Sensor to transmit X10 codes when Telephone goes off-hook/on-hook

Sensor to transmit X10 codes when Telephone goes off-hook/on-hook

Post by Chip » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I would like to automate a light in a remote part of a building to turn on
when someone is on the phone on a given telephone line. I would also like
the light to turn off when the telephone goes back on hook.

Currently I am using a small application (16K) on a Windows PC which
initiates the ON/OFF from the PC but this requires the user to click on the
app to toggle the light. Sometimes people forget to click the app to
indicate that the line is in use. I am looking for a way to automate this
indicator.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Chip G

)
)Currently I am using a small application (16K) on a Windows PC which
)initiates the ON/OFF from the PC but this requires the user to click on the
)app to toggle the light. Sometimes people forget to click the app to
)indicate that the line is in use. I am looking for a way to automate this
)indicator.
)
)Any suggestions?

You can sense the off-hook condition yourself. There are two ways which
come to mind immediately. One is to use a parallel port, the other is
one of the control lines on a serial port. When a telephone is on-hook,
the line is at approximately -48V. When the telephone is off-hook, the
line voltage drops to about -6V or so. If you don't want to design your
own sensor for this, then use a Radio Shack device which turns on tape
recorders to do the sensing.

Mike
--
----
I don't speak for Alcatel      <- They make me say that.

Sensor to transmit X10 codes when Telephone goes off-hook/on-hook

Post by Mark Lloy » Fri, 14 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I have done this with a PowerFlash module and a resistor. Experiment
with the resistor value and connection polarity until you get is to
work. One polarity will give you a "phone line free" indicator (a
home automation controller can easily convert this to "phone line in
use"). The other polarity gives you a ring indicator.

On Fri, 07 Jul 2000 23:36:09 GMT, "Chip G"

>I would like to automate a light in a remote part of a building to turn on
>when someone is on the phone on a given telephone line. I would also like
>the light to turn off when the telephone goes back on hook.

>Currently I am using a small application (16K) on a Windows PC which
>initiates the ON/OFF from the PC but this requires the user to click on the
>app to toggle the light. Sometimes people forget to click the app to
>indicate that the line is in use. I am looking for a way to automate this
>indicator.

>Any suggestions?

>Thank you,
>Chip G

Mark Lloyd
http://nav.to/notstupid

Sensor to transmit X10 codes when Telephone goes off-hook/on-hook

Post by R.V.C. Tink » Fri, 14 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Mike Sandman, http://www.Sandman.com, has a device that connects
in-line with the phone line and provides a relay closure when the line
is in use.  This relay can be used to drive a powerflash.

In a release of HAL2000 due out in a few months, you will be able to
do it with that as well - the modem detects the phone off-hook and can
send X-10 signals.

The Sandman circuit is only around $15-$20 and is probably an easy
solution to implement.

Regards,

Rick

>)I would like to automate a light in a remote part of a building to turn on
>)when someone is on the phone on a given telephone line. I would also like
>)the light to turn off when the telephone goes back on hook.
>)
>)Currently I am using a small application (16K) on a Windows PC which
>)initiates the ON/OFF from the PC but this requires the user to click on the
>)app to toggle the light. Sometimes people forget to click the app to
>)indicate that the line is in use. I am looking for a way to automate this
>)indicator.
>)
>)Any suggestions?

>You can sense the off-hook condition yourself. There are two ways which
>come to mind immediately. One is to use a parallel port, the other is
>one of the control lines on a serial port. When a telephone is on-hook,
>the line is at approximately -48V. When the telephone is off-hook, the
>line voltage drops to about -6V or so. If you don't want to design your
>own sensor for this, then use a Radio Shack device which turns on tape
>recorders to do the sensing.

>Mike

1. Telephone on/off-hook switch?

I'd like to hook a device up to my home stereo to mute it every time
someone in the house picks up an extension, or the phone rings.

Ideally what I'd like is a device that sits on my phone line and closes
(or opens) a contact when the phone rings, or whenever any extension is
picked up.  When the phone stops ringing, or the phone is placed back on
the hook, the contact would reverse.

Is there such a device?

2. Printer Recommendation

3. Please lend advise about my modem - automatically goes off-hook

4. Windows messenger and video

5. Hooking up Motion Sensor to Computer..

6. Bocca 33.6 No dial tone ???

7. Driveway sensor: Do I need mfg controller to hook up to home automation system?

8. login calls quota

9. Microsoft Seemingly Off The Hook

10. Off-the-hook Live forum!

11. Off the HOOK forum for Xbox Live and Halo 2 and Project Gotham Racing 2 Screenshots!

12. Sense Phone Off hook?

13. Describe X10 and its components (Re: Can one hook a TW-523)