Wiring for PSC04 to Ademco 20P

Post by Ric » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 22:00:41

Anyone know the proper way to connect a PSC04 to a Vista20P?

The documentation for the PSC04 describes the RJ-11 pins to be:
pin 1- Zero crossing detect.
pin 2- Zero crossing common.
pin 3- X-10 common.
pin 4- X-10 input from OEM.

The Ademco Vista20P uses the following pins on the 8-pin connector to
connect to the X10 interface:
pin 4- GND
pin 6- Data
pin 7- COM
pin 8- SYNC

Hmmmm... anyone know the proper pin mapping?  By the way, the docs say
to use cable SA4120XM-1 to connect to a 4300, but I am connecting to a
PSC04 instead.  Anyhow, I don't know the pinouts for that cable
either, but that would be helpful I think.

Thanks, Rich

Wiring for PSC04 to Ademco 20P

Post by Bruce » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 03:56:56

FWIW, this is just a GUESS - I don't know if it's correct but it seems
like a logical starting point:

PSC04 >>Vista20P
    pin 1 >> pin 8 black
    pin 2 >> pin 7 purple\
    pin 3 >> pin 7 purple/
    pin 4 >> pin 6 blue

The cable that ships with the 4300 or 1321X10 is just a flat connector
with flying leads so there is no pinout other than the color code. Note
that the instructions only call for 6, 7 & 8 to be used for X10
signaling. Pin 4 is not connected. See figure 6 on page 2-4 of the
manual which can be found at:
 http://www.aesecurity.com/pdf/k5305-1_ii.pdf

Quote:> Anyone know the proper way to connect a PSC04 to a Vista20P?

> The documentation for the PSC04 describes the RJ-11 pins to be:
> pin 1- Zero crossing detect.
> pin 2- Zero crossing common.
> pin 3- X-10 common.
> pin 4- X-10 input from OEM.

> The Ademco Vista20P uses the following pins on the 8-pin connector to
> connect to the X10 interface:
> pin 4- GND
> pin 6- Data
> pin 7- COM
> pin 8- SYNC

> Hmmmm... anyone know the proper pin mapping?  By the way, the docs say
> to use cable SA4120XM-1 to connect to a 4300, but I am connecting to a
> PSC04 instead.  Anyhow, I don't know the pinouts for that cable
> either, but that would be helpful I think.

> Thanks, Rich

Wiring for PSC04 to Ademco 20P

Post by Ric » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 21:16:29

Bruce, Thanks for the information.

A friend and I found the Tech Note for the PSC04 and PSC05, which
shows the schematic diagram for both.   We came to the same conclusion
on the pinout as you did.  Actually, he did... as he the the EE and
I'm a CS guy.

I'll hook it up, and let you all know if it was successful.  I got the
whole weekend to read the programming manual.

Thanks for your help Bruce, and have a good 4th!
Rich

Quote:> FWIW, this is just a GUESS - I don't know if it's correct but it seems
> like a logical starting point:

> PSC04 >>Vista20P
>     pin 1 >> pin 8 black
>     pin 2 >> pin 7 purple\
>     pin 3 >> pin 7 purple/
>     pin 4 >> pin 6 blue

> The cable that ships with the 4300 or 1321X10 is just a flat connector
> with flying leads so there is no pinout other than the color code. Note
> that the instructions only call for 6, 7 & 8 to be used for X10
> signaling. Pin 4 is not connected. See figure 6 on page 2-4 of the
> manual which can be found at:
>  http://www.aesecurity.com/pdf/k5305-1_ii.pdf

Wiring for PSC04 to Ademco 20P

Rich - Did this work?

Post by Ric » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 08:03:11

> Rich - Did this work?

Unfortunately, I didn't buy a "2 line alpha display keypad" with my
initial installation....  and programming only works with such a pad
according to the Installation manual.

Unless someone knows how to get around this, I guess I need to buy one
of these keypads to set up the housecode, etc.

I currently have a 6150 keypad.
http://www.ademco.com/ademco/products/keypads/6150.htm

Once I get it programmed, I'll let you know how it works.  :)

rich

> > FWIW, this is just a GUESS - I don't know if it's correct but it seems
> > like a logical starting point:

> > PSC04 >>Vista20P
> >     pin 1 >> pin 8 black
> >     pin 2 >> pin 7 purple\
> >     pin 3 >> pin 7 purple/
> >     pin 4 >> pin 6 blue

1. Electrical wire versus speaker wire and other low voltage wiring

I hesitate to even ask this as I've poured through this and other newsgroups
and see that there has been significant discussion on this topic.  But I
swear I can't get to the bottom line.

Consensus seems to be that these wires should not be run next to each other.
Where this unavoidable, some separation should be maintained (I've seen I
think 6" to 18" quoted).  Where they must cross, try to do so at a 90 deg
angle.

The reasons for doing this seem to be a little more up for debate (again,
this is just my interpretation of what I'm reading).  For instance, with
audio, while in theory, it sounds like there could be some degradation of
sound quality as a result of proximity to HV wires, it sounds like it would
probably be so small that no one would really notice.

It sounds like there is also a safety concern (perhaps the bigger issue).  A
short or heat from the HV wire could damage equipment or people at the other
end of the LV wires.  Is this the bigger issue?

Is this in fact a code violation?  It seems clear that running these wires
in the same conduit is a violation.  What if there is no conduit involved?
What if they are just laying on top of each other running across the joists
in the attic?  What about going through the same hole in a stud?  Is that a
code violation and/or a safety hazard?

Here's the reality of my situation.  I'm having a house built and the
electrical wiring is in place.  The audio wiring (whole house distribution
with speaker wire and CAT5 home run to the media center) was completed late
last week.  No conduits involved at all.  There are a few places where the
speaker wire and CAT5 are running alongside the electrical wire, mostly up
in the attic.  There are many more places where they share the same hole
through a stud or joist.

Do I have a problem here?  If so, is this an issue of signal degradation, a
safety hazard, or a code violation?  Or any or all of the above?  I believe
that my house has already passed the electrical inspection, done prior to
the audio wiring being installed.  Not that passing the inspection is my
ultimate objective.  I don't want to do anything stupid or create some sort
of hazard.

Thanks for the feedback and forgive me if I should have been able to figure
this out from previous posts.

2. rj friedman and david sutherland are the new tholen and bowen!

3. PSC04/PSC05 vs PL-513/TW-523

4. Outlook woes

5. X10 PSC04 INTERFACE

6. Communication on a Falcon

7. Ad: PIC16F877-20P in stock in UK

8. WINIO / WINDOS ported to Win32s?

9. MSX 1 HB-20P on sale

10. termination in wiring closet for cat5 and speaker wire

11. Neutral wire in wall switch == ground wire???

12. Wired up EOLR for comments (was: Choice of EOL resistor for OmniPro pre-wire)