Radio Shack Modulator

Post by Kevin Sutto » Thu, 22 Mar 2001 12:48:44

I picked up the 15-1243 UHF/Cable RF Modulator from Radio Shack for $50.  Is
this one that I can use to transmit video onto a cable channel throughout my
house?

The guy at RadioShack claimed I could, but I have not had luck with it yet.
Only tried twice due to bad weather...

If yes, could someone please provide info on the setup?

If it can't, can anyone recommend a cheap one that can?  I only want to
trasmit video from my front door cam to the tvs throughout the house.
Single input, output to cable interface box outside house...  AT&T cable if
that matters...

Thanks!
KS

Radio Shack Modulator

Post by ManNantu » Fri, 23 Mar 2001 10:39:35

I am not familiar with that particular modulator, but I think you are confusing
a few items.  A modulator usually does not "transmit" it is placed in line of
your cable and modulates the video out of the camera onto an unused cable
station. (which you must select)

What you need is a wireless video sender and receiver.  You then can send the
video to the receiver which you then modulate to a channel and distribute.  The
other option is to wire the camera to the modulator which is distributed.
You might try www.x-10.com - they have inexpensive ones (video senders)  They
also sell wireless cameras and receivers.  I know the reviews are mixed, but I
just got some and for survielance they do what they say they will. (Only
negatives I see so far are that they need alot of light, but should do fine at
a front door)

As always you get what you pay for, and if you need a better (ie longer range)
sender, try www.supercircuits.com  They have all sorts of hidden video stuff at
good prices IMHO.

Radio Shack Modulator

Post by <no0n.. » Fri, 23 Mar 2001 11:36:19

Actually, I do understand the difference there.  Here is what I have
currently:

2 WideEye XCams with Receiver
15-1243 UHF/Cable RF Modulator from Radio Shack

This particular modulator has the ability to select the channel and the type
of output (i.e. Cable, IR, etc.).  The channel ranges are very large based
on the setting selected.  I believe my correct setting would be Cable.  I
have selected channel 85 (but have tried many from 65-125) as it is not near
any "used" channels from what I can tell.  I have the camera receiver
plugged into the AV inputs of the modulator.  The coax output of the
modulator runs into a 2-way splitter/combiner.  One connection is hooked to
the modulator, the other to the cable company's feed.  The output of the
combiner is then sent to the splitter in the cable box that sends the feed
to my normal four cable jacks installed throughout the house.

I get no signal on 85 (or any of the other that I select on the modulator).
If I go straight from the modulator to a TV, the signal is fine...  What am
I doing wrong here?

I don't want to have to buy 3 more receivers for each of the TVs that I want
the video feed to go to.

I would think that this equipment should serve the purpose of what I need...
Am I missing something?  Forgive me, I am a beginner!

Thanks,
Kevin

Quote:> I am not familiar with that particular modulator, but I think you are
confusing
> a few items.  A modulator usually does not "transmit" it is placed in line
of
> your cable and modulates the video out of the camera onto an unused cable
> station. (which you must select)

> What you need is a wireless video sender and receiver.  You then can send
the
> video to the receiver which you then modulate to a channel and distribute.
The
> other option is to wire the camera to the modulator which is distributed.
> You might try www.x-10.com - they have inexpensive ones (video senders)
They
> also sell wireless cameras and receivers.  I know the reviews are mixed,
but I
> just got some and for survielance they do what they say they will. (Only
> negatives I see so far are that they need alot of light, but should do
fine at
> a front door)

> As always you get what you pay for, and if you need a better (ie longer
range)
> sender, try www.supercircuits.com  They have all sorts of hidden video
stuff at
> good prices IMHO.

Radio Shack Modulator

Post by Wayne Davi » Fri, 23 Mar 2001 11:44:49

YES, it can.   I just bought one too, AND have it transmitting on CA125

The problem you MAY be having is Amplifiers,  Splitters, DC pwr on Line.

IF you are using a line amp.  One which is powered through the cable itself,
THAT WILL be a problem.

Low quality splitters are also a problem.  The Cable company guys have stuff
that is BETTER than you can buy.  And where it will really count, is up
there in the Channel 125 area.

  Set up THIS way:   All the tv's to a splitter, at the INPUT side use
another splitter and inject the modulator there.  This is AFTER any
amplifier.  If you are using an injection pwr supply.  MODIFY the setup so
the the injector is BEFORE the modulators splitter, OR better yet, DONT use
that type, use a normal line amp.  Again, the cable guys HERE use Scientific
Atlanta goodies.  And HERE, they put a amp in gratis  :-)

BTW, I got 1 second little pops due to a injector setup.  Luckily, the amp
they supplied also has a direct input for power AT THE AMP.  I simply
removed the injector setup at my TV, went into the attic and plugged the
powersupply in up there, then ran the cable to the pwr in.  TADA, nice
picture!

Quote:> I picked up the 15-1243 UHF/Cable RF Modulator from Radio Shack for $50.
Is
> this one that I can use to transmit video onto a cable channel throughout
my
> house?

> The guy at RadioShack claimed I could, but I have not had luck with it
yet.
> Only tried twice due to bad weather...

> If yes, could someone please provide info on the setup?

> If it can't, can anyone recommend a cheap one that can?  I only want to
> trasmit video from my front door cam to the tvs throughout the house.
> Single input, output to cable interface box outside house...  AT&T cable
if
> that matters...

> Thanks!
> KS

Radio Shack Modulator

Post by <no0n.. » Sun, 25 Mar 2001 13:54:59

OK, I got my setup working correctly.  I am now transmitting to channel 85
(have tried 125 also).  If I go straight through without plugging my cable
company's input into the combiner, my XCam picture is VERY crisp.  As soon
as the cable is added, the XCam picture gets quite fuzzy.  Still good enough
to make out the picture, but fuzzy enough to be aggravating.

Here is a quick diagram on how I have things wired:
http://www.virtuallysold.net/Cable/cable.jpg .  The combiner and splitter
are both housed in my cable box on the outside of the house...

Is there anything out of place?  Is there anything I can do to improve my
picture quality?

Thanks for all of the help!!!
Kevin

> YES, it can.   I just bought one too, AND have it transmitting on CA125

> The problem you MAY be having is Amplifiers,  Splitters, DC pwr on Line.

> IF you are using a line amp.  One which is powered through the cable
itself,
> THAT WILL be a problem.

> Low quality splitters are also a problem.  The Cable company guys have
stuff
> that is BETTER than you can buy.  And where it will really count, is up
> there in the Channel 125 area.

>   Set up THIS way:   All the tv's to a splitter, at the INPUT side use
> another splitter and inject the modulator there.  This is AFTER any
> amplifier.  If you are using an injection pwr supply.  MODIFY the setup so
> the the injector is BEFORE the modulators splitter, OR better yet, DONT
use
> that type, use a normal line amp.  Again, the cable guys HERE use
Scientific
> Atlanta goodies.  And HERE, they put a amp in gratis  :-)

> BTW, I got 1 second little pops due to a injector setup.  Luckily, the amp
> they supplied also has a direct input for power AT THE AMP.  I simply
> removed the injector setup at my TV, went into the attic and plugged the
> powersupply in up there, then ran the cable to the pwr in.  TADA, nice
> picture!

> > I picked up the 15-1243 UHF/Cable RF Modulator from Radio Shack for $50.
> Is
> > this one that I can use to transmit video onto a cable channel
throughout
> my
> > house?

> > The guy at RadioShack claimed I could, but I have not had luck with it
> yet.
> > Only tried twice due to bad weather...

> > If yes, could someone please provide info on the setup?

> > If it can't, can anyone recommend a cheap one that can?  I only want to
> > trasmit video from my front door cam to the tvs throughout the house.
> > Single input, output to cable interface box outside house...  AT&T cable
> if
> > that matters...

> > Thanks!
> > KS

Radio Shack Modulator

Post by James Himmelm » Mon, 26 Mar 2001 07:30:24

Not sure why you need the line amp and power injector there, but one
way to improve the modulated video is to use a "low pass filter" to
clean up the channels that you want to put your own signal on. They
are available in various frequencies.

I purchased a low pass filter that cleans out all channels above 80.
Once I cleaned out those frequencies, my modulated channels were much
clearer. I started my modulated channels on 100 (just an easy number
to remember). It is also recommended that you leave at least one
channel in between modulated channels, so my modulated channels are
100, 102, 104, etc. I then just configured my TV's to skip channels
101, 103, 105, etc.

One source for low pass filters is here -

http://www.hometech.com/video/atten.html#filters

--
Jim H.

Radio Shack Modulator

Post by <no0n.. » Mon, 26 Mar 2001 07:37:50

Without the inline amp & power injector, my picture is covered in snow.
Didn't know what to try next so I added them and it helped a little.  I will
see if I can pick up a filter and bypass the need for an amp.

Does Radio Shack/Home Depot/Lowes/etc. usually cary any of the filters?

Thanks!

> [...]

> >>   Set up THIS way:   All the tv's to a splitter, at the INPUT
> >>   side use
> >> another splitter and inject the modulator there.  This is AFTER
> >> any amplifier.  If you are using an injection pwr supply.
> >> MODIFY the setup so the the injector is BEFORE the modulators
> >> splitter, OR better yet, DONT
> >use
> >> that type, use a normal line amp.  Again, the cable guys HERE
> >> use
> >Scientific
> >> Atlanta goodies.  And HERE, they put a amp in gratis  :-)

> >> BTW, I got 1 second little pops due to a injector setup.
> >> Luckily, the amp they supplied also has a direct input for power
> >> AT THE AMP.  I simply removed the injector setup at my TV, went
> >> into the attic and plugged the powersupply in up there, then ran
> >> the cable to the pwr in.  TADA, nice picture!

Radio Shack Modulator

Post by James Himmelm » Tue, 27 Mar 2001 02:53:02

I have no idea. I did a quick check for "low pass filter" at the
Radio Shack web site and didn't find one, but the search engine sucks
at that site, finding hundreds or thousands of "matches" no matter
what you type in. "low pass filter" found 4,193 matches, NONE of
which (at least the first couple dozen I checked) seem to have the
words "low pass filter" in them.

--
Jim H.

Radio Shack Modulator

Post by Mark Lloy » Tue, 27 Mar 2001 13:14:27

Quote:> I have no idea. I did a quick check for "low pass filter" at the
> Radio Shack web site and didn't find one, but the search engine sucks
> at that site,

Yes. Try http://www.homecontrols.com/, click "browse", search for "low
pass filter".

Quote:> finding hundreds or thousands of "matches" no matter
> what you type in. "low pass filter" found 4,193 matches, NONE of
> which (at least the first couple dozen I checked) seem to have the
> words "low pass filter" in them.

It's probably finding everything with at least one of the words in it.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://148.75.72.214

Radio Shack Modulator

Post by <no0n.. » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 10:18:20

Ok.  One last question...  I picked up a low pass filter today.  Installed
it and the modulated picture (channel 120) is much better!  Only problem now
is that channels 3-6 are quite fuzzy.

What causes this?

Thanks!

> [...]

> >>   Set up THIS way:   All the tv's to a splitter, at the INPUT
> >>   side use
> >> another splitter and inject the modulator there.  This is AFTER
> >> any amplifier.  If you are using an injection pwr supply.
> >> MODIFY the setup so the the injector is BEFORE the modulators
> >> splitter, OR better yet, DONT
> >use
> >> that type, use a normal line amp.  Again, the cable guys HERE
> >> use
> >Scientific
> >> Atlanta goodies.  And HERE, they put a amp in gratis  :-)

> >> BTW, I got 1 second little pops due to a injector setup.
> >> Luckily, the amp they supplied also has a direct input for power
> >> AT THE AMP.  I simply removed the injector setup at my TV, went
> >> into the attic and plugged the powersupply in up there, then ran
> >> the cable to the pwr in.  TADA, nice picture!

Radio Shack Modulator

Post by James Himmelm » Thu, 29 Mar 2001 07:52:03

Quote:>Ok.  One last question...  I picked up a low pass filter today.
>Installed it and the modulated picture (channel 120) is much
>better!  Only problem now is that channels 3-6 are quite fuzzy.

>What causes this?

>Thanks!

Faulty filter, I think. I have two absolutely identical Channel
Vision Low Pass filters (same exact model number). One screws up my
channel 2, the other works fine. I'd exchange it for another and see
what happens.

I had ordered mine through an online vendor. They sent me the second
one without requiring me to return the first one. They admitted that
I was not the first person with a problem.

--
Jim H.

Radio Shack Modulator

Post by Mark Lloy » Sat, 05 May 2001 02:11:40

>Not sure why you need the line amp and power injector there, but one
>way to improve the modulated video is to use a "low pass filter" to
>clean up the channels that you want to put your own signal on. They
>are available in various frequencies.

>I purchased a low pass filter that cleans out all channels above 80.
>Once I cleaned out those frequencies, my modulated channels were much
>clearer. I started my modulated channels on 100 (just an easy number
>to remember). It is also recommended that you leave at least one
>channel in between modulated channels, so my modulated channels are
>100, 102, 104, etc. I then just configured my TV's to skip channels
>101, 103, 105, etc.

I started with channel 70. All of my TVs and VCRs can  tune channels
up to 125, but tuning 100-125 is more difficult. 70 is still far away
from the cable here, which just goes up to 42. They (the cable
company) have started digital service and I don't know what channel(s)
are being used for that, but my modulated channels (70,72,74,76) are
still working OK.

>One source for low pass filters is here -

>http://www.hometech.com/video/atten.html#filters

>>OK, I got my setup working correctly.  I am now transmitting to
>>channel 85 (have tried 125 also).  If I go straight through
>>without plugging my cable company's input into the combiner, my
>>XCam picture is VERY crisp.  As soon as the cable is added, the
>>XCam picture gets quite fuzzy.  Still good enough to make out the
>>picture, but fuzzy enough to be aggravating.

>>Here is a quick diagram on how I have things wired:
>>http://www.virtuallysold.net/Cable/cable.jpg .  The combiner and
>>splitter are both housed in my cable box on the outside of the
>>house...

>>Is there anything out of place?  Is there anything I can do to
>>improve my picture quality?

>>Thanks for all of the help!!!
>>Kevin

>>> YES, it can.   I just bought one too, AND have it transmitting
>>> on CA125

>>> The problem you MAY be having is Amplifiers,  Splitters, DC pwr
>>> on Line.

>>> IF you are using a line amp.  One which is powered through the
>>> cable
>>itself,
>>> THAT WILL be a problem.

>>> Low quality splitters are also a problem.  The Cable company
>>> guys have
>>stuff
>>> that is BETTER than you can buy.  And where it will really
>>> count, is up there in the Channel 125 area.

>>>   Set up THIS way:   All the tv's to a splitter, at the INPUT
>>>   side use
>>> another splitter and inject the modulator there.  This is AFTER
>>> any amplifier.  If you are using an injection pwr supply.
>>> MODIFY the setup so the the injector is BEFORE the modulators
>>> splitter, OR better yet, DONT
>>use
>>> that type, use a normal line amp.  Again, the cable guys HERE
>>> use
>>Scientific
>>> Atlanta goodies.  And HERE, they put a amp in gratis  :-)

>>> BTW, I got 1 second little pops due to a injector setup.
>>> Luckily, the amp they supplied also has a direct input for power
>>> AT THE AMP.  I simply removed the injector setup at my TV, went
>>> into the attic and plugged the powersupply in up there, then ran
>>> the cable to the pwr in.  TADA, nice picture!

>>> Is
>>throughout
>>> my

>>> yet.

>>> if

Mark Lloyd
http://148.75.72.214
http://go.to/notstupid

Radio Shack Modulator

Post by don marquard » Sat, 05 May 2001 04:48:34

Cable channels are not always the same as off the air channels.  There is a
difference.  I saw a chart somewhere but don't remember where.

Radio Shack Modulator

Post by TSLtre » Sat, 05 May 2001 06:07:37

 Couldn't find the start of this thread, but was wondering if anyone knows
how to modify the radio shack ch3/4 modulator for use with other channels?
Is it possible?

thanks.

> >Not sure why you need the line amp and power injector there, but one
> >way to improve the modulated video is to use a "low pass filter" to
> >clean up the channels that you want to put your own signal on. They
> >are available in various frequencies.

> >I purchased a low pass filter that cleans out all channels above 80.
> >Once I cleaned out those frequencies, my modulated channels were much
> >clearer. I started my modulated channels on 100 (just an easy number
> >to remember). It is also recommended that you leave at least one
> >channel in between modulated channels, so my modulated channels are
> >100, 102, 104, etc. I then just configured my TV's to skip channels
> >101, 103, 105, etc.

> I started with channel 70. All of my TVs and VCRs can  tune channels
> up to 125, but tuning 100-125 is more difficult. 70 is still far away
> from the cable here, which just goes up to 42. They (the cable
> company) have started digital service and I don't know what channel(s)
> are being used for that, but my modulated channels (70,72,74,76) are
> still working OK.

> >One source for low pass filters is here -

> >http://www.hometech.com/video/atten.html#filters

> >>OK, I got my setup working correctly.  I am now transmitting to
> >>channel 85 (have tried 125 also).  If I go straight through
> >>without plugging my cable company's input into the combiner, my
> >>XCam picture is VERY crisp.  As soon as the cable is added, the
> >>XCam picture gets quite fuzzy.  Still good enough to make out the
> >>picture, but fuzzy enough to be aggravating.

> >>Here is a quick diagram on how I have things wired:
> >>http://www.virtuallysold.net/Cable/cable.jpg .  The combiner and
> >>splitter are both housed in my cable box on the outside of the
> >>house...

> >>Is there anything out of place?  Is there anything I can do to
> >>improve my picture quality?

> >>Thanks for all of the help!!!
> >>Kevin

> >>itself,

> >>stuff

> >>use
> >>Scientific

> >>throughout

> Mark Lloyd
> http://148.75.72.214
> http://go.to/notstupid

Radio Shack Modulator

Post by Mark Lloy » Sat, 05 May 2001 06:14:19

On Thu, 03 May 2001 19:48:34 GMT, "don marquardt"

>Cable channels are not always the same as off the air channels.  There is a
>difference.  I saw a chart somewhere but don't remember where.

Cable channels 65-94 and 100-125 are in the same frequency range as
UHF channels 14-69.

cable 65 = 469.25
UHF 14 = 471.25
.
cable 94 = 643.25
cable 100 = 649.25
.
cable 125 = 799.25
UHF 69 = 801.25

I got this information from http://www.qrf.com/ustvchan.htm
BTW, the cable channel numbers here go to 158 (997.25MHz)

Mark Lloyd
http://148.75.72.214
http://go.to/notstupid