"True Rocker Action" non-PLC switch -- is there such a beast?

"True Rocker Action" non-PLC switch -- is there such a beast?

Post by T » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 07:02:28

Hi all,

My first post to this NG. I'm pretty new to this whole home automation
stuff and am finding my way around.

Currently my home has all toggle switches and since I'd like to start
automating some parts of the house, I'll be switching to decora
switches since they seem to be the most common ones for PLC.

Regarding decora switches, I know that "true rocker action" means that
if I want to switch on a light, I tap on the top part, and after
"clicking", the switch will "go back to the middle", ala Leviton,
SwitchLinc, Lightolier.

BUT... I don't want to change ALL my switches to PLC ones since that's
way too expensive. So does anyone know of any resonable priced non-PLC
(non-X10) switches that has this same "true rocker action" of the X10
ones?

Thanks all!

TL

"True Rocker Action" non-PLC switch -- is there such a beast?

Post by OurFamil » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 13:09:55

Hi TL.
If I understand you correctly, you are looking for a momentary contact swith
to just give you an input while being press then goes off when released.
Believe it or not, the search is not the easy.  Thinking that this would be
a very common item, I spent some time looking for the exact same thing.
Never did find a inexpensive solution.  Leviton has a rocker with momentary
contacts up and down but they sell for over $15.  Adds up when you need 75
of the them.  There is a company at touchplate.com however there switches
are not standard size so you cannot use them in a three gang box.  not cheap
either.

I am still working on my solution. But I have bought all levition decora
style swithes.   They are assembled using two screws.  (easy to disassemble)
The plan is to change the mechanic inside so that they will activate back to
the off position.  This is possible several ways. (spring, etc)  Just
haven't had the chance to try anything definite.  Even if you bend the metal
detent piece, it springs back most of the time.

If you do find one, please let me know.  I will let you know how I make out
also.

Quote:> Hi all,

> My first post to this NG. I'm pretty new to this whole home automation
> stuff and am finding my way around.

> Currently my home has all toggle switches and since I'd like to start
> automating some parts of the house, I'll be switching to decora
> switches since they seem to be the most common ones for PLC.

> Regarding decora switches, I know that "true rocker action" means that
> if I want to switch on a light, I tap on the top part, and after
> "clicking", the switch will "go back to the middle", ala Leviton,
> SwitchLinc, Lightolier.

> BUT... I don't want to change ALL my switches to PLC ones since that's
> way too expensive. So does anyone know of any resonable priced non-PLC
> (non-X10) switches that has this same "true rocker action" of the X10
> ones?

> Thanks all!

> TL

"True Rocker Action" non-PLC switch -- is there such a beast?

Post by T » Sat, 22 Feb 2003 02:31:14

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions. Which model of Leviton are you talking
about that has that "spring back to middle" feature? I didn't see
anything with that operation at Home Depot or Lowes. Of course,
they're not the best place to look for such stuff, but...

Anyway, I came across the "Lightolier OnSet - Non-Communicating,
Compose Look and Feel" switches on Worthington Distribution
(www.worthdist.com), but they're even pricer than your Levitons. Looks
like the "2-wire incandescent decora dimmer, 600W (no neutral
required)" is $22.42. Then there's the "decora switch, 1000w,
non-dimming" at $29.98. Maybe they have a 600w non-dimming version
that's more affordable. Probably have to call them. Apparently
Lightoliers have very good tactile feel.

Fortunately, I only have half as many switches in my house as you do
:-)! Well, if you find anything else, please let me know too!

Thanks!

"True Rocker Action" non-PLC switch -- is there such a beast?

Post by OurFamil » Sat, 22 Feb 2003 03:42:20

The levition number is 5657-2   Single pole, double throw.  Center off.  The
specs can be found at
http://www.leviton.com/pdfs/decora/Decora%20Section%20A%20-%20Switche...
Most likely you will need to order from your local dealer.   I thought about
using both inputs Up-On Down-Off but it would have doubled my inputs. Hold
in for dimming apps.
I thought it would be easy to find just a decora style pushbutton momentary.
That would be the cleanest installation for me.  I couldn't believe that
this is not a standard piece of equipement.

Hope this helps, keep me posted.

Quote:> Hi,

> Thanks for your suggestions. Which model of Leviton are you talking
> about that has that "spring back to middle" feature? I didn't see
> anything with that operation at Home Depot or Lowes. Of course,
> they're not the best place to look for such stuff, but...

> Anyway, I came across the "Lightolier OnSet - Non-Communicating,
> Compose Look and Feel" switches on Worthington Distribution
> (www.worthdist.com), but they're even pricer than your Levitons. Looks
> like the "2-wire incandescent decora dimmer, 600W (no neutral
> required)" is $22.42. Then there's the "decora switch, 1000w,
> non-dimming" at $29.98. Maybe they have a 600w non-dimming version
> that's more affordable. Probably have to call them. Apparently
> Lightoliers have very good tactile feel.

> Fortunately, I only have half as many switches in my house as you do
> :-)! Well, if you find anything else, please let me know too!

> Thanks!

1. What X-10 switches provide true "rocker" action?

Actually, I'm looking to see what X-10 compatible switches meet these
criteria:

1) Match Decora style rocker switches in appearence.
2) Press the top to turn on, the bottom to turn off.
3) Press and hold the top to brighten, the bottom to dim.
4) Respond to X-10 status command requests.
5) Have "soft start" feature to ramp up to full bright rather than coming on
immediately at full bright (preferably configurable in speed).
6) Support preset dim X-10 command(s) to immediately set the light to some
specified or programmed dim level.
7) (Optional) Have "nightlight" on switch to make it easier to locate in
dark.

As far as I can tell, only the PCS Scenemaster switches meet these criteria.
Are there any other brands, hopefully less expensive?  I noticed SmartLinc
is advertising a "SwitchLinc" switch that would seem to also meet these
criteria on their web page http://www.smartlinc.com/1133p.html but no price
indication, and it hasn't appeared in any mail order inventory yet.  They
claim "Switches fit for a Castle, ... on Less than a Kings Budget" so I
called to ask what their SRP is, and they said $154!!  I hope that's a
mis-read; if not, I'm not sure what they mean by King's budget (Bill Gates
maybe?).

2. Potential New PDF User

3. PCS switches - "True rocker"?

4. size of products installed

6. Diskeeper 5.0 on SBS 4.5?

7. K7s5a """"ich krieg die KRIESE"""""

8. Help with SMC ISA NIC in DEC Venturis PC

9. FS98 "Level" flight equals "true" heading...

10. New keymaps: "uk" and "latin-am"

11. switch: "tektronix mode" <-> "vt100 mode" ?

12. I-Am I-AM "The Reverend Robert L. Bass "

13. "If I Can't Love Her" - Beauty and the Beast