RG6 & LAN side by side?

Post by Kev » Wed, 12 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I've seen a house with TV cable service in every room.  The owner ran 2 RG6
cables to each room.

I was wondering how well I could use 1 line for Cable TV and 1 line for
10BaseT (or higher) LAN.

It appears that the cables are home run to 1 room.

Thanks,

Kev

RG6 & LAN side by side?

Post by Ken Mitchel » Wed, 12 Jan 2000 04:00:00

For 10baseT the "T"refers to "twisted pair" physical media. What you are trying

to do is 10base2.  You can't do this with RG-6. The line impedance is 75ohm
vs. 50ohm for RG-58 used for LAN.

You could use the spare RG-6 to pull Cat5 cables, but IMHO that would be
a waste of a good RG-6 cable. This is why you will see alot of recommendations
in this NG to pull 2xCat5 and 2xCoax whem wiring a house.

Ken

> I've seen a house with TV cable service in every room.  The owner ran 2 RG6
> cables to each room.

> I was wondering how well I could use 1 line for Cable TV and 1 line for
> 10BaseT (or higher) LAN.

> It appears that the cables are home run to 1 room.

> Thanks,

> Kev

RG6 & LAN side by side?

Post by MC » Wed, 12 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Ok I keep seeing recomendations to put 2xRG-6, 2xRG-8, and 2xCat5 to each room.
Why 2 of each, and what is each for? One cat5 would of course be for in-house
LAN 10/100-baseT and one rg-6 for TV, but whats the rest for? Expansion?

MC

> For 10baseT the "T"refers to "twisted pair" physical media. What you are trying

> to do is 10base2.  You can't do this with RG-6. The line impedance is 75ohm
> vs. 50ohm for RG-58 used for LAN.

> You could use the spare RG-6 to pull Cat5 cables, but IMHO that would be
> a waste of a good RG-6 cable. This is why you will see alot of recommendations
> in this NG to pull 2xCat5 and 2xCoax whem wiring a house.

> Ken

> > I've seen a house with TV cable service in every room.  The owner ran 2 RG6
> > cables to each room.

> > I was wondering how well I could use 1 line for Cable TV and 1 line for
> > 10BaseT (or higher) LAN.

> > It appears that the cables are home run to 1 room.

> > Thanks,

> > Kev

The new Decade/Century/Millennium doesnt start until the year 2001 !!
Lets make the year 2000, the last year of the Millennium, a good one!
--------------------------------------------+------------------------

   --==[ Detroit to the SuperBowl ]==--     |    Question Reality

     Time is nature's way of keeping        |  If at first you dont
     everything from happening at once      |  succeed...   REBOOT!

--------------------------------------------+------------------------

RG6 & LAN side by side?

Post by Clau » Wed, 12 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>Ok I keep seeing recomendations to put 2xRG-6, 2xRG-8, and 2xCat5 to each
room.
>Why 2 of each, and what is each for? One cat5 would of course be for
in-house
>LAN 10/100-baseT and one rg-6 for TV, but whats the rest for? Expansion?

Two runs of each wire are to insure that when you want to move your AV
center or computer to the other side of the room that you have somewhere to
plug it into.

Claus V.

RG6 & LAN side by side?

Post by Brian Kar » Wed, 12 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>>Ok I keep seeing recomendations to put 2xRG-6, 2xRG-8, and 2xCat5 to each
>room.
>>Why 2 of each, and what is each for? One cat5 would of course be for
>in-house
>>LAN 10/100-baseT and one rg-6 for TV, but whats the rest for? Expansion?

>Two runs of each wire are to insure that when you want to move your AV
>center or computer to the other side of the room that you have somewhere to
>plug it into.

You're thinking of 2 outlets, he was asking why runs two identical
wires to _each_ outlet.

The reason for running 2xCat5 and 2xRG6 (I dunno who uses RG-8) to
each outlet is to allow for expansion, and to accommodate things that
don't play nice together on the same cable.  Your LAN cables should
not be shared with ANYTHING, for example.  Multiple RG-6's can be used
to feed CATV and DSS and separate feeds, or use one cable to feed the
incoming signal, and one cable to feed an outgoing signal to a
modulator or distribution amp.
00!=New Millenium
Remove the fish to send e-mail

RG6 & LAN side by side?

Post by Ken Mitchel » Wed, 12 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I used the 2nd RG-6 for upstream video from a modulator attached to a video
camera in the baby's room.

I used one Cat5 for ethernet and the other Cat5 for telephone.

You may want to consider more cat5 if you want to do something like
IR distribution, RS-485 control, multiple PCs in one room, etc.

What's an RG-8?

Ken

> Ok I keep seeing recomendations to put 2xRG-6, 2xRG-8, and 2xCat5 to each room.
> Why 2 of each, and what is each for? One cat5 would of course be for in-house
> LAN 10/100-baseT and one rg-6 for TV, but whats the rest for? Expansion?

> MC

> > For 10baseT the "T"refers to "twisted pair" physical media. What you are trying

> > to do is 10base2.  You can't do this with RG-6. The line impedance is 75ohm
> > vs. 50ohm for RG-58 used for LAN.

> > You could use the spare RG-6 to pull Cat5 cables, but IMHO that would be
> > a waste of a good RG-6 cable. This is why you will see alot of recommendations
> > in this NG to pull 2xCat5 and 2xCoax whem wiring a house.

> > Ken

> > > I've seen a house with TV cable service in every room.  The owner ran 2 RG6
> > > cables to each room.

> > > I was wondering how well I could use 1 line for Cable TV and 1 line for
> > > 10BaseT (or higher) LAN.

> > > It appears that the cables are home run to 1 room.

> > > Thanks,

> > > Kev

> --
> The new Decade/Century/Millennium doesnt start until the year 2001 !!
> Lets make the year 2000, the last year of the Millennium, a good one!
> --------------------------------------------+------------------------
>    --==[ Detroit to the SuperBowl ]==--     |    Question Reality
>      Time is nature's way of keeping        |  If at first you dont
>      everything from happening at once      |  succeed...   REBOOT!
> --------------------------------------------+------------------------

RG6 & LAN side by side?

Post by MC » Wed, 12 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Ok, both answers make sense.

As for the rg-8, well i have several hundred feet of it, multiple runs, between
my bedroom/lab and the roof. (amateur radio) Also could be used for coax
networks. But coax networks are falling out of pace and i dunno why have amateur
radio piped to every room. =)

MC

> >>Ok I keep seeing recomendations to put 2xRG-6, 2xRG-8, and 2xCat5 to each
> >room.
> >>Why 2 of each, and what is each for? One cat5 would of course be for
> >in-house
> >>LAN 10/100-baseT and one rg-6 for TV, but whats the rest for? Expansion?

> >Two runs of each wire are to insure that when you want to move your AV
> >center or computer to the other side of the room that you have somewhere to
> >plug it into.

> You're thinking of 2 outlets, he was asking why runs two identical
> wires to _each_ outlet.

> The reason for running 2xCat5 and 2xRG6 (I dunno who uses RG-8) to
> each outlet is to allow for expansion, and to accommodate things that
> don't play nice together on the same cable.  Your LAN cables should
> not be shared with ANYTHING, for example.  Multiple RG-6's can be used
> to feed CATV and DSS and separate feeds, or use one cable to feed the
> incoming signal, and one cable to feed an outgoing signal to a
> modulator or distribution amp.
> --
> 00!=New Millenium
> Remove the fish to send e-mail

The new Decade/Century/Millennium doesnt start until the year 2001 !!
Lets make the year 2000, the last year of the Millennium, a good one!
--------------------------------------------+------------------------

   --==[ Detroit to the SuperBowl ]==--     |    Question Reality

     Time is nature's way of keeping        |  If at first you dont
     everything from happening at once      |  succeed...   REBOOT!

--------------------------------------------+------------------------

RG6 & LAN side by side?

Post by Ken Mitchel » Wed, 12 Jan 2000 04:00:00

amateur radio piped to every room?  Maybe because amateur radio folks are
as geeky as computer folks.  It took my wife awhile to understand why I was
wiring network drops to every room in the house.

Ken

> Ok, both answers make sense.

> As for the rg-8, well i have several hundred feet of it, multiple runs, between
> my bedroom/lab and the roof. (amateur radio) Also could be used for coax
> networks. But coax networks are falling out of pace and i dunno why have amateur
> radio piped to every room. =)

> MC

> > >room.
> > >in-house

> > >Two runs of each wire are to insure that when you want to move your AV
> > >center or computer to the other side of the room that you have somewhere to
> > >plug it into.

> > You're thinking of 2 outlets, he was asking why runs two identical
> > wires to _each_ outlet.

> > The reason for running 2xCat5 and 2xRG6 (I dunno who uses RG-8) to
> > each outlet is to allow for expansion, and to accommodate things that
> > don't play nice together on the same cable.  Your LAN cables should
> > not be shared with ANYTHING, for example.  Multiple RG-6's can be used
> > to feed CATV and DSS and separate feeds, or use one cable to feed the
> > incoming signal, and one cable to feed an outgoing signal to a
> > modulator or distribution amp.
> > --
> > 00!=New Millenium
> > Remove the fish to send e-mail

> --
> The new Decade/Century/Millennium doesnt start until the year 2001 !!
> Lets make the year 2000, the last year of the Millennium, a good one!
> --------------------------------------------+------------------------
>    --==[ Detroit to the SuperBowl ]==--     |    Question Reality
>      Time is nature's way of keeping        |  If at first you dont
>      everything from happening at once      |  succeed...   REBOOT!
> --------------------------------------------+------------------------

RG6 & LAN side by side?

Post by Clau » Wed, 12 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>You're thinking of 2 outlets

Has ADI got a new psychic add-on module you're testing?

What am I thinking now?  <g>

Claus V. (who just can't resist such a good setup line)

RG6 & LAN side by side?

Post by Brian Kar » Wed, 12 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>>You're thinking of 2 outlets

>Has ADI got a new psychic add-on module you're testing?

:)  All I can say is that if _you_ were a beta-tester, you would already know the answer :)

Quote:>What am I thinking now?  <g>

I'd say, but I don't think that it's fit to print :)
00!=New Millenium
Remove the fish to send e-mail

RG6 & LAN side by side?

Post by ND Lindse » Wed, 12 Jan 2000 04:00:00

While I plan to upgrade someday I also use an RG 58 coax network on my
PCs at home. For my humble needs it works OK. It also made a great
excuse to buy a little TDR. :>)

Of course I'll be replacing it with several miles of Cat 5 and RG6 video
cable as soon as conditions permit. <G>

Nathan

> Ok, both answers make sense.

> As for the rg-8, well i have several hundred feet of it, multiple runs, between
> my bedroom/lab and the roof. (amateur radio) Also could be used for coax
> networks. But coax networks are falling out of pace and i dunno why have amateur
> radio piped to every room. =)

> MC

> > >room.
> > >in-house

> > >Two runs of each wire are to insure that when you want to move your AV
> > >center or computer to the other side of the room that you have somewhere to
> > >plug it into.

> > You're thinking of 2 outlets, he was asking why runs two identical
> > wires to _each_ outlet.

> > The reason for running 2xCat5 and 2xRG6 (I dunno who uses RG-8) to
> > each outlet is to allow for expansion, and to accommodate things that
> > don't play nice together on the same cable.  Your LAN cables should
> > not be shared with ANYTHING, for example.  Multiple RG-6's can be used
> > to feed CATV and DSS and separate feeds, or use one cable to feed the
> > incoming signal, and one cable to feed an outgoing signal to a
> > modulator or distribution amp.
> > --
> > 00!=New Millenium
> > Remove the fish to send e-mail

> --
> The new Decade/Century/Millennium doesnt start until the year 2001 !!
> Lets make the year 2000, the last year of the Millennium, a good one!
> --------------------------------------------+------------------------
>    --==[ Detroit to the SuperBowl ]==--     |    Question Reality
>      Time is nature's way of keeping        |  If at first you dont
>      everything from happening at once      |  succeed...   REBOOT!
> --------------------------------------------+------------------------

RG6 & LAN side by side?

Post by ND Lindse » Wed, 12 Jan 2000 04:00:00

SNIP

Quote:

> What's an RG-8?

RG-58 on steroids. 50 ohm coax about the diameter of your thumb.

Nathan

RG6 & LAN side by side?

Post by Kev » Wed, 12 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> For 10baseT the "T"refers to "twisted pair" physical media. What you are
trying

> to do is 10base2.  You can't do this with RG-6. The line impedance is
75ohm
> vs. 50ohm for RG-58 used for LAN.

What about impedence matching transformers?

Quote:

> You could use the spare RG-6 to pull Cat5 cables, but IMHO that would be
> a waste of a good RG-6 cable. This is why you will see alot of
recommendations
> in this NG to pull 2xCat5 and 2xCoax whem wiring a house.

That would be a feat since this RG-6 is actually 2 cables side by side.

I'm happy that the house is wired for cable & am looking for a quick & easy
way to use the pre existing wiring for a fast LAN also rather than
struggling to rewire it already.

Thanks,
Kev

RG6 & LAN side by side?

Post by MC » Wed, 12 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> SNIP

> > What's an RG-8?

> RG-58 on steroids. 50 ohm coax about the diameter of your thumb.

> Nathan

My THUMB???? Hardly, my PINKY yes, or if you get the Really good RG-8 perhaps a
bit bigger, but NOT as big as my thumb. ACK, something THAT big I would NOT want
to drag up on my roof to my antennas. (I do feel sorry for people that string up
hardline on radio towers).

The new Decade/Century/Millennium doesnt start until the year 2001 !!
Lets make the year 2000, the last year of the Millennium, a good one!
--------------------------------------------+------------------------

RG6 & LAN side by side?

Post by ND Lindse » Wed, 12 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Perhaps you have large thumbs?

I've pulled cable up many a tower and it was never as small as RG-8.

Typically we used a wench or a ground vehicle to provide lifting assist.
More commonly used on towers, Heliax beginning at about an inch or
larger in diameter is an open core coaxial cable that minimizes RF loss
and allows pressurization with nitrogen to avoid moisture and
condensation. Most owners didn't want to see the expense of having to
replace cable on towers a second time.

Nathan