Security Light problem

Post by Bill Wals » Tue, 01 May 2001 23:31:24

I have the X-10 type motion detector lights that will send commands to other
devices. I have them set up at my camp in the mountains of Pennsylvania. We
get a lot of temp power outages here and when that happens the lights stay
on sometimes. I have a TimeComander Plus installed but I don't use it to
issue any commands to these lights. I use the TimeComander for other
things(lights,heat,etc.). I have the lights set to stay on for three minutes
when they go on under normal conditions. To get around the problem of power
outages making the lights stay on, I was thinking of using the "refresh"
selection when defining each of my lights in the data base for all my X-10
devices. I have the refresh time set for ten minutes. This I think would
turn the lights off if they had been turned on by a power outage. I have
never used the "refresh" option before and would like to know if this would
work for me. Does anyone know if this will work? Anything else I'm missing?

Security Light problem

Post by Jim Fouc » Fri, 04 May 2001 07:59:12

Hi Bill,

If you don't get an answer here, you might want to subscribe to the JDS
list:

--
Cheers, Jim.

---------------
A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming is
not worth knowing.

Quote:> I have the X-10 type motion detector lights that will send commands to
other
> devices. I have them set up at my camp in the mountains of Pennsylvania.
We
> get a lot of temp power outages here and when that happens the lights stay
> on sometimes. I have a TimeComander Plus installed but I don't use it to
> issue any commands to these lights. I use the TimeComander for other
> things(lights,heat,etc.). I have the lights set to stay on for three
minutes
> when they go on under normal conditions. To get around the problem of
power
> outages making the lights stay on, I was thinking of using the "refresh"
> selection when defining each of my lights in the data base for all my X-10
> devices. I have the refresh time set for ten minutes. This I think would
> turn the lights off if they had been turned on by a power outage. I have
> never used the "refresh" option before and would like to know if this
would
> work for me. Does anyone know if this will work? Anything else I'm
missing?

1. Regent (Cooper Lighting) MS-550 Security Light with alarm

Does anyone have any technical information on the Regent (Cooper Lighting)
MS-550 Motion Detector Light with inside alarm? This is close to what X-10
sells, but is not X-10 compatible.

The issue is the MS-550 alarm is triggering every 30 minutes, whether the
motion detector light is powered or not. The time has shifted slightly (from
say 5 past the hour and half hour to say 15 past the hour and half hour),
but is quite regular. The only clues to where this is coming (my customer
has already shut everything down in the house) is that the power feed is an
underground loop, and the utility company just repaired a section of open
loop. Thus, we're assuming the interfering signal is coming beyond the loop
repair. A check with the utility (Duke Power) regarding any carrier-control
communications was met with a denial of any such use.

Cooper Lighting was very friendly, but refuses to pass along any technical
information regarding this device (they are claiming propriatary information
and won't release anything other than 47 CFR 15 compliance (unlicensed radio
frequency operations).

This is not a really large issue ... for about $25.00 over the cost of this
light, I can install an X-10 light with a remote receiver, and be done with
the problem ... but there is the challenge! I haven't put an oscilloscope on
the power line yet (the 30 minute off-time really demands a digital storage
scope that I don't yet have).

I'd appreciate any insight into the communications link (Cooper Lighting DID
confirm it was via the power line) that you might have available.

Regards,

Rick

2. local input

3. (UK)Light Switch & LV Halogen Lights Problem

4. Are there any 'fruity frank' fans out there?

5. Help on outdoor Security/Motion Detector Lights

6. WTB: Quantum Fireball 4.3G

7. Addressing security lights

8. USR problems?

9. HCA02-10E Killed my Security lights??? No Way!

10. X10 Security Lights w/ motion sensors

11. Honeywell Home Security Light Switch Module HSA-197

12. Security Lighting Automation

13. Help with Security lights (long)