Home-Automation.org - official website of comp.home.automation?

Home-Automation.org - official website of comp.home.automation?

Post by Cymk1 » Tue, 01 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi.  It seems like a lot of questions asked in comp.home.automation are
answered by telling people to go to home-automation.org.  (Questions like where
to find software, what hardware does xyz, where are my choices for IR control,
etc).

I'm wondering if we can come to some kind of decision about making
home-automation.org kind of an official/unofficial website of
comp.home.automation?  What do you think?

Yes... I am directly associated with home-automation.org, so I can pull some
strings and get comp.home.automation put on home-automation.org in a highly
visible area, so it's a two-way street that ties together the web and newsgroup
home automation communities.

By the way, there are a lot of great home automation sites (HomeToys, TechHome,
X-Home, etc), but they all feature their own information.  Home-Automation.org
is different because it's nothing but links, so it isn't biased.  It just has
links to *everything* having to do with home automation (including HomeToys,
TechHome, and the other information sites).

Ok that's my proposal.  What do you think about this?

dave.

Home-Automation.org - official website of comp.home.automation?

Post by Brian Kar » Tue, 01 Feb 2000 04:00:00

IMO, an "Official" c.h.a website should have more than just links.  It
seems that in about 50% of the cases, we would end up directing
someone to a page that simply directs them elsewhere.  Why not cut-out
the middle-man in that case, and just provide the user a link
_directly_ to what they want?  I know this doesn't apply in all cases.

IMO, the homeautomationforum.com is shaping up to be more of the c.h.a
website.  It has FAQs, discussions (FTR, the discussions are nice, but
they tend to either duplicate c.h.a traffic, or else divert it, both
of which I view as a negative point), and links to other sites,
including the home-automation.org site.

It any site were to be truly an official c.h.a site (IMO), it would
have logs of the newsgroup, FAQs generated from common questions, and
a voting board for users to vote on vendors, hardware, and software so
that people new to the hobby could get a good idea of the good, the
bad, and the ugly :)

It should also feature some news and info (like AD: and PR: posts)
that are worth knowing about, but really don't belong as a newsgroup
post.

Basically, the official c.h.a site should have parts n' pieces of the
various sites that exist now, all merged into one site.

Quote:>Hi.  It seems like a lot of questions asked in comp.home.automation are
>answered by telling people to go to home-automation.org.  (Questions like where
>to find software, what hardware does xyz, where are my choices for IR control,
>etc).

>I'm wondering if we can come to some kind of decision about making
>home-automation.org kind of an official/unofficial website of
>comp.home.automation?  What do you think?

>Ok that's my proposal.  What do you think about this?

Remove the fish to send e-mail

Post by Dave Houst » Tue, 01 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>Hi.  It seems like a lot of questions asked in comp.home.automation are
>answered by telling people to go to home-automation.org.  (Questions like where
>to find software, what hardware does xyz, where are my choices for IR control,
>etc).

I haven't noticed anyone other than those associated with the site, telling
anyone to go there.

Quote:>I'm wondering if we can come to some kind of decision about making
>home-automation.org kind of an official/unofficial website of
>comp.home.automation?  What do you think?

I think I'd like to know who owns and controls the site and what their
intentions are. It was my impression they intended to release their own
commercial HA software.

Quote:>Yes... I am directly associated with home-automation.org, so I can pull some
>strings and get comp.home.automation put on home-automation.org in a highly
>visible area, so it's a two-way street that ties together the web and newsgroup
>home automation communities.

>By the way, there are a lot of great home automation sites (HomeToys, TechHome,
>X-Home, etc), but they all feature their own information.  Home-Automation.org
>is different because it's nothing but links, so it isn't biased.  It just has
>links to *everything* having to do with home automation (including HomeToys,
>TechHome, and the other information sites).

>Ok that's my proposal.  What do you think about this?

>dave.

---
Dave Houston
http://Commander-X.com

Home-Automation.org - official website of comp.home.automation?

Post by Jeff Beama » Tue, 01 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Well I personally would vouch for that, you seem to have an answer about
half the questions that appear here.

Jeff =)

Post by Robert L Bas » Wed, 02 Feb 2000 04:00:00

[...]

How about we build a true c.h.a. web-site?  There are more than enough capable
hands here to create and maintain it.  I would be willing to donate the file
space and bandwidth on one of my servers.  If some of the regulars want to
create a site specifically tailored to C.H.A., I'm willing to help.  Comments?

Regards,
Robert L Bass

==========================>
Bass Home Electronics
The Online DIY Alarm Store
http://www.Bass-Home.com
80 Bentwood Road
West Hartford, CT 06107
860-561-9542 voice
860-561-5210 fax

==========================>

[...]

: >
: >I'm wondering if we can come to some kind of decision about making
: >home-automation.org kind of an official/unofficial website of
: >comp.home.automation?  What do you think?
: >
: >Ok that's my proposal.  What do you think about this?
:
: --
: Check out the CPU-XA mailing list and tech-tips at FutureStandard.com
: Home Automation and DataComm FAQ's, equipment, and more available at:
http://www.FutureStandard.com
: Remove the fish to send e-mail

Home-Automation.org - official website of comp.home.automation?

Post by Robert L Bas » Wed, 02 Feb 2000 04:00:00

homeautomation.org is the Home Auomation Association's site.  They are a
manufacturers' and dealers' organization.  While their site has its good points,
it is still the arm of the comercial aspect of HA.  Since I'm an online vendor,
I have an interest in the HAA (I might even cough up the $500 annual fee this
year).  But if we want a site that is dedicated to this group it seems to me
that we should create our own site.  I've offered space and bandwidth on one of
my servers.  If we do something like this it would have to be non-comercial
though.  No ads (not even mine) and no banners.  Just FAQs, links and stuff.

Comments?

:
[...]
: ---
: Dave Houston
: http://Commander-X.com
:

Home-Automation.org - official website of comp.home.automation?

Post by Robert L Bas » Wed, 02 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Heh heh heh.  Are you saying my answers are half-right?  ;*)

: Well I personally would vouch for that, you seem to have an answer about
: half the questions that appear here.
:
: Jeff =)
:
:

: >
: > Hmm.  I was going to propose making www.Bass-Home.com the "unofficial" web
site
: > of comp.home.automation. <smile>
: >
: > Regards,
: > Robert L Bass
: >
: > ==========================>
: > Bass Home Electronics
: > The Online DIY Alarm Store
: > http://www.Bass-Home.com
: > 80 Bentwood Road
: > West Hartford, CT 06107
: > 860-561-9542 voice
: > 860-561-5210 fax

: > ==========================>
: >

: > : Hi.  It seems like a lot of questions asked in comp.home.automation are
: > : answered by telling people to go to home-automation.org.  (Questions like
: > where
: > : to find software, what hardware does xyz, where are my choices for IR
control,
: > : etc).
: > :
[...]

Post by Brian Kar » Wed, 02 Feb 2000 04:00:00

The problem is that in this day and age bandwidth and server space is
practically free.  Trying to corral enough cats to create and maintain
an official webpage would be a huge effort.

IMO, one of the existing sites will evolve to be the more-or-less
official c.h.a page.  My guess is that it will either be
homeautomationforum.com or hometoys.com.  The automation forum has the
discussion boards, but hometoys has a TON of other stuff, and they
seem to have a pretty good ear to the industry.  There are other HA
sites as well, and they too are putting forth an admirable effort,
including Mike Baptiste's FAQ-O-Matic site which could also easily
evolve into the be-all and end-all of home automation FAQs...

Then there are all the user pages that can never be duplicated.

Quote:>How about we build a true c.h.a. web-site?  There are more than enough capable
>hands here to create and maintain it.  I would be willing to donate the file
>space and bandwidth on one of my servers.  If some of the regulars want to
>create a site specifically tailored to C.H.A., I'm willing to help.  Comments?

Remove the fish to send e-mail

Home-Automation.org - official website of comp.home.automation?

Post by ND Lindse » Wed, 02 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Rick has something going o over at Home Automation Forum.
http://www.homeautomationforum.com/

Nathan

Post by Devlin El » Thu, 03 Feb 2000 04:00:00

while were on this type of subject is there a chat channel were you talk about
home automation etc.

Home-Automation.org - official website of comp.home.automation?

Post by windywiscon.. » Thu, 03 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I would be willing to put together such a site with your guy's input in
my spare time.  I enjoy doing graphics and web design, as well as Perl
programming.  Probably the one area I probably couldn't handle would be
providing archives of the newsgroup.
What do you think?

> IMO, an "Official" c.h.a website should have more than just links.  It
> seems that in about 50% of the cases, we would end up directing
> someone to a page that simply directs them elsewhere.  Why not cut-out
> the middle-man in that case, and just provide the user a link
> _directly_ to what they want?  I know this doesn't apply in all cases.

> IMO, the homeautomationforum.com is shaping up to be more of the c.h.a
> website.  It has FAQs, discussions (FTR, the discussions are nice, but
> they tend to either duplicate c.h.a traffic, or else divert it, both
> of which I view as a negative point), and links to other sites,
> including the home-automation.org site.

> It any site were to be truly an official c.h.a site (IMO), it would
> have logs of the newsgroup, FAQs generated from common questions, and
> a voting board for users to vote on vendors, hardware, and software so
> that people new to the hobby could get a good idea of the good, the
> bad, and the ugly :)

> It should also feature some news and info (like AD: and PR: posts)
> that are worth knowing about, but really don't belong as a newsgroup
> post.

> Basically, the official c.h.a site should have parts n' pieces of the
> various sites that exist now, all merged into one site.

> >Hi.  It seems like a lot of questions asked in comp.home.automation
are
> >answered by telling people to go to home-automation.org.  (Questions
like where
> >to find software, what hardware does xyz, where are my choices for
IR control,
> >etc).

> >I'm wondering if we can come to some kind of decision about making
> >home-automation.org kind of an official/unofficial website of
> >comp.home.automation?  What do you think?

> >Ok that's my proposal.  What do you think about this?

> --
> Home Automation and DataComm FAQ's, equipment, and more available at:

http://www.FutureStandard.com

Quote:> Remove the fish to send e-mail

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Home-Automation.org - official website of comp.home.automation?

Post by Cymk1 » Thu, 03 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>homeautomation.org is the Home Auomation Association's site.  They are a
>manufacturers' and dealers' organization.  While their site has its good
>points,
>it is still the arm of the comercial aspect of HA.  Since I'm an online
>vendor,
>I have an interest in the HAA (I might even cough up the $500 annual fee this
>year).  But if we want a site that is dedicated to this group it seems to me
>that we should create our own site.  I've offered space and bandwidth on one
>of
>my servers.  If we do something like this it would have to be non-comercial
>though.  No ads (not even mine) and no banners.  Just FAQs, links and stuff.

Actually, that's a different site.  The home automation links directory is
home-automation.org, and homeautomation.org is for the Home Automation
Association.  It's unfortuneate that the domain names are so similar, but
that's how it is these days with every imaginable domain name being used for
something.

Home-Automation.org - official website of comp.home.automation?

Post by Dennis » Fri, 04 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Rick, I think what you've done is great and you're attitude and
helpful nature is even better.  Keep it up.

Dennis T