X10 Wall switch installation question.

Post by Ric » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 10:38:11

I recently bought some X10 wall switches,
(http://www.veryComputer.com/) and have a question
about the installation.

My old switches have two wires, and also a ground wire which is
screwed to the side of the existing switch.   The new X10 switches do
not have a place to*the ground wire onto the switch... so the
question is: what to do with the ground wire?

I could just put a wire nut on it, or I could connect it to the
electrical box (but it is plastic, so that does not make sense).

In the case where I have two or three switches in a single box, should
I tie all those ground wires together with a wire nut, or should I
just put a wire nut on the end of each one, and tuck it back into the
back of the box?

Thanks in advance, rich

X10 Wall switch installation question.

Post by CATISME0 » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 11:23:24

Quote:>My old switches have two wires, and also a ground wire which is
>screwed to the side of the existing switch.   The new X10 switches do
>not have a place to*the ground wire onto the switch... so the
>question is: what to do with the ground wire?

>I could just put a wire nut on it, or I could connect it to the
>electrical box (but it is plastic, so that does not make sense).

>In the case where I have two or three switches in a single box, should
>I tie all those ground wires together with a wire nut, or should I
>just put a wire nut on the end of each one, and tuck it back into the
>back of the box?

>Thanks in advance, rich

Hi Rich,
     If the box for the switch is metal, connect the ground wire to the box
with a grounding clip. If the box is plastic, just tuck the wire into the back
of the box and forget it.
     The hot wire going to the switch should be white, the load wire to the
light fixture from the switch will be the black wire.
     The instruction sheet for the switch will say which wire on the switch
connecys to the hot wire in the box.
Regards,
Ted

Post by Stu Alde » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 18:44:01

Quote:> >My old switches have two wires, and also a ground wire which
is
> >screwed to the side of the existing switch.   The new X10
switches do
> >not have a place to*the ground wire onto the switch...
so the
> >question is: what to do with the ground wire?

> >I could just put a wire nut on it, or I could connect it to
the
> >electrical box (but it is plastic, so that does not make
sense).

> >In the case where I have two or three switches in a single
box, should
> >I tie all those ground wires together with a wire nut, or
should I
> >just put a wire nut on the end of each one, and tuck it back
into the
> >back of the box?

> >Thanks in advance, rich

> Hi Rich,
>      If the box for the switch is metal, connect the ground
wire to the box
> with a grounding clip. If the box is plastic, just tuck the
wire into the back
> of the box and forget it.
>      The hot wire going to the switch should be white, the load
wire to the
> light fixture from the switch will be the black wire.
>      The instruction sheet for the switch will say which wire
on the switch
> connecys to the hot wire in the box.
> Regards,
> Ted

If there are multiple ground wires in the box, tie them all
together with a wire nut to ensure that a ground is available
over at the light fixtures.

There is no guarantee that the insulation colors will be as
described above (and hot to switch is usually black anyway, not
white), but those X-10 switches have no polarity - just hook them
up the same way as the switches they're replacing and you'll be
fine.

Be sure that you're switching just permanent light fixtures and
not receptacles - dimmers can wreak havoc on motors, electronic
equipment, etc.

1. question about fitting an X10 wall switch into a dual light switch box

I have a room in my house that has a dual light switch setup behind a
one-piece wall plate. So it seems impossible to mount an X10 light
switch inside this switch box. The X10 switch and X10 plate fits fine
mounted in one side of the switch box, but no one seems to make a
nice-fitting cover for the remaining space on the other side that also
houses the remaining manual switch.
Is there any solutions to this?

2. Terminal Services licensing server problem

3. question about Leviton 6381 X10 wall switch (is rocker switch a manual override only?)

4. Hi-val audio writing problem

5. Lighted X10 wall switches; wall outlets

6. dual boot 98 and 2000 server

7. x10 wall switch that looks like a normal light switch?

8. Vogon Flightserver data recovery method

9. X10 3way, and x10 wall switch module only work at times

10. Desperately seeking an X10 wall switch which acts like a real switch

11. X10 3 switch Standard Wall Switch???

12. X10 3-way wall switch question

13. X10 Wall Switch Question