GE wireless weather station hack?

Post by Doug Bake » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 03:27:31

I noticed that Target sells a GE weather station, which monitors
indoor/outdoor temp & humidity with a wireless sensor. It's about $40. Does
anyone know if the protocol is accessible, to provide data to a serial port?
In fact, have any of the cheap consumer level wireless weather monitors been
hacked to do such a thing? I realize there are "real" products out there to
provide the data, but I'm looking for a cheaper alternative
thanks,
Doug

Post by Doug Bake » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 03:28:16

I noticed that Target sells a GE weather station, which monitors
indoor/outdoor temp & humidity with a wireless sensor. It's about $40. Does
anyone know if the protocol is accessible, to provide data to a serial port?
In fact, have any of the cheap consumer level wireless weather monitors been
hacked to do such a thing? I realize there are "real" products out there to
provide the data, but I'm looking for a cheaper alternative
thanks,
Doug

GE wireless weather station hack?

Post by Dave Houst » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 00:21:04

I haven't seen anything specific to GE. It may be (probable?) that someone
else makes it for GE. Oregon Scientific is sold under many brand names.

Both Lacrosse and Oregon Scientific make wireless models with RS232
interfaces. I think both qualify as "consumer level".

There were two recent (past 6-8wks) threads on this general topic. One was
"433MHz receiver to RS232" in uk.tech.home-automation, the other was "433MHz
Weather Stations" in comp.home.automation.

I think you'll spend more time and effort than it's worth. I would look at
models that include RS232. A Google search on "wireless weather station"
will turn up several with RS232.

>I noticed that Target sells a GE weather station, which monitors
>indoor/outdoor temp & humidity with a wireless sensor. It's about $40. Does
>anyone know if the protocol is accessible, to provide data to a serial port?
>In fact, have any of the cheap consumer level wireless weather monitors been
>hacked to do such a thing? I realize there are "real" products out there to
>provide the data, but I'm looking for a cheaper alternative
>thanks,
>Doug

---
http://www.laser.com/dhouston/

1. weather stations - wired or wireless

Hi all

Which is better wired or wireless.  There seems to be a lot of wireless
stations available now, but distances are not great.  I am not sure on
the exact location I would install the station, but it could be up to
200m away.

Does a rooftop make a good location for a station?

Thanks

Mick

2. Beta Version of Client Access for Win95

3. GE AW view station dicom query

4. Now I have one little problem...

5. Buyer beware- GE Wireless phone jack system

6. NEWBIE: Audiovox Maestro PPC purchased

7. 433MHz Weather Stations

8. Networking Workspaces

9. Homeseer and weather station

10. Weather Station