Web-based X10 project - which x10 HW to buy?

Web-based X10 project - which x10 HW to buy?

Post by Ken Smit » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 01:32:08

I am writing an X10 web-based interface (..I know..there are already
a bunch out there - this is for a school project...) this will
communicate
with the X10 protocol to allow remote lighting/appliance control via the

internet. I have been looking around at online X10 retailers for
'starter'
kits that include the computer interface (CM11, FireCracker..) and a
few modules so that I can mock up a automated home with a lamp and
appliance module and demo it for the professor. Also - where does one
get a copy of the X10 communications protocol? (is it included in the
kit??)

Not sure which basic 'starter' kit I should go with for this project and

where to purchase. From reading the posts to this group - it is pretty
obvious that my questions are pretty basic.

Any suggestions on which basic kit I should purchase for this project
and
which online retailer (X10.com, Smarthome..etc) I should give $ to?

Thanks in advance for the help and your time.

Regards,
Ken

Web-based X10 project - which x10 HW to buy?

Post by Dave Houst » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 22:25:10

This month's "Nuts & Volts" has an article on using SitePlayer & PIC to
control X-10 with a CM11A.

There are at least 4 communications protocols - one for the TW523/PL513, one
for the CM17A (Firecracker), one for RF, and one for the CM11A. There are
links to all in the "Links" section of my web page.

You probably should review the protocols before deciding which hardware to
use.

SmartHome will have the highest prices.

>I am writing an X10 web-based interface (..I know..there are already
>a bunch out there - this is for a school project...) this will
>communicate
>with the X10 protocol to allow remote lighting/appliance control via the

>internet. I have been looking around at online X10 retailers for
>'starter'
>kits that include the computer interface (CM11, FireCracker..) and a
>few modules so that I can mock up a automated home with a lamp and
>appliance module and demo it for the professor. Also - where does one
>get a copy of the X10 communications protocol? (is it included in the
>kit??)

>Not sure which basic 'starter' kit I should go with for this project and

>where to purchase. From reading the posts to this group - it is pretty
>obvious that my questions are pretty basic.

>Any suggestions on which basic kit I should purchase for this project
>and
>which online retailer (X10.com, Smarthome..etc) I should give $ to?

>Thanks in advance for the help and your time.

>Regards,
>Ken

---
http://www.laser.com/dhouston/

1. Where to buy X10 wireless base/remote?

OK.  I've gathered up information about the X10 wireless transceiver and
remote to purchase (the RT504 8-button remote and the TM751 16-device
base).  Where's the best place to purchase?  I've looked over the online
catalogs of Home Controls, Home Automation Systems, and Worthington
Distribution.

Any others?

Dealers' responses are welcome!  I'm ready to buy!

Tom

2. Bounces-to header

3. Web based GUI for x10 control on win95

4. Looking for Medical theme

5. WebX10 (Web Based GUI for X10 control on linux)

6. Request info on programming Apple SSC through Assembly

7. Announcement: Complete web-based corporate Time Tracking solution with interface to MS Project.

8. A1000 wanted, DEAD

9. X10 hw/sw for macintosh (not the cp290)?

10. X10 WIRELESS SECURITY RECEIVER WITH X10 MS13A Motion Detector

11. Difference between X10 Power House CP290 and X10 Power House Tw523

12. Werid X10 ?: Control an X10 Window/Door Sensor (DW534) with a Universal Module (UM506)?

13. x10 motion detector sending x10