Question about coupling phases for X-10

Post by Mark Jacob » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 08:19:36

All the web pages I've found and news articles I've read about couplers all
deal with coupling the phases in a single breaker panel.  My problem is that
coming off my meter I have 2 200Amp panels that feed my house.  Is this a
problem?  How can I couple the phases in each panel together and then couple
the two panels together?   If I couple them in just one panel and then let
the signal cross over to the other panel at the meter how do I prevent the
signal from traveling up the line to my neighbor?

Mark

Question about coupling phases for X-10

Post by Bruce » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 09:09:53

You only need to couple at one panel. However, if your house is large
enough to require two panels I'd strongly recommend that you use a
repeater/coupler rather than just a coupler. I'd recommend the products
from ACT (www.act-solutions.com) for best results.
 Unless you have reason to believe that your neighbors are using X10 as
well, I wouldn't worry about leakage back to them. If you do need a
blocker, connect it to the main disconnect next to the meter.

Quote:> All the web pages I've found and news articles I've read about
couplers all
> deal with coupling the phases in a single breaker panel.  My problem
is that
> coming off my meter I have 2 200Amp panels that feed my house.  Is
this a
> problem?  How can I couple the phases in each panel together and then
couple
> the two panels together?   If I couple them in just one panel and then
let
> the signal cross over to the other panel at the meter how do I prevent
the
> signal from traveling up the line to my neighbor?

> Mark

Question about coupling phases for X-10

Post by Mark or Su » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 09:48:23

Quote:> You only need to couple at one panel. However, if your house is large
> enough to require two panels I'd strongly recommend that you use a
> repeater/coupler rather than just a coupler. I'd recommend the products
> from ACT (www.act-solutions.com) for best results.
>  Unless you have reason to believe that your neighbors are using X10 as
> well, I wouldn't worry about leakage back to them. If you do need a
> blocker, connect it to the main disconnect next to the meter.

Usually, a 400A service does not have a single disconnect -- you're allowed
up to six. I'm putting in a 400A service now, and blocking is impossible
unless you have a meter/breaker combination panel or a single 400A main
panel. These are expensive and rarely seen.
I have a subpanel off of one of the main panels, and all the X-10
transmitters connect to it. I don't have a coupler, as the pole transformer
110 feet away seems to work fine. Perhaps the 240V pool timer, another 100'
off the subpanel, is another coupler....

No one uses my transformer but me.

--
Mark
Kent, WA

Question about coupling phases for X-10

Post by Bruce » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 12:27:42

My meter box (Siemans) has the meter on one side and a 4PDT main
disconnect on the other that serves two 200 amp panels. If I needed to
add a blocker, that's where I'd do it.

> > You only need to couple at one panel. However, if your house is
large
> > enough to require two panels I'd strongly recommend that you use a
> > repeater/coupler rather than just a coupler. I'd recommend the
products
> > from ACT (www.act-solutions.com) for best results.
> >  Unless you have reason to believe that your neighbors are using X10
as
> > well, I wouldn't worry about leakage back to them. If you do need a
> > blocker, connect it to the main disconnect next to the meter.

> Usually, a 400A service does not have a single disconnect -- you're
allowed
> up to six. I'm putting in a 400A service now, and blocking is
impossible
> unless you have a meter/breaker combination panel or a single 400A
main
> panel. These are expensive and rarely seen.
> I have a subpanel off of one of the main panels, and all the X-10
> transmitters connect to it. I don't have a coupler, as the pole
transformer
> 110 feet away seems to work fine. Perhaps the 240V pool timer, another
100'
> off the subpanel, is another coupler....

> No one uses my transformer but me.

> --
> Mark
> Kent, WA

Question about coupling phases for X-10

Post by Mark Jacob » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 22:00:16

Coming off my transformer is a 200amp service that feeds my shop & barn, and
a 400amp service that feeds the house (2 200amp panels as mentioned below).
So if I use a coupler/repeater on one of the panels in the house I should be
ok and will get X10 across both house panels.  The only leakage would be
back to my shop (as I understand it the transformer will prevent leakage
back to the neighbor) and I can easily take care of that by moving the dust
collection systems and air filters to a different house code.

Mark