What Cat 5 wires to connect for phone jack

What Cat 5 wires to connect for phone jack

Post by David A. Dieh » Thu, 27 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I have run two Cat. 5 cables to each location.  One
is for data, the other is for phone.

Of the 8 wires in the Cat. 5 cable, which ones would
you recommend I connect to the phone jack?

Thank you in advance,
Dave

What Cat 5 wires to connect for phone jack

Post by MAVeric » Fri, 28 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Just the middle two are required for regular phone jack,
the next outer two used by common PBX type systems.
That is referring to the socket itself... it matters not which
colours you use, although the standard would be Blue&White/Blue

>I have run two Cat. 5 cables to each location.  One
>is for data, the other is for phone.

>Of the 8 wires in the Cat. 5 cable, which ones would
>you recommend I connect to the phone jack?

>Thank you in advance,
>Dave

What Cat 5 wires to connect for phone jack

Post by Byro » Wed, 16 Sep 1998 04:00:00

If you connect two middle pairs, you can support two line phones
with an RJ-11.

On Thu, 27 Aug 1998 00:46:46 +1000, the brilliant "MAVerick"

>Just the middle two are required for regular phone jack,
>the next outer two used by common PBX type systems.
>That is referring to the socket itself... it matters not which
>colours you use, although the standard would be Blue&White/Blue

>>I have run two Cat. 5 cables to each location.  One
>>is for data, the other is for phone.

>>Of the 8 wires in the Cat. 5 cable, which ones would
>>you recommend I connect to the phone jack?

>>Thank you in advance,
>>Dave

What Cat 5 wires to connect for phone jack

Post by John Murph » Wed, 16 Sep 1998 04:00:00

See: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/LANs/cabling-faq/index.html  Section 9
lists standard USOC configuration which is used for telephone.

In the USA, the commonly used  RJ11 plug has 6 positions with 4
conductors (uses pairs 1 and 2) .  A less used plug (RJ25?) is
physically the same size as a RJ11 but has 6 positions and 6 conductors
(used pairs 1, 2, and 3).  I'd suggest using wiring for RJ25 (uses 3
pairs) or RJ45 (uses 4 pairs).  If you need to save money use CAT-3
modular connectors instead of CAT-5 modular connectors for the
telephone.

In my case, I'm going to use RJ25 modules and use the 4th pair for power
to the phones.. [The electrician (Weinberg Electrical Contractors -
Linden NJ) decided to install ac outlets in locations different from the
wiring plan submitted to the builder and then refused to correct his
error saying the work meets code.]

John Murphy