What type of interface is the old R.S. CoCo interface?

What type of interface is the old R.S. CoCo interface?

Post by Bill Jone » Fri, 15 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Although I've been using X-10 stuff for many years, I'm rather new to
the computer interfaces. Having just starting to use the CM11a, and also
having one of the 523's which I haven't tried yet, I've also heard about
older units, I think 290's or something.
   Anyway, the reason for this post is that I found in one of my boxes
of spare parts an old X-10 interface sold by Radio Shack, that was
supposed to connect to the old Color Computers. I picked this up
somewhere along the line with the intent of modifying it for the PC, but
never got around to it.   I was wondering if anyone knows anything about
this interface. Ie, is it a 290 or some other interface still used? Is
there any documentation with respect to the pin-outs of the din
connector? Is there any documentation with respect to how to program it
or send data through it? Anyone still use them?
TIA

--
+----------------------------------+
| Bill Jones, N3JLQ,Sweden, Maine  |

| http://www.megalink.net/~wejones |
+----------------------------------+

Post by Wayn » Sat, 16 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>   Anyway, the reason for this post is that I found in one of my boxes
>of spare parts an old X-10 interface sold by Radio Shack, that was
>supposed to connect to the old Color Computers. I picked this up
>somewhere along the line with the intent of modifying it for the PC, but
>never got around to it.   I was wondering if anyone knows anything about
>this interface. Ie, is it a 290 or some other interface still used? Is
>there any documentation with respect to the pin-outs of the din
>connector? Is there any documentation with respect to how to program it
>or send data through it? Anyone still use them?

That would probably be a CP-290 interface.  It was sold with many
different cables, ie for CoCo, Commodore 64, Atari?, etc.  The CP-290
has a simple RS-232 port, only the cable and host software changed
depending upon your host computer.
I am pretty sure the CP-290 is discontinued, but there are still a lot
of them around.  It was a transmit only device, so not nearly as
powerful as the new interfaces.  If you can find a cable and software
quickly, easily and cheaply, it might be worth playing with.
Otherwise, spend $50 and get the ActiveHome kit, which comes complete
with interface, cable and software.  There is also third party
software for this device, if you don't like the ActiveHome software.

What type of interface is the old R.S. CoCo interface?

Post by Corey Johnso » Sat, 16 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Not sure since its been years since I used one..(use to run a BBS off of a
COCO3)
I believe thought that it was a 4-pin DIN connector that was basically a
serial port.
I'll try to see if I have any info packed up about it.

  Anyway, the reason for this post is that I found in one of my boxes

> of spare parts an old X-10 interface sold by Radio Shack, that was
> supposed to connect to the old Color Computers. I picked this up
> somewhere along the line with the intent of modifying it for the PC, but
> never got around to it.   I was wondering if anyone knows anything about
> this interface. Ie, is it a 290 or some other interface still used? Is
> there any documentation with respect to the pin-outs of the din
> connector? Is there any documentation with respect to how to program it
> or send data through it? Anyone still use them?
> TIA

> --
> +----------------------------------+
> | Bill Jones, N3JLQ,Sweden, Maine  |

> | http://www.megalink.net/~wejones |
> +----------------------------------+

What type of interface is the old R.S. CoCo interface?

Post by Bob Mun » Sun, 17 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>of spare parts an old X-10 interface sold by Radio Shack, that was
>supposed to connect to the old Color Computers. ....   I was wondering
>if anyone knows anything about this interface.

I used one of those for years, had several thousand lines of CoCo
Basic code that controlled it.  The device is extremely simple,
nothing but a zero-crossing detector and an oscillator.  The
former pulses the CoCo input line 120 times a second (on
zero-crossing of the 60Hz powerline signal) and the latter puts
120KHz on the powerline when the CoCo output is set high.

Software in the CoCo has to do everything else: format zeros
and ones (as I recall each bit requires that the oscillator be
triggered six times or so), formulate the sync, house code,
and key code bitstream.  I had to reverse-engineer the trivial
control program that came with the device, then write a
device driver in machine code.

In case you haven't already come to this conclusion, it's not
worth it.  Buy something current. On the other hand, I still have
a couple of CoCos, at least one unused and in the original box.
For sale cheep!

Bob Munck
Haymarket, VA

Post by brian_aberna.. » Thu, 21 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> Although I've been using X-10 stuff for many years, I'm rather new to
> the computer interfaces. Having just starting to use the CM11a, and also
> having one of the 523's which I haven't tried yet, I've also heard about
> older units, I think 290's or something.
>    Anyway, the reason for this post is that I found in one of my boxes
> of spare parts an old X-10 interface sold by Radio Shack, that was
> supposed to connect to the old Color Computers. I picked this up
> somewhere along the line with the intent of modifying it for the PC, but
> never got around to it.   I was wondering if anyone knows anything about
> this interface. Ie, is it a 290 or some other interface still used? Is
> there any documentation with respect to the pin-outs of the din
> connector? Is there any documentation with respect to how to program it
> or send data through it? Anyone still use them?
> TIA

Actually, there were two different versions of this interface that Radio
Shack
sold.  One has already been described, the other is a modified version of
the CP-290.  Instead of a serial interface, it used a Pulse Coded Modulation

(PCM) technique to communicate with the CoCo.  I have one and also
bought the technical manual from Radio Shack, thinking I might be able to
modify it.  When I bough a real CP290 at a hamfest for $15, I dropped the
idea.

Brian A

1. Interface TW-523 to RS-232 or RS-485

Does anyone have experience with the TW-523 two way serial interface
module for X10?

I want to hook it up either to my pc rs-232 port, or I have a Z-World
microcontroller with an rs-485.

It looks like I need some extra circuitry to complete the interface.  Is
there anything out there already made that is cheap?  I did see a
reasonable kit at www.weedtech.com.

It also looks like I'll need to write a port driver because the data
must be sent on the 60 HZ zero crossing.

Does anybody have experience with this that can offer suggestions, etc.?

Thanks,
Mike

2. Com for UNIX (???)

3. Need RS-485 interface for an AIX RS/6000

4. ***FS: Sun Sparc 1/2/IPC***

5. Anyone seend RS-232 interface temp sensor?

6. Win2K on a home network

7. INFO WANTED: RS-232 interfaces

8. Where can I find a dtmf/pulse/cid unit in one?

9. Anyone know of an inexpensive humidty sensor with RS-232 Interface

10. RS-232 pinout to RJ-11 on X10 Powerline 513 data interface

11. RS-232 to RJ-11 pinout for Powerline 513 X10 interface

12. New at this, looking for computer interface board or RS-232 box for X-10

13. Computer/RS-232/ IR control interface