GE Homeminder

Post by Joe Jelemens » Sun, 22 May 1994 06:31:08

Does anyone out there use the X10 compatible GE Homeminder? I used
to have one and it was pretty cool. It had a video interface to the
TV and an infrared remote. You programmed it interactively/graphically.
But alas, the video went out and I couldn't find anyone to repair it.

-jj
Joe Jelemensky  Phone: (512) 891-2243   FAX:   (512) 891-3348
AMCU - Modular Microcontroller Design
Motorola Semiconductor Products Sector

GE Homeminder

Post by Gib Hen » Sun, 22 May 1994 13:01:44

> Does anyone out there use the X10 compatible GE Homeminder? I used
> to have one and it was pretty cool. It had a video interface to the
> TV and an infrared remote. You programmed it interactively/graphically.
> But alas, the video went out and I couldn't find anyone to repair it.

I bought one under Radio Shack's name and they repaired it for me once.
But it wasn't cheap (more than I paid for the unit).  You might see if they
can help you.
--
Gib Henry

GE Homeminder

Post by Dominic Scamporri » Mon, 23 May 1994 17:28:25

: Does anyone out there use the X10 compatible GE Homeminder? I used
: to have one and it was pretty cool. It had a video interface to the
: TV and an infrared remote. You programmed it interactively/graphically.
: But alas, the video went out and I couldn't find anyone to repair it.

I've owned 2 of these units and set my Mom up with another, exact same
problem with them all, dead video. :(
The Homeminder in combination with the Mem-Cp8's IR programming was fantastic!

Dominic (saved one) Scamporrino

GE Homeminder

Post by James F. Widn » Wed, 25 May 1994 09:00:20

: Does anyone out there use the X10 compatible GE Homeminder? I used
: to have one and it was pretty cool. It had a video interface to the
: TV and an infrared remote. You programmed it interactively/graphically.
: But alas, the video went out and I couldn't find anyone to repair it.

I used to have the Homeminder, but mine, like yours blew the video.  I
never could get it fixed.  I got mine at a Radio Shack closeout for a
good cheap price.  I did like it, especially, the telephone access
capability.

"Language most shows a man:                 | CompuServe: 74566,3041
 Speak, that I May see thee" - Jonson       | GEnie: J.WIDNER

GE Homeminder

:
: : I used to have the Homeminder, but mine, like yours blew the video.  I
: : never could get it fixed.  I got mine at a Radio Shack closeout for a
: : good cheap price.  I did like it, especially, the telephone access
: : capability.
:
: I would be interested in buying or trading a Homeminder with broken video

: you've got a Homeminder that you want to get rid of.
: mike

I too bought a Homeminder on sale at R.S.  Worked fine for several years
until I went to switch the time to/from Daylight saveings, No video output.
I blindly re-set the clock, all was working well, and then researched
the problem with video output.  Seems the video chip was from a bad batch,
they all went out on a regular schedule, but I was able to get a spare
from a local vendor.  The part is made by Texas Inst. and was about $5
as I recall. E-Z to replace if you have done any electronics soldering, I
just clipped out the old part and soldered the new one right on to the
old pins. It was about a 40 pin part, I'd give the pn, but I glued a
heatsink to the top of the IC, It ran a bit toasty, but has been going for
another 4 or 5 years now. It lives in the garage, plugged into a 220v appliance
module which I use as a coupling bridge 'tween the 2 phases of power.
Mike.
My own views/opinions, not my employers.

GE Homeminder

Post by Dr. Finkleste » Thu, 26 May 1994 05:28:13

: : Does anyone out there use the X10 compatible GE Homeminder? I used
: : to have one and it was pretty cool. It had a video interface to the
: : TV and an infrared remote. You programmed it interactively/graphically.
: : But alas, the video went out and I couldn't find anyone to repair it.

: I used to have the Homeminder, but mine, like yours blew the video.  I
: never could get it fixed.  I got mine at a Radio Shack closeout for a
: good cheap price.  I did like it, especially, the telephone access
: capability.

I would be interested in buying or trading a Homeminder with broken video

you've got a Homeminder that you want to get rid of.

mike

The rip-off attitude of many today is "get somebody else to do your job for
you".  This is very unprofessional and shows no pride of workmanship.  It
demonstrates a deterioration in humanity in the past 30 years.  -FRED BACH

GE Homeminder

Post by Jeff Hunsing » Sat, 28 May 1994 04:07:49

Sounds like the Homeminder used the TMS9918 series graphics chips. These guys were
ultra-popular in the early 80's. They also all seemed to suffer from the early
death syndrome as well. They run very hot, which is probably why they die. Every
Colecovision and Adam computer used a similar chip, the TMS9928, which may be
compatible. The 9918 was also used in the TI 99/4A series home computers. I have
yet to find one of these machines that didn't have a fried 9918, though. These chips
are also available from a number of mail order sources (JDR and Micromint, for example).

Heat sinking is a very good idea.

Jeff

1. Need old GE Homeminder

All you home automation old-timers must remember this one: the 1984
vintage General Electric Homeminder.  This was a stand-alone, programmable
X-10 controller with an IR remote and a video interface.  I now have a
special application and need to locate one desperately.  Any help is

2. NAT with one FIXED IP on 11.3

3. Free: GE HomeMinder

4. dblspace vs. drvspace

5. GE HomeMinder/RadioShack ???

6. HELP - Mac, SoftWindows, PsiWin & an S5

7. FS: Original GE Homeminder

8. CCS_EXTENDSEL vs CCS_MULTIPLESEL

9. GE Homeminder Troubleshooting

10. Replacement For GE Homeminder?

11. GE HOMEMINDER

12. GE Homeminder System Repair

13. WTB: HomeMinder (GE/RS): programs X-10 with TV