RF programmable
universal remote that would either learn the RF frequencies of the fan
remotes, that would be fantastic.  I haven't been very successful
because all of the remotes I really liked (LCD) didn't support RF.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Send untraceable messages....

3. Run macros from a remote control?

4. Help - WfWG and Samba on Solaris Not doing Domain Logins

5. ir remote: decoding remotes to control a stamp2 robot

6. Limit ethernet to T1 speed

7. Remote Control vs Remote Node for C/S with Oracle?

8. utility for viewing files and rights

9. Remote Access/Remote Control

10. Computer controlled remote control.

11. Remote Control Car Robot-Radio Controlled

12. Question: Best product for remote control of a light...

13. OFA-6 direct remote control question