Kind of OT: Anyone have a Wireless ISP?

Post by Nathan D. Olmschei » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 05:11:37

I just moved into a new house I had built. We moved in on June 30th. I was
just freaking out because their is not Cable or DSL for internet access. I
can see the nearest cable box from my back window, but yet they did not have
it in my area (what they meant is we don't want to run it to your cul-de-sac
yet...we will wait until you get DirecTV and other services, let you get
your lawn in, and then come in and rip it up and get you access ) (not
bitter at all?? hehe). Sprint says they are unsure when they will get DSL in
my area. So after a few months (prior to moving in) of calling the cable
company and phone company I ended up with nothing. So for one week I had
been connecting to the Internet via my SprintPCS cell phone via their dial
connection. Works alright, faster than most LAN line dial ups.

I am an IT Manager for a company and we have the same problem so we used a
wireless ISP. It was great service, importunely the company discontinued
their service. They were being taught the ins and outs by another company
and could not keep up with the load along with their other business which
was Nextel phones, Dish, DirecTV, etc etc.

I called up that (other) company (Stonebridge Wireless) and I now have a
wireless link to a tower about 8 miles sway. I have a small foot by foot
square antenna only about a half inch thick or so. They just installed it
yesterday. So far I am very impressed. I signed up for a 640K UP and DOWN. I
did several speed tests last night and I am getting well over that. I am
very impressed. I was actively getting over 800K download speeds when
downloading files from one of my servers in my data center for the company I
own. (not on the same network) I also did tests through DSL reports and the
likes and was getting in the 600-700's as well.

Has anyone else had experience with WISP's yet? How has your service been??
We even had a bad storm last night and I still did not have any glitches
that I could notice.

Would love to hear other peoples experiences! I was a HUGE cable internet
fan as I had it for 3 years with out a problem at all, but so far my
Wireless service is pretty neat.

Take Care
Nathan

Kind of OT: Anyone have a Wireless ISP?

Post by Bruce » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 07:45:31

What's the monthly cost for that service and what part of the country
are you in?

Quote:> I just moved into a new house I had built. We moved in on June 30th. I

Post by Jack A » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 08:31:26

Answers here: http://www.sbwireless.net/Index.htm

> What's the monthly cost for that service and what part of the country
> are you in?

> > I just moved into a new house I had built. We moved in on June 30th. I
> was
> > just freaking out because their is not Cable or DSL for internet
> access. I
> > can see the nearest cable box from my back window, but yet they did
> not have
> > it in my area (what they meant is we don't want to run it to your
> cul-de-sac
> > yet...we will wait until you get DirecTV and other services, let you
> get
> > your lawn in, and then come in and rip it up and get you access ) (not
> > bitter at all?? hehe). Sprint says they are unsure when they will get
> DSL in
> > my area. So after a few months (prior to moving in) of calling the
> cable
> > company and phone company I ended up with nothing. So for one week I
> had
> > been connecting to the Internet via my SprintPCS cell phone via their
> dial
> > connection. Works alright, faster than most LAN line dial ups.

> > I am an IT Manager for a company and we have the same problem so we
> used a
> > wireless ISP. It was great service, importunely the company
> discontinued
> > their service. They were being taught the ins and outs by another
> company
> > and could not keep up with the load along with their other business
> which
> > was Nextel phones, Dish, DirecTV, etc etc.

> > I called up that (other) company (Stonebridge Wireless) and I now have

Kind of OT: Anyone have a Wireless ISP?

Post by Bruce » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 09:27:13

Thanks, seems like a decent alternative if cable and DSL are
unavailable. A few bucks less and they'd give those options a good run
for their money.

> Answers here: http://www.sbwireless.net/Index.htm

> > What's the monthly cost for that service and what part of the
country
> > are you in?

> > > I just moved into a new house I had built. We moved in on June
30th. I
> > was
> > > just freaking out because their is not Cable or DSL for internet
> > access. I
> > > can see the nearest cable box from my back window, but yet they
did
> > not have
> > > it in my area (what they meant is we don't want to run it to your
> > cul-de-sac
> > > yet...we will wait until you get DirecTV and other services, let
you
> > get
> > > your lawn in, and then come in and rip it up and get you access )
(not
> > > bitter at all?? hehe). Sprint says they are unsure when they will
get
> > DSL in
> > > my area. So after a few months (prior to moving in) of calling the
> > cable
> > > company and phone company I ended up with nothing. So for one week
> > had
> > > been connecting to the Internet via my SprintPCS cell phone via
their
> > dial
> > > connection. Works alright, faster than most LAN line dial ups.

> > > I am an IT Manager for a company and we have the same problem so
we
> > used a
> > > wireless ISP. It was great service, importunely the company
> > discontinued
> > > their service. They were being taught the ins and outs by another
> > company
> > > and could not keep up with the load along with their other
business
> > which
> > > was Nextel phones, Dish, DirecTV, etc etc.

> > > I called up that (other) company (Stonebridge Wireless) and I now
have

Kind of OT: Anyone have a Wireless ISP?

Post by Nathan D. Olmschei » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 11:04:36

Yeah it is a great service. I have been trying to push it to its limits this
evening and no faults yet. I am very impressed with it.

I am in Minnesota. The company is small but very knowledgeable in the
industry. Lots of fun to work with as well. Recently they have had some
business changes and they will be expanding very quickly now I expect. I
guess we will see how it goes.

At this point I don't believe their goal is to compete with DSL or Cable,
its to get rural areas access. Like I said I am only about 150 yards from a
neighbor who has cable. This is my only alternative. Now that I have it I
doubt I would get anything else ....even when cable comes....ya snooze ya
lose

> Thanks, seems like a decent alternative if cable and DSL are
> unavailable. A few bucks less and they'd give those options a good run
> for their money.

> > Answers here: http://www.sbwireless.net/Index.htm

> > > What's the monthly cost for that service and what part of the
> country
> > > are you in?

> 30th. I
> > > was
> > > access. I
> did
> > > not have
> > > cul-de-sac
> you
> > > get
> (not
> get
> > > DSL in
> > > cable
> > > had
> their
> > > dial

> we
> > > used a
> > > discontinued
> > > company
> business
> > > which

> have

1. OT: anyone having trouble with OS 9.1 and printers?

Sorry for an off-topic question, and I should probably be posting this
on a Mac-specific NG, but there are so many skilled Mac users on this
NG doing what I do, I thought I would try.

I have a 1994 Lexmark Optra laser printer, which can print in both PS2
and PCL5 emulation. I used it for years on a PC, and am now using on a
Mac. I'm a relatively newcomer to the Mac platform.

It works fine on my Mac when used as a Postscript printer. What I have
never been able to figure out is how to install it so that I can also
print to it in PCL5 mode. When I go to the Lexmark web site to download
drivers, I get three choices:

1. Macintosh PPD files for Lexmark printers,
2. Lexmark PDF files for QuarkXpress, and
3. Quickdraw GX printer drivers.

I don't know what Quickdraw GX is, and it prints fine using Xpress
using the regular Lexmark PPD and the Adobe PS driver, without whatever
a PDF file is.

About half my work goes camera-ready from my desktop printer output,
and the other half goes to film from a high-res device. In the bad old
days, working on a PC, it was handy, when confronted with a sticky PS
error, to sometimes be able to print the odd page in PCL5 mode,
especially when no EPSs were involved, and the deadline was tight. I
would still like to be able to do this, but can not figure out how to
install the printer as two separate printers, as I once had it under
Windows.

Any advice would be appreciated, and if it is not possible to do this,
I can live with that. It would just be nice to know.

TIA

Paul Harris

2. IBM ads comment

3. wireless ISP connection - laptop pc question

4. parallelizing compilers

5. ISO: Wireless ISP for Laptop

6. WTB: Ethernet PCMCIA and ROCKEY

7. OT? Still having onboard video issues

8. where can i advertise document config specialst job and get an answer

9. Does anyone have Optimum Online as their ISP

10. OT - Wireless Networking

11. somewhat OT - wireless networking?

12. Has anyone set up MSN as an ISP for Linux??

13. Anyone here using Kremlin 2.21? Disapearing ISP passwords.