Help finding windows that go opaque automatically

Help finding windows that go opaque automatically

Post by Dale Pixle » Sat, 09 Nov 2002 11:48:58

I was at a country club in Las Vegas recently and they were showing off
a wall of windows that automatically became opaque when a switch was
thrown. (not even sure if it goes opaque or clear when a charge is put
through it). The owners claimed it was a hideously expensive system (of
course!) but I was thinking that for a small area it may be accessible.
They would not tell me who makes or installs the system and I was hoping
someone here knew of a source. Hell I don't even know what technically
these windows are called.
Any help from my friends out there?

Help finding windows that go opaque automatically

Post by Murray Peterso » Sat, 09 Nov 2002 12:24:24

Quote:> I was at a country club in Las Vegas recently and they were showing off
> a wall of windows that automatically became opaque when a switch was
> thrown. (not even sure if it goes opaque or clear when a charge is put
> through it). The owners claimed it was a hideously expensive system (of
> course!) but I was thinking that for a small area it may be accessible.
> They would not tell me who makes or installs the system and I was hoping
> someone here knew of a source. Hell I don't even know what technically
> these windows are called.

The windows consist of an LCD panel sandwiched between two sheets of glass:
        www.media-vision.de/international/magic_wall.html

--
Murray Peterson

Help finding windows that go opaque automatically

Post by Brad » Sat, 09 Nov 2002 12:55:48

Marvin windows used to make these windows. Not sure if they still do.
And yes, they were very rich in price.

Quote:> I was at a country club in Las Vegas recently and they were showing off
> a wall of windows that automatically became opaque when a switch was
> thrown. (not even sure if it goes opaque or clear when a charge is put
> through it). The owners claimed it was a hideously expensive system (of
> course!) but I was thinking that for a small area it may be accessible.
> They would not tell me who makes or installs the system and I was hoping
> someone here knew of a source. Hell I don't even know what technically
> these windows are called.
> Any help from my friends out there?

Help finding windows that go opaque automatically

Post by Marc Guardian » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 04:45:10

I was told that they were about $3000 for a pane about 8 feet by 4 feet.

>>I was at a country club in Las Vegas recently and they were showing off
>>a wall of windows that automatically became opaque when a switch was
>>thrown. (not even sure if it goes opaque or clear when a charge is put
>>through it). The owners claimed it was a hideously expensive system (of
>>course!) but I was thinking that for a small area it may be accessible.
>>They would not tell me who makes or installs the system and I was hoping
>>someone here knew of a source. Hell I don't even know what technically
>>these windows are called.

> The windows consist of an LCD panel sandwiched between two sheets of glass:
>            www.media-vision.de/international/magic_wall.html

Help finding windows that go opaque automatically

Post by Murray Peterso » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 05:57:46

Quote:> I was told that they were about $3000 for a pane about 8 feet by 4 feet.

A also wonder if anyone makes internally heated version to handle extremely
cold outdoor temperatures without freezing the liquid crystals.

Post by Joh » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 04:13:25

> I was at a country club in Las Vegas recently and they were showing off
> a wall of windows that automatically became opaque when a switch was
> thrown. (not even sure if it goes opaque or clear when a charge is put
> through it). The owners claimed it was a hideously expensive system (of
> course!) but I was thinking that for a small area it may be accessible.
> They would not tell me who makes or installs the system and I was hoping
> someone here knew of a source. Hell I don't even know what technically
> these windows are called.
> Any help from my friends out there?

They are called electrochromatic windows - you can try a search for
that and see if you get any useful results.  Photochromatic also exist
and react by sensing light levels vs. electricity.

Help finding windows that go opaque automatically

Post by Dale Pixle » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 12:08:37

Thanks guys!
Now at least I have some leads on these. Anyone have any more specific info? US
distributors/dealers/installers?
Thanks again in advance. I knew this group would come through again.

P.S.
I just bought a Roomba (www.roombavac.com) robotic vacuum - anyone interested in
a review?

> I was told that they were about $3000 for a pane about 8 feet by 4 feet.

> >>I was at a country club in Las Vegas recently and they were showing off
> >>a wall of windows that automatically became opaque when a switch was
> >>thrown. (not even sure if it goes opaque or clear when a charge is put
> >>through it). The owners claimed it was a hideously expensive system (of
> >>course!) but I was thinking that for a small area it may be accessible.
> >>They would not tell me who makes or installs the system and I was hoping
> >>someone here knew of a source. Hell I don't even know what technically
> >>these windows are called.

> > The windows consist of an LCD panel sandwiched between two sheets of glass:
> >       www.media-vision.de/international/magic_wall.html

Help finding windows that go opaque automatically

Post by Murray Peterso » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 15:05:46

Quote:> Now at least I have some leads on these. Anyone have any more specific
> info? US distributors/dealers/installers?

You could try emailing the manufacturer.

Quote:> Thanks again in advance. I knew this group would come through again.

Nothing special, just a google search.

--
Murray Peterson

Help finding windows that go opaque automatically

Post by 1 » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 20:41:47

Quote:> P.S.
> I just bought a Roomba (www.roombavac.com) robotic vacuum - anyone interested in
> a review?