Is it safe to dim Christmas string lights?

Is it safe to dim Christmas string lights?

yes

Post by Philip Edward Lewi » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 04:56:59

>yes

and no...

the ones that have a microcontroler that controls their flashing would
be bad to dim, while ones that just plug in and have no IC stuff
(straight resistive loads) should be fine.

--
be safe.
flip

Is it safe to dim Christmas string lights?

Post by Ryan Erickso » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 06:47:32

Quote:> the ones that have a microcontroler that controls their flashing would be
> bad to dim, while ones that just plug in and have no IC stuff (straight
> resistive loads) should be fine.

Also...

Be aware that some of those draw a lot more power than you would expect.
Check the wattage rating on the bulb set and ensure that you aren't
overloading your dimmer.

I wouldn't put more than 2-3 sets of 'icicle' lights on a standard plug-in
X-10
dimmer module.

Ryan

http://www.ericksonfamily.com

Post by Richard Malcolm-Smit » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 07:55:50

> yes

Unless it has built in electronics for chasing, fading etc, in which case the
little box starts smoking when you get below about 80%

1. strings of christmas lights

Hi,

Apologies in advance - this is probably a very simple question.
I'm trying to figure out how many strings I can put on an X-10
module.  Now, my string of 100 lights doesn't give a wattage rating,
but it does say 0.4A on the tag.  Its been a while since physics
class - is it safe to assume I can use the formula P=VI and
conclude the string of lights will use  120V * 0.4A = 48W ?
That way I could put up to 10 strings on a single 2-pin appliance
module rated at 500W ?   Is that right ?

Thanks,
Chris

2. Planet Robot Monsters

3. Need "Thank God It′s Christmas" (the best is MP3 format)

4. Getting Sun CD-ROM to work on PC and/or Mac

5. Automating Christmas Lights / PLUS 2003

6. A software or hardware problem?

7. Using Homeseer and Ivista on Christmas Lights

8. OS/2 will not boot after fixpack 10 installation

9. Automated Christmas lights

10. Safe to beam IR light?

11. Glow in LED Christmas lights

12. Christmas Tree Lights