Stargate newbie

Post by Brad Erickso » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 10:58:49

I just hooked up my new (bought used) Stargate to PC and ran WinEVM. Got
several .DLL failures, so downloaded the 2.42 version, installed it, (which
had the multiple .DLLs) and ran again. When I tried to run options, it
failed on a bad call to a Dynalink. Any ideas?  It also seems my connection
to the stargate is bad--what should be the pinout? I tried matching the -
12V to the non -12V on the other since I thought -12V indicated transmit,
but that didn't seem to work.
Thanks

Stargate newbie

Post by Bruce » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 17:01:59

Brad, You can get a lot of Stargate help at the JDS Users Group
www.jdsusers.com .
Also, you can get the latest manuals, software, firmware, application
notes and pinouts (Application note #6) at www.jdstechnologies.com.
 You need to do a full install of the WinEVM software on your PC and
upgrade your Stargate firmware too. Read the manual and follow all of
the setup instructions and you should be up and running quickly. You'll
also find that, if you need it, JDS support is excellent.
 I'm not sure what you're referring to when you mention that you're
trying to communicate on the -12V since, if it's what I'm thinking,
that's just a power supply terminal.  There is a modular connector on
the left side of the board marked COM1 and that is what you need to
connect to the PC's serial port (or USB if you use a serial to USB
adaptor).

Quote:> I just hooked up my new (bought used) Stargate to PC and ran WinEVM.
Got
> several .DLL failures, so downloaded the 2.42 version, installed it,
(which
> had the multiple .DLLs) and ran again. When I tried to run options, it
> failed on a bad call to a Dynalink. Any ideas?  It also seems my
connection
> to the stargate is bad--what should be the pinout? I tried matching
the -
> 12V to the non -12V on the other since I thought -12V indicated
transmit,
> but that didn't seem to work.
> Thanks

1. newbie -> HAI vs JDS Stargate vs Homevision

I have seen alot of posts comparing JDS Stargate to Homevision,
but not as compared to HAI Aegis/Omni Pro. Before lurking on this
newsgroup, I was told to update my security system with either HAI
product, and that it would also do all my X10 stuff.

So if someone could help a newbie understand if the HAI product
is more capable than these two, or is used in conjunction with these
two, or these two do everything HAI does and more (i.e. don't get
Aegis or Omni Pro).

I am starting from scratch except for the DSC security system that
was installed when the house was built. So I can be easily influenced
as no decisions have been made!

Thanks in advance

2. FP2002 - Continuing Shared Border and Include component problem

3. Newbie Mistake: Re Needed FAQ for Newbie

4. Synchronization

5. newbie questions.-MSN newbie

6. M02 Performance: Absolutely Hopeless

7. PhAB newbie question (very newbie)

8. TFTP server enabled or not?

9. No.1 Newbie Tip (from a newbie)

10. Stargate SG-1

11. FS: Caddx, Stargate and RCS items.

12. Stargate and hardwired lighting control