I'm looking for advice on the available options to visually record and
possibly remotely monitor activity within my home and adjacent property.
Here's my situation:
- I'm not concerned about "real" burglars. For those types, I have a dog
that is pretty aggressive towards those she does not know.
- Those who I do intend on monitoring are not the sharpest tools in the
shed, so I don't really have to worry about them exploiting weaknesses in
whatever I end up using (e.g. jamming or otherwise disarming wireless
- I currently have a Linear SSD wireless alarm system (window/door and PIR
sensors). FWIW, it is not centrally monitored due to false alarm and
response time issues.
- I'm currently running X-10 via an Ocelot and TW-523 power line interface.
Here are the minimum requirements for my system:
- The ability to simultaneously record at least two, preferably three,
locations for a predetermined amount of time when sensor/sensors are
- Low maintenance (e.g. I do not have to worry about making sure to rewind a
video tape every so often).
- Event storage needs to be robust (e.g. capable of automatically resetting
in the event of power loss).
- Date/time stamp for each event.
Some nice to haves:
- The system would send an e-mail to my pager advising me that an event,
such as a certain sensor has been tripped, was detected.
- The ability to remotely monitor activity, such as via a web browser.
Here are my priorities:
2. Cost (my target is <$500 but will consider more if the benefit is there)
3. Detectability by the casual observer
4. Ease of installation
Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance and Happy New Year,