Sybase FAQ: 16/16 - section 12

Post by Pablo Sanch » Thu, 02 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Archive-name: databases/sybase-faq/part16

                               Q12.1: SYBASE IQ

   Sybase IQ isn't meant as just an indexing scheme, per se. It is meant
   as a means of providing a low cost data warehousing solution for
   unplanned queries.

   By the way, Sybase IQ does not use bitmapped indexes, it uses bitwise
   indexes, which are quite different.

   In data warehousing MIS generally does not know what the queries are.
   That also means that the end users often don't know what the queries
   are. Not knowing what the queries are turning end users loose on a
   500GB operational database to perform huge queries could prove to be
   unacceptable (it may bring the system down a crawl). So, many
   customers are resorting to separating their operational databases
   (OLTP) and data warehousing databases. By providing this separation
   the operational database can continue about its business and the data
   warehouse users can issue blind queries without affecting the
   operational systems. Realize that operational systems may handle
   anywhere from hundreds to a few thousand users and, more likely than
   not, require data that is highly accurate. However, data warehouse
   users often don't require up to the second information and can often
   wait several hours, 24 hours or even days for the most current
   snapshot and generally don't require updates to be made to the data.

   So, Sybase IQ can be updated a few times a day, once a day or a few
   times a week. Realize that Sybase IQ is _strictly_ a data warehousing
   solution. It is not meant for OLTP systems.

   Sybase IQ can also sit on top of Sybase SQL Server:

    [end user]

    [Sybase IQ]
    [Sybase SQL Server]

   What happens in this environment is that a data warehouse user can
   connect to Sybase IQ. Sybase IQ will then take care of processing the
   query or forwarding the query to SQL Server if it determines that the
   access paths in SQL Server are faster. An example where SQL Server
   will be faster than Sybase IQ in queries is when SQL Server can
   perform query coverate with the indexes built in SQL Server.

   The obvious question is: why not index every column in SQL Server?
   Because it would be prohibitive to update any of the data. Hence,
   Sybase IQ, where all the columns are making use of the bitwise index
   scheme. By the way, you can choose which columns will be part of an IQ
   implementation. So, you may choose to have only 30% of your columns as
   part of your Sybase IQ implementation. Again, I can't stress enough
   that Sybase IQ is _strictly_ for data warehousing solutions, not OLTP
   solutions.

                            Q12.2: NET BOOK REVIEW

     * An Introduction to Database Systems
     * Sybase
     * Sybase Architecture and Administration
     * Developing Sybase Applications
     * Sybase Developer's Guide
     * Sybase DBA Survival Guide
     * Guide to SQL Server
     * Client/Server Development with Sybase
     * Physical Database Design for Sybase SQL Server
     * Sybase Performance Tuning

  An Introduction to Database Systems

   ISBN: 0-201-54329-X Published by Addison-Wesley. Volume I and II.

   This book is rightly regarded by many as the _Bible_ of Database
   Management Systems. Not a book that goes into detailed specifics of
   any particular implementation (although it draws many examples from
   DB2), this book covers the practical theory that underlies all
   relational systems as well as DBMS in general. It is written in an
   easy to read, approachable style, and gives plenty of practical
   examples.

   Covering all aspects, from straight forward issues (such as what is a
   relational database), to practical procedures (all forms of
   normalization are covered, and explained). SQL is briefly covered, in
   just the right amount of detail. The book includes detailed
   discussions of issues such as recovery, concurrency, security and
   integrity, and extensions to the original relational model. Current
   issues are dealt with in detail, such as client/server systems and the
   Object Oriented model(s). Literally hundreds of references are
   included for further reading.

   If you want a book to refer to when your curiousity gets the better of
   you, or when a user needs a better understanding of some important
   database concept, this is it. It strikes the right balance between
   theory and practice, and should be found on every database
   administrators book shelf.

  Sybase - McGoveran and Date

   ISBN: 0-201-55710-X Published by Addison-Wesley. 450 pages.

   I think that once, not too long ago, this used to be the only book on
   Sybase available. Now it seems to be totally out of print! It covered
   versions of Sybase SQL server up to 4.8. It covered a number of
   aspects of Sybase, including APT.

  Sybase Architecture and Administration - Kirkwood

   ISBN: 0-13-100330-5 Published by Ellis Horwood. 404 pages.

   This is a good book covering Sybase systems up to and including System
   10. It deals to a good depth the architecture and how most of the
   functions such as the optimiser work. It explains in a readable style
   how devices work, and how indexes are stored and manipulated.

  Developing Sybase Applications - Worden

   ISBN: 0-672-30700-6 Published by SAMS. ??? pages. (Inc CD.)

   This books seems very similar to number 4 to me and so I have not
   bought it. I have browsed through several times in the book shop, and
   decided that his other book covers a good deal of this. There are
   chapters on Visual Basic and Powerbuilder.

  Sybase Developer's Guide - Worden

   ISBN: 0-672-30467-8 Published by SAMS. 698 pages. (Inc disk.)

   This is a big book that does not, in my opinion, cover very much. In
   fact the disk that is included contains DBATools, and that seems to
   sum up the first 50% of the book. There is a fair amount of coverage
   of the general architecture and how to install Sybase. Transact SQL,
   cursors and stored procedures get a fair covering, as does using C/C++
   with DB-Library. (I can find no mention of CT-Library.) Unfortunately
   quite a lot of the book covers general issues which are not covered in
   sufficient depth to be useful, and just seem to be there to give the
   book bulk. Maybe as a developer's guide, his other book would be a
   better buy. This would probably be most useful to a small company
   implementing a Sybase database.

  Sybase DBA Survival Guide - Jeff Garbus, David Solomon, Brian Tretter

   ISBN: 0-672-30651-4 Published by SAMS. 506 pages. (Inc disk.)

   This book is good, and is a great help in a crisis. It includes lots
   of useful ideas and strategies for most (if not all) of the DBA tasks.
   It covers Sybase SQL Server on all platforms. It does not specifically
   cover any of the Microsoft versions, and certainly not version 6. It
   does cover System 10. It is very good at explaining the output from
   things like the DBCC commands. There is also a good section on what to
   look for in the errorlog. If you are a DBA and want to buy just one
   book, I would recommend this one since it covers just about everything
   you will need to know. This book is filled with little hints, tips and
   warnings which are _very_ useful. They have certainly saved my bacon
   on a number of occasions, and have even made me look a real star more
   than once.

  Guide to SQL Server - Aloke Nath

   ISBN: 0-201-62631-4 Published by Addison-Wesley. 567 pages.

   This book is solely about MS SQL Server, covering 4.2 for OS/2 and SQL
   Server NT. It is not bad, but does seem to regurgitate a lot from the
   Sybase [sic] manuals. Its coverage is fairly broad dealing with
   Transact SQL on the one hand through to client configuration on the
   other. It does cover the aspects of MS Sqlserver that are different
   from Sybase, (dbcc perfmon for instance) but it does not flag any as
   such. Probably a good buy if you only have MS Sqlserver and never
   intend looking at Sybase.

  Client/Server Development with Sybase - Alex Berson and George Anderson,

   ISBN: 0-07-005203-4 Published by McGraw-Hill. 743 pages.

   I have used this book as a reference when system manuals where not
   available. It is much more useful on how thing work and what approach
   to use rather than syntax.

   The breadth of topics pleased me - all the right jargon is mentioned.
   The introduction mentions CORBA and DCE. Sybase RPC is compared to
   UNIX RPCs. Middle ware products are discussed. Talks with our sales
   rep. about the OMNI and NetGateway product where greatly assisted by
   using the diagrams in the Open Server and Gateways chapter.

   Like any text, it is dated (as it is printed). The Netgateway diagram
   does not show a TCP/IP interface to MVS. However, the information
   provided is not really diminished. This goes back to the fact that
   this is a How Things Work and How to Use Things book, not a
   compilation of details on a single version.

  Physical Database Design for Sybase SQL - Rob Gillette, Dean Meunch, Jean
  Tabaka

   ISBN: 0-13-161523-8 Published by Prentice-Hall. 225 pages.

   Supposedly the first in a series from Sybase Professional Services,
   espousing the Sybase Development Framework or SDF (tm). I've seen no
   more books, and have never heard any more about SDF. This book is a
   reasonable attempt to guide developers through the process of turning
   a logical database design into a physical Sybase implementation.

   Topics include:
     * Defining Tables and Columns
     * Defining Keys
     * Identifying Critical Transactions
     * Adding Redundant Columns
     * Adding Derived Columns
     * Collapsing Tables
     * Splitting Tables
     * Handling Supertypes and Subtypes
     * Duplicating Parts of Tables
     * Adding Tables for derived Data
     * Handling Vector Data
     * Generating Sequence Numbers
     * Specifying Indexes
     * Maintaining Row Uniqueness
     * Handling Domain Restrictions
     * Handling Referential Integrity
     * Maintaining Derived and Redundant data
     * Handling Complex Integrity Constraints
     * Controlling Access to Data
     * Managing Object Sizes
     * Recommending Object Placement
     * Required Inputs to Physical DB Design
     * Naming Guidelines

   Covers System 10. Lots of good practical hints and guidelines on
   database design. In the absence of any competition - a definite
   recommendation for newcomers to Sybase database design.

  Sybase Performance Tuning - Shaibal Roy & Marc B. Sugiyama

   ISBN 0-13-442997-4 Published by Prentice Hall (www.prenhall.com). 622
   pages.

   Covers the topics:
     * Tuning for performance
     * Hardware and system software
     * Sybase productand feature overview
     * SQL Server - form and structure
     * SQL Server - methods and features
     * Physical database design
     * Application development
     * Monitoring SQL Server
     * Instrumenting SQL Code
     * Transaction processing performance
     * Query processing performance
     * Batch processing performance
     * Advanced topics - I/O subsystems, named caches and buffer pools
       and other enhancements
     * Also a load of extra configuration details.

   Just a quick note to let you know of a very good book on Performance
   Tuning that isn't mentioned in the Sybase FAQ. I bought it a little
   while ago and has quickly become invaluable. It's by two pretty gifted
   Sybase Engineers in the SQL Server Performance Team and covers loads
   of things up to and including System 11. It deserves to become as big
   as the bible :)

   This I believe is the Holy Grail of Sybase books that a lot of people
   have been looking for - an exaggerated claim perhaps - but a damn fine
   book.

                                                 Send mail to external-majord...@postofc.corp.sgi.com
                                                 With a body of:

                                                    subscribe sybase-tuning [optional e-mail address]

                          sp_sysmon and anything Or with a body of just:
 sybase-tuning majordomo  related to tuning your
                          SQL Server.               help
                                                 for a list of commands.

                                                 Once subscribed you may send mail to the sqsh-users
                                                 mailing list by addressing your mail to
                                                 sybase-tun...@postofc.corp.sgi.com"

                                                 Send mail to external-majord...@postofc.corp.sgi.com
                                                 With a body of:

                                                    subscribe sqsh-users [optional e-mail address]

                          Bugs/issues/complaints Or with a body of just:
 sqsh-users    majordomo  about sqsh - see
                          Q9.12.                    help
                                                 for a list of commands.

                                                 Once subscribed you may send mail to the sqsh-users
                                                 mailing list by addressing your mail to
                                                 sqsh-us...@postofc.corp.sgi.com"

Pablo Sanchez              | Ph # (650) 933.3812        Fax # (650) 933.2821
pa...@sgi.com              | Pg # (800) 930.5635  -or-  pabl...@pager.sgi.com
I am accountable for my actions.   http://reality.sgi.com/pablo [ /Sybase_FAQ ]