Source for 8 conductor phone jacks?

Post by Chris Smolins » Mon, 25 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Does anyone know of a source for 8 conductor phone jacks? Might I add
*reasonably priced*. Radio Shack has them, for around $8. I checked Lowes,
and they didn't have any. They did have AT&T brand 6 conductor, although
for around $6. I can't believe that they should cost much more than 4
conductor jacks, which run around $1.50. (although the laws of supply and
demand, and economy of scale, may run the price up some)

Do any of the cheap mail-order electronics places carry them?

I'm considering installing them throughout my new house, for eventual home
automation, interfacing, network, etc use.

Chris

P.S. The next question would be to ask where's a source of cheap 8
conductor phone plugs!

|Check out my WWW page at http://www.access.digex.net/~cps/ for scientific   |
|software for the Mac, Free Radio, Shortwave Radio, and Spy Numbers Stations |
|information.                                                                |

Post by John Lundgr » Tue, 26 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: Does anyone know of a source for 8 conductor phone jacks? Might I add
: *reasonably priced*. Radio Shack has them, for around $8. I checked Lowes,
: and they didn't have any. They did have AT&T brand 6 conductor, although
: for around $6. I can't believe that they should cost much more than 4
: conductor jacks, which run around $1.50. (although the laws of supply and
: demand, and economy of scale, may run the price up some)

: Do any of the cheap mail-order electronics places carry them?

: I'm considering installing them throughout my new house, for eventual home
: automation, interfacing, network, etc use.

: Chris

: P.S. The next question would be to ask where's a source of cheap 8
: conductor phone plugs!

You should really be posting this to the comp.dcom.cabling newsgroup.  You
might learn that this is what is being installed all over the place for
the ethernet 10BaseT or what is commonly known as "Cat 5 UTP".  The jacks
and plugs are available at just about any major electronics store, like
Fry's and Micro Center.  They have the crimp tools, and other stuff like
the Cat 5 rated cable and patch cords.  Jacks are in the $3 range, and
the crimp-on plugs are about $.25 in bags of 50.

: --
: ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
#==========H==A==P==P==Y=====H==O==L==I==D==A==Y==S==!==!===========#

|       Rancho Santiago Community College        | .deltanet.com    |

| My opinions are my own, and not my employer's. |    .cc.ca.us     |
|      "You can flame your brains out -- it won't take long."       |
|         I have gone out to look for myself..  If I should         |
|        return before I get back, hold me until I get here.        |
#======P=G=P==k=e=y==a=v=a=i=l=a=b=l=e==u=p=o=n==r=e=q=u=e=s=t======#

Post by a.. » Thu, 28 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>: Does anyone know of a source for 8 conductor phone jacks? Might I add
>: *reasonably priced*. Radio Shack has them, for around $8. I checked Lowes,
>: and they didn't have any. They did have AT&T brand 6 conductor, although
>: for around $6. I can't believe that they should cost much more than 4
>: conductor jacks, which run around $1.50. (although the laws of supply and
>: demand, and economy of scale, may run the price up some)

>: Do any of the cheap mail-order electronics places carry them?

Any telephone supply house has these.  Just specify whether you want keyed
or non-keyed jacks and plugs.

Source for 8 conductor phone jacks?

Post by Securit » Sun, 31 Dec 1995 04:00:00

The proper code for the connector is RJ-45
A standard jack is RJ 45 jack.
If you want a shorting bar in it for alarm applications, it is RJ-31-X

Post by KJes.. » Mon, 01 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>Does anyone know of a source for 8 conductor phone jacks? Might I add
>*reasonably priced*. Radio Shack has them, for around $8. I checked Lowes,
>and they didn't have any. They did have AT&T brand 6 conductor, although
>for around $6. I can't believe that they should cost much more than 4
>conductor jacks, which run around $1.50. (although the laws of supply and
>demand, and economy of scale, may run the price up some)
>Do any of the cheap mail-order electronics places carry them?
>I'm considering installing them throughout my new house, for eventual home
>automation, interfacing, network, etc use.
>Chris
>P.S. The next question would be to ask where's a source of cheap 8
>conductor phone plugs!
>--
>|Check out my WWW page at http://www.access.digex.net/~cps/ for scientific   |
>|software for the Mac, Free Radio, Shortwave Radio, and Spy Numbers Stations |
>|information.                                                                |

Look up telephone and/or cable suppliers in your yellow pages.  I deal
with a company in New York who sells whosale with no questions asked.
They carry everything you could possibly want.

Ken

Source for 8 conductor phone jacks?

Post by Bill Husl » Tue, 02 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Data Com WareHouse (1-800-328-2261) sells unshielded RJ45 (8 conductor) Cat
5 (ethernet and beyond) plugs for $1.50 (DC01450) or in 50 packs for
$69.95. At least that is what the November catalog says.
Bill

Post by Bob Hoffma » Thu, 04 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> >Does anyone know of a source for 8 conductor phone jacks? Might I add
> >*reasonably priced*. Radio Shack has them, for around $8. I checked Lowes,
> >and they didn't have any. They did have AT&T brand 6 conductor, although
> >for around $6. I can't believe that they should cost much more than 4
> >conductor jacks, which run around $1.50. (although the laws of supply and
> >demand, and economy of scale, may run the price up some)

> >Do any of the cheap mail-order electronics places carry them?

> >I'm considering installing them throughout my new house, for eventual home
> >automation, interfacing, network, etc use.

> >Chris

> >P.S. The next question would be to ask where's a source of cheap 8
> >conductor phone plugs!

Check out Digi-Key 1-800-344-4539, they have lots of this hardware and for
significantly less than Radio Shack.  You could also try Newark at
1-800-298-3133 or Allied at 1-800-433-5700.  These last two deal mainly with
volume buyers and businesses but, you might give them a call if Digi-Key
doesn't suit you (although I checked the Digi-Key catalog and they have what
you are asking about).

Bob Hoffmann
Hewlett Packard Disk Memory Division
Boise, Idaho

Post by Jerr » Sat, 06 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>The proper code for the connector is RJ-45
>A standard jack is RJ 45 jack.
>If you want a shorting bar in it for alarm applications, it is RJ-31-X

Check out:

http://www.smarthome.com/smarthome/index.html

Jerry

Post by quar » Wed, 10 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> Check out:
> http://www.smarthome.com/smarthome/index.html

Depending on where you live, there may be a Greybar (or similar)
location.  They carry phone stuff, and will sell to the general public.

--
!quare

Post by Philip and/or Carol Deck » Sun, 14 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>Subject: Re: Source for 8 conductor phone jacks?
>Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 22:43:58 GMT

>> Check out:
>> http://www.smarthome.com/smarthome/index.html
>Depending on where you live, there may be a Greybar (or similar)
>location.  They carry phone stuff, and will sell to the general public.

Last time I bought phone stuff (Viking VR-1A) I found Alltel (sp?)
had better price than both Anixter and Graybar.  You might also
consider giving Mike Sandman (Chicago) some business.

PJD

Source for 8 conductor phone jacks?

Post by Steve Spenc » Wed, 17 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Best source I know of is Simcona Electronics in Rochester NY
(800-2simcona) Ask for Joe O'donnell and tell him I sent you.
--
Steven P. Spence                        Trenton, NJ

1. Cabling: 2 conductor vs. 8 conductor.

Well, after months and months of careful planning and calculating, I
finally began to order and build my home automation and security system.
I will make no attempt in hiding the fact that I am fairly new to the
world of electronics, so this questions may seem pretty naive.  Most cable
distributors sell cable with 2, 4 or 8 conductor versions.  Ok, in what
scenario would someone need an 8 conductor type?

My setup includes a HomeVision unit, several motion detectors, CCD camera,
and several x10 controlled devices.  I am struggling with the physical
wiring of some of my devices.  I would like to hardwire the devices which
are on the perimeter of my home.  So all external motion sensors, magnetic
window/door switches, and camera are going to be hardwired.  All cabling
will come back to the security closet where it will be hooked into the
HomeVision controller.  SO...  (please bear with me)  The HomeVision
controller has 8 inputs.  First of all, I can run a 2 conductor cable
from each motion sensor to the security closet, correct (2 conductor is
the right choice, right?)? Now, does each hard-wired motion sensor need to
take up an input?  Or can all of the wires from the motion detectors be
somehow bundled, and then take up one input???  I know that this is a very
basic question, but it's these simple questions that are not well
documented.  Thanks for the information.  Also, can someone direct me to
some web resource which goes into these basic questions??  Seems like most
of the HA websites contain very advanced information, or just broad
descriptions of devices, but nothing dealing with basic wiring!  Thanks
again!!!
                        -David

2. PEP settings

3. Underground 4 conductor cable source?

4. Visioneers USB Problems with SiS Chipsets, any others?

5. What can you do with the phone jack in the Xbox?

6. Elite for PC Spec Em

7. "Wireless Phone Jacks" -- Are they any good?

8. Arcnet adapter for NT

9. Phone Jacks RJ45 to RJ11

10. Wireless Phone Jacks & Whole-Home Noise Block

11. Buyer beware- GE Wireless phone jack system

12. What Cat 5 wires to connect for phone jack

13. "Wireless" phone jacks and X10?