GE Homeminder Troubleshooting

Post by Andy Micon » Mon, 16 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I just unpacked an ancient and unused GE homeminder from a box and started
fooling around with it. It seemed to work ok for a few minutes, but now
simply keeps shutting on and off, with the message light blinking while it
intermittently beeps.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot?
Maybe just a bad internal NiCAD?
Will it recharge if I just leave it there to beep annoyingly for a few
hours?
How do you swap in a new NiCAD?
If unfixable, anybody want to buy it for parts? The video still seems to
work, and it doesn't seem that far from a working product when I can get it
to stop beeping for a few seconds.

-- Andy

GE Homeminder Troubleshooting

Post by Matt » Tue, 17 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Not sure why it would be shutting off and on, but it is probably not the
battery. The battery is not a NiCad, ie., it does not recharge. It is a
"five-year" type, that is soldered onto a circuit board. I replaced it on a
couple of these units. It took awhile to find a reasonably-priced source for
the batteries, and it was a pretty involved project to get everything apart
where one could desolder the old battery and solder in the new one.

I also had some video problems, and picked up a replacement video box for it
from someone who repairs them. I think I found his name from a Radio Shack
site, searching for "homeminder". He might be interested in the parts.

Matt.

> I just unpacked an ancient and unused GE homeminder from a box ...

1. Need old GE Homeminder

All you home automation old-timers must remember this one: the 1984
vintage General Electric Homeminder.  This was a stand-alone, programmable
X-10 controller with an IR remote and a video interface.  I now have a
special application and need to locate one desperately.  Any help is

2. Problems with Personl Tex Inc's ptips program ?

3. WTB: HomeMinder (GE/RS): programs X-10 with TV

4. PASCAL Training Materials??

5. Free: GE HomeMinder

6. 2nd Harddisk on ST Minix?

7. WTB: Original GE/RadioShack HomeMinder

8. Adding XML Schema

9. GE HomeMinder/RadioShack ???

10. FS: Original GE Homeminder

11. Replacement For GE Homeminder?