Starting new home automation business, worried about X10

Starting new home automation business, worried about X10

Post by dmeal » Thu, 17 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I am starting a new home automation business and am considering X10 as the
choice for retrofit applications.  Continue to hear concerns/problems with
this technology.  Can anyone share experiences re their use of this
technology.

Thanks,

Dan

Starting new home automation business, worried about X10

Post by JSmar » Fri, 18 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Dan,

I believe that, from a marketing point of view, that you will need to
differentiate yourselves from the "me toos" and from something that you can
easily buy at radio shack or via mail order.  The problems with X-10 are
caused by the many, many variations of home house wiring configurations.
These variations cause control signals to be lost, or conducted to other
places, not intended.  Some installations work, and we here in the NG here
about the "lost souls" trying to figure out how to fix the mystery bug of
the day, just watch the Q&A,s.  There are a never ending list of signal
tracing tools (and skills) presented here. There are a never ending list of
filters, bridges , and bypasses also presented here.  Additional, mulit
vendors of the "same or similar" pieces of gear now exist. What a wise man
told me once is " This that are different... are no the same".  We recently
had a thread discussing different performance levels amongst the "same"
part numbered (or similar) system components.

If I were starting out in the HA market I would not rely on X-10 solely.
E-mail for details.

--
Marc Popek VP Engineering http://www.SmartSystemsintl.com

World's Smartest, Energy Saving, Automatic and Comfortable HVAC Controls
No Programming, No wiring, No royalty SSDN All premises open architecture
network

Quote:> I am starting a new home automation business and am considering X10 as
the
> choice for retrofit applications.  Continue to hear concerns/problems
with
> this technology.  Can anyone share experiences re their use of this
> technology.

> Thanks,

> Dan

1. Where should I start training for Home Automation Business?

Hello all,
I come from then Industrial Automation world and I thought running a Home
Automation Business would be a piece of cake. I didn't realize there where
so many standards and some many different kinds of devices made particularly
for the home. Regardless, I want to invest time and money on a business of
my own doing just this. I need help from the "pros" now.  I would like to
know which systems are recomended and why? Both for simple automation to
full automation of a house. What training I should undergo and with who? If
you don't want to help because I would be a competitor, I will be
concentrating in the NY area only. Any suggestions/oppinions will be greatly
appreciated.

Wil

2. Problem with an EIZO monitor with my A1200

3. Advice Needed: Starting Home Automation Consulting Business

4. Using NAT and PAT on a PIX

5. Starting a Home Automation Business in Ireland

6. Percent Utilization for 7000

7. Home automation business start up

8. SDS SingleStep and 68360

9. New to HOME Automation Business

10. Home Automation / entertainment business? How's business?

11. New to Home Automation Business