UPS problems with X10, how to resolve?

Post by jt » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 21:52:52

Having problems since I've gotten new UPS's. Have 2 that are 1000Watts and 2
that are 400Watts. Both are APC's. These seem to be stopping the X10 signals
or putting to much noise on the ac lines..

What is out there that can prevent these UPS's on stopping these X10 signals
or suppressing the noise?

Thanks,
jt

UPS problems with X10, how to resolve?

Post by William Allen Schee » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 08:37:13

It is most likely the case  that thay are generating a TON of line noise.
Buy filters, use 'em.

Quote:> Having problems since I've gotten new UPS's ...

UPS problems with X10, how to resolve?

Post by jt » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 15:31:33

Quote:> It is most likely the case  that thay are generating a TON of line noise.
> Buy filters, use 'em.

Ah, Em, what?

UPS problems with X10, how to resolve?

Post by Ian » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 23:53:16

Hello,
I would go with the ACT AF120 ( http://www.smarthomeusa.com/ProductGroups/default.asp?Category=Noise_... ) filter because the little X10 XPPF will not handle the 1000watt unit.

--
Best Regards,
Ian

888-843-9103

> Having problems since I've gotten new UPS's. Have 2 that are 1000Watts and 2
> that are 400Watts. Both are APC's. These seem to be stopping the X10 signals
> or putting to much noise on the ac lines..

> What is out there that can prevent these UPS's on stopping these X10 signals
> or suppressing the noise?

> Thanks,
> jt

UPS problems with X10, how to resolve?

Post by John » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 01:46:53

My APC Back-UPS 1000 is plugged into one of these and works fine with my X10:

AF100 120VAC, 5A plug-in filter module - 18.45  (at Worthington)

John

Quote:> Having problems since I've gotten new UPS's. Have 2 that are 1000Watts and 2
> that are 400Watts. Both are APC's. These seem to be stopping the X10 signals
> or putting to much noise on the ac lines..

> What is out there that can prevent these UPS's on stopping these X10 signals
> or suppressing the noise?

> Thanks,
> jt

1. weird X10 problem with new UPS

I've got a PCS light switch in the same room where I just installed a new
UPS on my computer. Now I'm seeing very strange behavior with this switch
which previously worked perfectly.

If I have the computer turned on, the PCS switch works fine, but if I have
the computer off (no load on the UPS), the PCS switch doesn't work at all
(no led flickering, no indication that it thinks anything at all is
happening).

Is the unloaded UPS acting like a X10 signal sponge or something? I'd expect
problems with lots of equipment turned on, not with most of it turned off :-).

Just to be clear: The UPS is not connected to any of the X10 stuff other
than being plugged into a wall outlet in the same room with the PCS switch.
Somehow there is just this weird side effect.

Any ideas how to fix this? Should I try turning up the sensitivity of
the PCS switch? (I'll have to dig up the manual to figure out how to
do that).
--

<URL:http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley> Free Software and Politics <<==+

2. Clip & Go available yet? (for OmniGo)

3. X10 signals and UPS filtering - interesting problem.

4. hotrate.com

5. Index BIG problem - Problem always NOT resolved

6. SSHd for WinNT (with SSHv1-support)?

7. Can a noisy UPS actually turn X10 lights on ???

8. Canadian Telecom Law

9. x10 signal not making it to ups panel.

10. UPS fails with X10 using same AC outlet.

11. Does X10 affect computer UPS or home-audio?

12. X10 compatible UPS

13. Could TrippLite UPS cause intermittent x10 operation?