How do ALC 4-button scene switches work?

How do ALC 4-button scene switches work?

Post by Ken Schum » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 01:58:35

I bought an ALC 4-button scene switch to use with our older
HMS-1050 panel, but the instructions it came with are very,
very poor.

Do you set the switch base address, and then address the
buttons as base_address+[0-3]?

If so, is the top or bottom button the lowest address?

Lastly, anyone found a good professional way to label the
buttons?

TIA

How do ALC 4-button scene switches work?

Post by Malcolm » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 04:45:46

I thought you couldn't use it with the older panels.  I'll be interested to
see how it works out.

How do ALC 4-button scene switches work?

Post by Ken Schum » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 07:01:17

Previously, Malcolm W wrote in comp.home.automation:

Quote:> I thought you couldn't use it with the older panels.  I'll be interested to
> see how it works out.

You're probably right. I discovered a thread on worthington solutions
that says these switches use only one address, and the firmware then
decodes to buttons 1-4. If there is no firmware update for the
HMS 1050 panel to do this I guess it gets RMA'd and returned.
Rats.

How do ALC 4-button scene switches work?

Post by Malcolm » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 09:17:04

Quote:> You're probably right. I discovered a thread on worthington solutions
> that says these switches use only one address, and the firmware then
> decodes to buttons 1-4. If there is no firmware update for the
> HMS 1050 panel to do this I guess it gets RMA'd and returned.
> Rats.

I just saw your post about a firmware revision.  I heard from both HAI and
OnQ that there would be no support for the new stuff like this (and the
additional programming functionality) on the old panels.

It really bums me out since I hadn't even installed the HMS-1050 when the
OmniPro II came out.  I can't blame them though because it's a real PITA to
support multiple versions (I avoid it like the plague).  I'm going to try to
hold off for a couple of years until I need another expansion enclosure.
Maybe I can justify the $250 that I don't have to spend on the EE and the
amount I can sell the 1050 for.

You know the HAI makes all the panels and OnQ make the ALC?

How do ALC 4-button scene switches work?

Post by Souther » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 09:35:59

SNIP

Quote:> You know the HAI makes all the panels and OnQ make the ALC?

You know that Leviton and OnQ merged recently?

Southern

Post by Ken Schum » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 10:13:23

Previously, Malcolm W wrote in comp.home.automation:

> > You're probably right. I discovered a thread on worthington solutions
> > that says these switches use only one address, and the firmware then
> > decodes to buttons 1-4. If there is no firmware update for the
> > HMS 1050 panel to do this I guess it gets RMA'd and returned.
> > Rats.

> I just saw your post about a firmware revision.  I heard from both HAI and
> OnQ that there would be no support for the new stuff like this (and the
> additional programming functionality) on the old panels.

> It really bums me out since I hadn't even installed the HMS-1050 when the
> OmniPro II came out.

Sounds like you really got shafted on that deal! Bummer.

Quote:>  I can't blame them though because it's a real PITA to
> support multiple versions (I avoid it like the plague).

I know what you mean, but there is such a thing as customer satisfaction.

<rant>

The 1050 firmware still has bugs that they never fixed, and apparently
never will. I had to disable my keypad AUX alarm because every time there
was a power failure the panel would call the monitoring company and
report a medical alarm.

I am *really* disappointed in HAI for dropping feature support for the
old boards like a hot potato. I mean, there was no phase-out period at all,
just BOOM. I would think they should have announced an EOL date and supported
it until then. Is it *really* that hard to decode two more bits in the ALC
data packet? Jeez.

It doesn't give me any confidence that they will support any new stuff
that might come out down the line either. Heck, they don't even support
the ethernet port yet and that is sold as a feature.

Maybe a PC-based solution is really the way to go.

</rant>

Quote:>  I'm going to try to
> hold off for a couple of years until I need another expansion enclosure.
> Maybe I can justify the $250 that I don't have to spend on the EE and the
> amount I can sell the 1050 for.

> You know the HAI makes all the panels and OnQ make the ALC?

Yep.

How do ALC 4-button scene switches work?

Post by Malcolm » Sat, 01 Feb 2003 01:04:27

Quote:> You know that Leviton and OnQ merged recently?

Yes, I read about that.  Should be interesting but I hope they will still
deal with the end user.

Post by Malcolm » Sat, 01 Feb 2003 01:09:45

Quote:> Previously, Malcolm W wrote in comp.home.automation:
> > It really bums me out since I hadn't even installed the HMS-1050 when
the
> > OmniPro II came out.

> Sounds like you really got shafted on that deal! Bummer.

Well, I ordered it early and was sitting on it but a decent trade-up would
have been nice.

Quote:> The 1050 firmware still has bugs that they never fixed, and apparently
> never will. I had to disable my keypad AUX alarm because every time there
> was a power failure the panel would call the monitoring company and
> report a medical alarm.

I haven't found any bugs yet but I was really disappointed to find that I
can't programmatically brighten an ALC light and make it say, 20% brighter
than it currently is.  It works for X-10 but not ALC and the panel even
knows the current brightness.  All you can do is go to a setpoint.

Quote:> Maybe a PC-based solution is really the way to go.

I'm looking at the Premise SYS to go along with it.