Apple II Csa2 FAQs: Main1-Start, Part 1/23

Apple II Csa2 FAQs: Main1-Start, Part 1/23

Post by rubyw.. » Tue, 03 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Archive-name: apple2/faq/part2
Posting-Frequency: monthly
Last-modified: 2000/10/1

The comp.sys.apple2 Usenet newsgroup Apple II FAQs originate from
the Ground Apple II archive, 1997-2000. Administrator: Steve Nelson

Csa2 FAQs-on-Ground ref: Csa21MAIN2.txt  rev031 1 October 2000

Main Hall-2: Vendors, Publications, and Contents

 001- Where can I get Apple II computers, parts, boards, software?
 002- Where can I get Apple II books and periodicals?
 003- How and where do I locate information in the FAQs?

001- Where can I get Apple II computers, parts, boards, and software?

All Electronics (800-826-5432; http://www.allelectronics.com/ ) major surplus and new parts seller- switches, LCD panels, connectors, transformers, caps, IIgs-type lithium batteries, etc.

AllBusiness.com ( http://allbusiness.firstsource.com/ ) sells 5.25" & 3.5" DD diskettes.

Alltech (760-724-2404; toll-free sales only 888-404-8848; http://allelec.com  accepts on-line orders) sells all kinds of replacement parts for Apple II's as well as the Focus Hard Card drives, CD-ROM drives, cables, memory boards, Chips, ... .

Apple Resource Center "The ARC" (800-753-0114; http://www.thearc.com ) sells Apple II computers and peripherals.

Grace Ashley (352-748-7739, http://users.southeast.net/~rakessel/index.html ) sells Apple II educational software and 'blank' 5.25" diskettes

Auction sites which handle Apple II items on the internet  http://www.ebay.com http://www.cityauction.com  http://www.boxlot.com  http://www.haggle.com

AV Systems ( http://members.xoom.com/AV_Systems/  email: 73170.3...@compuserve.com) game, education, utility software for Apple II computers

B&R Computer Services (619-225-8281; http://members.aol.com/rrbp/Home.html ) sells Apple II computers, peripherals, used II/IIgs games, and other software.

Big E Supply ( http://www.bigesupply.com/ ) sells 5.25" & 3.5" DD diskettes.

Stephen Buggie (505-863-2390) sells the famous Buggie Power Supplies, Buggie Drives, and does disk drive conversions.

Byte Works (505-898-8183; http://www.byteworks.org  email: mike...@aol.com) sells the respected Orca series of Apple II languages and support software including the new GS BASIC; also sells Apple II system software including GS System 6.0.1.

Catweasel ( http://members.tripod.com/~apd2/catweasl.htm ) makes and sells a disk drive controller intended for reading A2 diskettes on non-A2 drives.

Charlie's AppleSeeds (619-566-0387; 9081 Hadley Place, San Diego CA 92126-1523; http://hometown.aol.com/chucknewby/index.html  email: chuckne...@aol.com) sells Apple II hard disks and controllers, floppy drives, ... and ProSel, ProSel-16 documentation.

Comp.sys.apple2.marketplace is the Csa2 newsgroup for buying and selling Apple II hardware and software.

Creative Solutions (937-429-5759; http://members.aol.com/CreatSltn/index.html ) Apple II hardware, software, and repairs

DAR Systems International (305-529-3572; http://www.darsys.com/dsi.html ; Post Office Box 521598 Miami, FL  33152-1598; email: Eric A. Seiden ser...@pro-entropy.cbbs.cts.com) sells ProLine BBS software.

Digi-Key (800-344-4539; http://www.digikey.com) IC's and general parts supplier

DigiSoft Innovations ( http://www.hypermall.com/digisoft/digisoft/  email: Jim Maricondo at digis...@hypermall.com) developer of the Golden Orchard CD now distributed by Shareware Solutions II

Dirt-Cheap Drives (800-786-1160; http://www.dirtcheapdrives.com ) 2.5" IDE drives

Emerald City Sales (870-743-3872; http://www.ahhz.com) sells TrackStar boards and other A2 hardware.

F. E. Systems ( http://www.magnet.ch/emutech/index.html ) sells Bernie' IIgs emulator for Macs.

Albert Franklin (email: jfran...@mindspring.com) sells 5.25" DS/DD diskettes.

Gene Ehrich's On-Line Computer Garage Sale (email: g...@ehrich.com; http://www.voicenet.com/~generic/ ) sells Apple II (C-64, PC, etc.) hardware, software, manuals, and other items.

Grw Systems ( http://www.wilde.org/grwsystems/ ) offers Utility Works and Utility Launch shareware for IIgs.

Halted Specialties (800-442-5833; http://www.halted.com ) sells electronic parts- sockets, cables, plugs, caps, Parallax BASIC stamp, SCSI cables, ... good prices for 74xxx, 65xx, etc. IC's

Hudson's Hobby Games (P.O. Box 121503, Arlington, Texas, 76012; 817-461-0126; email: HudsonG...@aol.com) sells Old Apple II games in original boxes

IEC ( http://iec.net/MenuStat/CAppleOld.html ) sells Apple II joystick, printer, disk drive, modem, etc. cables.

InTrec Software (888-PROTERM; http://www.intrec.com ) sells ProTerm A2 and high-speed GS modem cable; the "InTrec Store" sells used II/IIgs computers, peripheral hardware, and software at good prices

Jameco (800-831-4242; http://www.jameco.com ) Apple II and general parts supplier

JDR Microdevices (800-538-5000; http://www.jdr.com ) Apple II and general parts supplier

Kitchen Sink Software (614-891-2111; http://www.kitchen-sink.com ) sells Awks-to-RichText software for Mac and Apple II software

KulaSoft (808-595-8131; http://www.angelfire.com/hi/kulasoft ) Eamon Adventures, Apple II magazine Indexes, software collections, tutorials, and books

Steven Lichter (Apple Elite II BBS 909-359-5338; email: ApplEli...@aol.com) offers GBBS/LLUCE support and software.

Lynxmotion (104 Partridge Road, Pekin, IL 61554-1403; 309-382-1816 http://www.lynxmotion.com ) sells Robot kits, Robot arms, servos, controllers, ... for PC but adaptable for Apple II

M.C. Howard Electronics (orders: 1-800-490-6896; http://www.mchoward.com/ ) sells memory chips, including 20-pin Zip package RAMs used on the GS-RAM III. (Note: When ordering be sure to confirm package style.)

MC Price Breakers (619-476-9839 ; http://www.mcpb.com ) sells memory boards, high-speed GS modem cables, and other Apple II hardware

MECI (800-344-6324; http://www.meci.com ) surplus electronic parts- fans, tubes, solenoids, IC sockets, 50-25 SCSI cables and adaptors, ...

Meritline.com ( http://store.yahoo.com/meritline/floppydisk.html ) sells 3.5" DD diskettes in bulk.

Michigan Computer Corporation ( http://www.michigan-computer-corp.com/ ;248-932-3470) sells Apple II and Mac equipment.

Mountain of Apple II Products ( http://appleiifs.tripod.com/main.html ) sells used Apple II boards, peripherals, software, and books via emailed bid.

Mouser Electronics (800-346-6873; http://www.mouser.com ) major IC and general parts supplier

MPJA/ Marlin P. Jones (800-652-6733; http://www.mpja.com) many power supplies, NULL modem, Parallax BASIC stamp, misc kits, LED displays, LCD panels, ...

My eSource (formerly Seven Hills; 850-575-0566; http://www.myesource.com/sevenhills/applesoftware/index.htm )  develops and sells IIgs software.

Newark Electronics (800-463-9275; http://www.newark.com ) major electronic parts supplier

Ninjaforce Entertainment ( http://www.ninjaforce.com) IIgs utility and game software

Parallax ( http://www.parallaxinc.com) makers of BASIC Stamp single-board computers and development tools (ref. robots and other external devices)

PICmicroWebRing ( http://www.webring.com/cgi-bin/webring?ring=picmicro;list ) PIC/BASIC Stamp vendors and information (ref. robots and other external devices)

Pre-Owned Electronics (800-274-5343) sells a variety of peripherals and accessories.

RC Systems (USA 425-355-3800; UK +44 1279 639471; http://www.rcsys.com/ ) sells Slotbuster multi-function (printer/ SSC serial/ Clock/ Text-to-Speech), TimeProPlus, and DoubleTalk cards for Apple II.

Seven Hills Software (see My eSource)

Shareware Solutions II ( http://users.foxvalley.net/~joko ) sells Convert 3200 plus games, boxed Old game originals, the Golden Orchard CD-ROM, and other wares.

SheppyWare ( http://www.sheppyware.net ) software by Eric Shepherd

SHH Systeme, Germany ( http://www.wbwip.com/shh/ ) sells Turbo IDE and other HD controller cards, Blue Disk, TWGS Accelerator upgrades, and repairs.

Shreve Systems (800-227-3971; http://www.shrevesystems.com ) sells II computers, peripherals, parts and accessories.

Sierra Circuit Design (503-614-0749; http://www.teleport.com/~scd/ ) sells 65xxx, PIC, and other 8/16 bit microprocessor VHDL, FPGS, and ASIC designs and circuit board designs

Software and More (916-725-0228; http://members.aol.com/SWMoreTP/AP.html ) sells Apple II hardware and software.

Spi Semiconductor (orders: 818-349-4495; http://www.spisemi.com/index.html ) sells memory IC's, including the 20-pin Zip package D424400V-80 used on the GS-RAM III. (Note: When ordering be sure to confirm package style.)

Sun Remarketing (800-821-3221; http://www.sunrem.com  accepts on-line orders) sells Apple II parts and peripherals.

Terence J. Boldt's Apple II Projects (email: app...@cgocable.net; http://www.cgocable.net/~apple2/romdrive.html ) sells bootable ROM Drive.

ThinkStuff ( http://www.thinkstuff.com/catalog/main.htm ) sells IIgs/Mac hi-speed modem and NULL modem cables.

Vernier Software (503-297-5317; http://www.vernier.com )  sells project books and components.

Wayne's Computer (315-689-7899; http://www.waynes.com/Business/WaynesComputer/default.htm ) sells Apple II computers, peripherals, and software.

Western Design Center (602-962-4545; http://www.wdesignc.com ) makes and sells 65C816 microprocessor used in IIgs and for accelerator upgrades.

William K. Bradford Co. (800-421-2009; http://www.wkbradford.com ) Apple II educational software

--Rubywand, David Chiu, Delfs, Jay, Bart, Frank Townsend, Paul Grammens

____________________________

002- Where can I get Apple II books and periodicals?

A2 2000 back issues in .sdk and .shk form ( ftp://tarnover.dyndns.org/Tarnover/Monthly.Publications/A2.2000/ )

A2Central.com is an on-line 'zine edited by Eric Shepherd ( http://www.a2central.com/ )

Apple Assembly Line back issues in .bxy form collected by Scott Alfter ( http://salfter.dyndns.org/aal/index.html ) and Paul Schlyter's .zip archive
( http://hotel04.ausys.se/pausch/apple2/dsk.html )

Apple ...

read more »

Apple II Csa2 FAQs: Main1-Start, Part 1/23

Post by rubyw.. » Tue, 03 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Archive-name: apple2/faq/part3
Posting-Frequency: monthly
Last-modified: 2000/10/1

The comp.sys.apple2 Usenet newsgroup Apple II FAQs originate from
the Ground Apple II archive, 1997-2000. Administrator: Steve Nelson

Csa2 FAQs-on-Ground ref: Csa2ACCEL.txt  rev031 1 October 2000

Accelerators

 001- What are the correct settings for a ZipGS?
 002- Why should Appletalk Delay be disabled with a ZipGS?
 003- How do I set up a Transwarp on my IIe?
 004- Is there a way of disabling Transwarp for games?
 005- What are specs & jumper settings for a vintage SpeeDemon?
 006- How does the SpeeDemon rate as an accelerator?
 007- My SpeeDemon accelerator board seems to run hot. A fix?
 008- How should the DIP switches be set on a v3.03 SpeeDemon?
 009- How can I get a 'Cache Hit' indicator for my ZipGS?
 010- How can I program the ZipGS registers?
 011- How can I set up a ProDOS sys file to turn my ZipGS OFF/ON?
 012- Is there some ZipGS mod that will improve performance?
 013- I have a 7MHz ZipGS. How fast can the board be pushed?
 014- What Oscillator freq corresponds to what upgrade speed?
 015- How do I experiment with different oscillator frequencies?
 016- How do I modify my ZipGS to accept the new "skinny" RAM chips?
 017- Is it really necessary to increase board voltage
 018- What kind of performance increase can I expect?
 019- How can I modify my ZipGS for more cache and more speed?
 020- Do I need new GALs to speed up my TransWarpGS?
 021- How does a TWGS cache upgrade compare with a speed upgrade?
 022- How can I upgrade my TWGS to 32k cache?
 023- How can I upgrade TWGS speed?
 024- What kind of RAMs do I need for a TWGS or ZipGS speedup?
 025- How can I tell the firmware version of my TWGS?
 026- For my TWGS, do I need the 2B GAL to use a SCSI interface card?
 027- Why are my ZipGS settings via the Zip CDA forgotten?
 028- What do the check-marks mean in the ZipGS CDA?
 029- Why don't my ZipGS settings match DIP switch settings!?
 030- I have a ZipGS. Sometimes my GS 'hangs' on power-up. Why?
 031- The speedup has led to system crashes. What's the problem?
 032- A new accelerator board has led to crashes. What's the problem?

From: Marc Sira

001- What are the correct settings for a ZipGSx? I've tinkered
     with "CPS Follow", "Counter Delay" and the like but have
     no idea what I'm actually doing.

CPS Follow should always be enabled. If you disable it you will have problems with Disk ]['s and System 6's AppleTalk driver and anything else that expects the Zip to slow down to 1 mhz when the GS is instructed to slow down to 1mhz. For instance, border text demos (like the FTA XMAS demo) won't work if you have this disabled. Expect weird things to happen if you play with this one.

Counter Delay I would recommend leaving enabled. This causes the Zip to "deaccelerate" (actually all it does is temporarily ignore that any data can be read from the cache instead of the motherboard) for about 5 milliseconds any time you read one of the Video Counters -- this is really only there so that one of the self-tests will pass. Which way you set it shouldn't be fatal.

AppleTalk or Interrupt Delay should always be disabled. The desktop will run much slower if you enable it. The only reason most people needed it was for AppleTalk under system 5, and I have an init on tybalt that fixes that. System 6 fixed the problem but requires CPS Follow to be enabled for the fix to work.

Speaker and Paddle delays are intended to let old 1-bit sounds and Paddle access work the way they do on an unaccelerated IIgs. I recommend leaving these on unless you feel like experimenting. They shouldn't be fatal but some program might react very negatively, so be prepared.

Bank C/D cache enable -- leave this at the default setting and forget about it. This tells the Zip if it's OK to cache bank-switched RAM (the old language card area). Zip's own docs say "there is no know software requiring this" but that it why it's there, in case somebody ever finds software that doesn't like it you can try setting it the other way.

------------------------

From: Rubywand

     The default SW1 settings (x) are ...

ON    x     x        x  m  m
OFF      x     x  x     m  m
      1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8

1- Cxxx/Dxxx Cache: ON= enabled.
2- Defeat Joystick delay: OFF= allow delay.
3- Defeat AppleTalk delay: ON= no delay for AppleTalk.
4- Counter Delay: OFF= no delay. Set ON to pass IIgs
   diagnostic self-test #05 ("Speed Test").
5- CPS Follow: OFF for floppy drives to work.
6- ZipGS enable: ON. Set OFF to allow powerup boot in
   slow mode.

7 & 8- Set these to installed Zip cache memory size:

ON  ON    8k
ON  OFF  16k
OFF ON   32k
OFF OFF  64k

     SW2 controls whether a Slot card is accessed at full speed (ON for SW2-<Slot#>) or "normal" speed (OFF for SW2-<Slot#>).

     The default SW2 settings (x) are ...

ON    x  *  x  x  x     x
OFF      x           x     x
      1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8

     On our Zip-GSx, *Slot 2 has a RamFAST SCSI interface and SW2-2 is set ON. Otherwise, the settings we use are the defaults shown.

     Most Slot cards seem to work fine without needing to do a slow-down. For example, we run a Focus Hard Card in Slot 7 and the RamFAST in Slot 2 (the Zip-GSx is in Slot 3).  Your Stereo Card does not care; and, when the MockingBoard is plugged into Slot 4, the setting remains at ON.

     Every once in a while, Slot 2 is used for testing telecom programs which need to use Slot 2 firmware and the Slots setting goes to "Modem Port" (from "Your Card" for the RamFAST). No change is made to the Zip-GSx settings-- SW2-2 remains ON-- and everything seems to work fine.

     Whether or not a particular card can work without a slow-down is something you can determine by experimentaton. This is easiest using the Zip CDA accessed via the Desk Accessories menu (OpenApple-Control-Escape).  The CDA settings are not permanent. Once you find the settings you like, you can turn OFF the computer and set the switches on the board to match the settings that work best.

____________________________

From: Todd P. Whitesel

002- Why should Appletalk Delay be disabled with a ZipGS?

Because it saps performance every time an interrupt occurs.

The Appletalk delay was originally called the "Interrupt Delay" but they renamed it at the last minute because somebody actually tried an 8/64 on an Appleshare network and it dropped packets like crazy.

With "Appletalk delay" on, every time an interrupt occurs your Zip will disable acceleration for 5 ms, just like it does with the paddles and the speaker and the others. This is a significant effect because with VBL interrupts going you have one every 16 ms, so your Zip spends nearly 1/3 of the time not accelerating you.

Why this "fixes" appletalk: in system 5 and earlier (including the ROM appletalk code), there are software timing loops which assume 2.8 mhz operation. As you speed the system up, it gets more and more likely to drop incoming packets because it thinks they are being sent too slowly to be correct, when in reality the appletalk code is timing out too fast.

Why the Appletalk delay is not a complete solution: a full-size Appletalk packet that you'd get from a file server takes about 14 ms to transmit. The Appletalk delay covers the first 1/3 of the packet, the VBL interrupt covers at most another third of the packet, but nothing is guaranteed to keep acceleration off for the whole packet. If you speed the Zip up more, say to 10/64, it starts dropping long packets no matter what.

This latter problem was why I originally wrote ZipTalk. It required a slot delay to be enabled (in, say, slot 6 or 7), and before each appletalk packet was received I tweaked that slot -- slot delays are 50 ms, so the Zip stays unaccelerated way past the end of the packet and everything works. (I also patched packet sending, to be safe.)

In system 6 Apple fixed things correctly in the appletalk drivers. I removed the code from ZipTalk and released what remained as ZipFix. As of 6.0.1, the cursor flicker problem was fixed by apple in the control panel, so now you only need ZipFix for the GS/OS SET_SYS_SPEED hook, which nobody seems to use.

______________________________

From: Jeff Brielmaier

003- How do I set up a Transwarp on my IIe?

Bank1: Sw 1-7 -> Change to OPEN if there is a memory card that uses the "Langauge Card bank switching technique". (Normally CLOSED)

Bank1: Sw 1-7 -> Change to OPEN if the plug in card must be accessed at 1 MHz (Normally CLOSED.  OPEN for Floppy diskette controllers)

Switch 8 on both Banks: Sets the power up speed of Transwarp

           Bank1   Bank2

3.6 MHz     OPEN    OPEN  <<Normal>>
1.7 MHz   CLOSED    OPEN
1   MHz     OPEN  CLOSED
1   MHz   CLOSED  CLOSED

----------------------

004- Is there a way of disabling Transwarp for games?

Press <Esc> at power-up will disable Transwarp completely until the next power off/on cycle.

A better way is to write a 01 to $C074.  This will slow Transwarp down to 1 MHz without disabling it completely.  Writing a 00 to $C074 will restore Transwarp to it's 'fast' speed.

____________________________

From: Rubywand

005- I recently bought an "M-c-T SpeeDemon" board. It's dated 1984
     and draws a small apple on the screen after power-up. What kind
     of cache RAM does it have? There's a place for jumpers near the
     top of the card. Is there a way to control this thing through
     software or hardware?

     Your card may be a slightly later model. (I've never noticed ours draw a hires apple on the screen-- darn it!)  Possibly, McT came out with a revision aimed at 128K IIe's.

     The RAMs on our vintage model SpeeDemon are 100ns 2048x8 9128's (for a total 8K of pretty speedy cache).

     I once asked McT about the jumper block you mention, they said the jumper is set at the factory to adjust on-card timing and to Leave It Alone. (On our card, the

read more »

Apple II Csa2 FAQs: Main1-Start, Part 1/23

Post by rubyw.. » Tue, 03 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Archive-name: apple2/faq/part5
Posting-Frequency: monthly
Last-modified: 2000/10/1

The comp.sys.apple2 Usenet newsgroup Apple II FAQs originate from
the Ground Apple II archive, 1997-2000. Administrator: Steve Nelson

Csa2 FAQs-on-Ground ref: Csa2CDROM.txt  rev031 1 October 2000

CD-ROM

 001- What do I need to get/do to use Music and Data CD's on my GS?
 002- What do I need discQuest for?
 003- How can I back up my files on write-able CD-ROM?
 004- Is a special driver needed for a Toshiba External 2X CD-ROM?
 005- How can I get sound from my Apple HSS card + CD300 CD-ROM?
 006- Where can I buy CD-ROM discs for the Apple II?
 007- Where can I find more info on CD-ROM drives, products, etc.?
 008- Where can I find out more about CD-ROM recording?

From: Rubywand, Jawaid Bazyar, Tony Diaz

001- What do I need to use regular CD Music Discs and access
     data discs (like the Golden Orchard CD) on my Apple IIgs?

     What you need is ...

1- RAMFast, Apple, or other SCSI interface card.  The Slot in which the card is located must be set to "Your Card" (e.g. via the Control Panel).

Note 1: Today, SCSI devices normally expect that a "termination voltage" will be supplied by the SCSI interface card. RamFAST does this; but, most other cards do not. If you have such a card and have a hard disk connected and working, then, there should be no problem-- either the hard disk is supplying the voltage or the card has been modified. Otherwise, be sure to obtain information on the needed modification. (For the Apple Hi-Speed SCSI card termination power mod, see the Hard Disk and SCSI FAQs in fil
e Csa2HDNSCSI.txt.)

Note 2: A version 1.01 ZipGS card needs to be upgraded to work with RamFAST.

2- External CD-ROM disc drive (like Pioneer DRM-600, NEC MultiSpin, etc.) which yuor SCSI card supports. For example, the Apple Hi-Speed SCSI card is known to work with the Apple CD-150, Apple CD-SC+, and Pioneer DRM-600. The RamFAST is known to work with many drives, including the Pioneer DRM-600, any NEC or Texel, and any "SCSI Standard" drive.

Note 1: Check to be sure that the SCSI device number of your CD-ROM drive does not conflict with the number for your hard disk, Zip Drive, etc.. Each device on the SCSI chain should have a different number, usually in the range 1-6. #6 is usually reserved for the device you wish to boot, such as a hard disk. (A drive's SCSI number is usually set via a switch on the back.)  SCSI number does not need to relate to position on the chain.

Note 2: The last device on the SCSI chain (i.e. the drive which is physically at the end of the chain) should have its Termination set to ON and Termination for other SCSI devices shoud be set to OFF. If your CD-ROM Drive is the only SCSI device, Termination should be ON. (Actually, a SCSI interface card may be able to handle two devices with Termination set to ON. However, you are likely to have problems if the last device on the chain has Termination set OFF.)

3- A SCSI cable. Common SCSI plug/socket sizes are 50-pin and 25-pin. Get a cable which matches your CD-ROM drive and the device you plan to plug into (i.e. a SCSI hard disk, Zip Drive, ..., or your SCSI interface card).

4- To hear music played from a CD, Stereo headphones, speakers, or hi-fi cables need to be plugged into the CD ROM drive. Most drives have a mini-Stereo socket in the front. To fit the socket, the plug for your headphones, etc. must be a Stereo plug.

5- A Driver file which matches your interface card. For RamFAST, it is Ramfast.Driver. For Apple SCSI cards it is SCSI.Manager and SCSICD.Driver. The Driver file(s) should be in the SYSTEM/DRIVERS/ folder (i.e. the DRIVERS folder in the SYSTEM folder).  To avoid conflicts, RamFAST users should remove SCSI.Manager, SCSICD.Driver, and other Apple "SCSI ..." drivers from the SYSTEM/DRIVERS/ folder.

6- In order to play standard Music CD's via your computer, you should have the following:

     o A Media Driver which matches your CD-ROM drive. For example, RF.NEC is a driver supplied with RamFAST which works with NEC drives. The Media Driver should be in the SYSTEM/DRIVERS/MEDIA.CONTROL/ folder.

     o A standard System 6 control panel file (i.e. a "CDEV") named "MediaControl". MediaControl should be in the SYSTEM/CDEVS/ folder

     o A standard System 6 media control New Desk Accessory file (i.e. an "NDA") named "MediaControl.DA". MediaControl.DA should be in the SYSTEM/DESK.ACCS/ folder.

7- In order to access files on data CD-ROM discs (like DigiSoft Innovation's Golden Orchard CD), the standard System 6 High Sierra file system translator file (HS.FST) should be in the SYSTEM/FSTS folder. This lets you read ISO 9660 format data CD-ROM discs. You should already have the ProDOS FST (PRO.FST) in the same folder. This lets you read ProDOS partitions which may be included along with ISO 9660 partitions on a data CD-ROM disc.

     Once the above items are checked, Shut Down your IIgs. Turn it OFF. Turn OFF the CD ROM drive. Wait 10-20 seconds. Turn ON the CD ROM Drive. Wait a few seconds and turn ON your IIgs. Boot System 6.01.

     Your SCSI card manual and/or information supplied by the CD-ROM drive seller is the best guide for doing any necessary setup chores.  If a SCSI hard disk or Zip Drive is already connected and working, it's likely that no special setup will be necessary.

Note: If the CD-ROM drive is the only SCSI device on the chain and you are using a RamFAST along with a ZipGS accelerator, be sure to run RAMFAST.SYSTEM after booting in order to change at least one setting. You want to click [O]ptions and set "TransWarpGS" to "NO".

Playing a Music CD

     Click on Control Panels in the Apple Menu. Select the Media Ctrl control panel. I have "1" for Media Channel, "RF.NEC" (the name of the driver) for Media Device, and "GAME PORT" for Port. After entering your settings, close the panel. This will save your setup in a file named "Media.Setup" in the same Media.Control folder which contains your media control driver.

     From the Apple Menu click on Media Controller to show the CD ROM player. Click Channel 1, the name of your CD ROM driver sould show in the player display. Insert a CD. Click Play and adjust the volume on the drive.

     Startup is the same as described above. It seems to be a good idea to have a data CD in the drive before turning ON the computer. Some drive + card combinations may not go on-line if no CD is present by the time you turn ON the computer. You can experiment to see what works for your particular system.

-----------------------------

From: Jason Kettinger

     I've got a Chinon CDA-435 1X speed  (150Kps) SCSI-1 CDROM hooked up to my IIgs using the Apple HS SCSI card, and it works great.  I don't have any encyclopedias, and CD-Audio disks do not get detected; but, the IIgs detects ISO/HFS CD removals and insertions fine without a reboot.

___________________________

From: Rubywand

002- I've heard of a package called 'discQuest' which is
     supposed to open the way to accessing all sorts of
     commercial CD's. But, if I can play CD music and load
     files from data CD's, what do I need discQuest for?

     Below is a condensed discQuest review. It should help clarify things.

DiscQUEST v1.2.2
 for 2MB IIgs from Sequential Systems
 CD ROM drive, interface, and System 6 or later required;
   hard disk and System 6.01 recommended

     There is a burgeoning library of CD-ROM releases. History of the World from Library Reference is a case in point. discPassage is a PC/Mac interface program which lets a user access text, pictures, and sound tracks on CD's which employ a discPassage database.

     Typically, dP products carry the digital data disc symbol and are labelled "for Mac or multi-media PC" with Mac and PC versions of discPassage included on-disc.

    "Whoa! My IIgs has a CD-ROM reader, SCSI interface, and all the standard System 6.01 drivers. It still can't do much with those disc CD's."

     Right. The basic IIgs setup CAN access data and programs on for-Apple II CD's. If you've added the appropriate Media NDA and Control Panel, your CD-ROM IIgs can also mimic a CD music disc player complete with all of the usual controls. Audio is output directly from the CD-ROM drive to headphones, a hi-fi amp, or a pair of amplified speakers.

    "Fine; but, how do I ask the Family Doctor a question, peruse an encyclopedia, and use other neat CD-ROM data disc products?"

     Actually, with HS.FST in your SYSTEM/FSTs folder, you can click the CD-ROM icon, display folders, and even load TEXT files from discPassage CD's. Your IIgs is 'compatible enough' with ISO 9660 even if some of the PC filetypes are unfamiliar. Still, this kind of access is hardly satisfactory. What you lack is the software key to unlock the discPassage database. Your IIgs cannot run PC or Mac versions of discPassage; but, it CAN run a for-GS database unlocker named "discQuest"!

      How do the systems match-up? Well, I tried out several CD's under discPassage on a 33MHz '486 PC and discQuest on a IIgs with 10Mhz/64K ZipGSx. On the PC you get to see an intro pic (which discQuest skips); and, in one case, a sound file which played fine with discPassage did not work under discQuest.

     As might be expected, pictures come in faster under discPassage because discQuest must often spend extra seconds processing each PC-format image. The larger the graphic and greater the number of colors, the bigger PC's advantage. Based upon samplings of several CD's, discQuest often needs about 15 seconds to load and display a pic that discPassage can handle in 3 seconds. Fortunately, you can reduce this delay by selecting Preferences and setting Color to "Gray-scale".

     Both setups handled sound files well, consistently starting playback in under 4 seconds. The big surprise of the face-off came when comparing

read more »

Apple II Csa2 FAQs: Main1-Start, Part 1/23

Post by rubyw.. » Tue, 03 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Archive-name: apple2/faq/part6
Posting-Frequency: monthly
Last-modified: 2000/10/1

The comp.sys.apple2 Usenet newsgroup Apple II FAQs originate from
the Ground Apple II archive, 1997-2000. Administrator: Steve Nelson

Csa2 FAQs-on-Ground ref: Csa2DOSMM.txt  rev031 1 October 2000

DOS & ProDOS

 001- What is a "DOS"?
 002- What DOS's are available on Apple II computers?
 003- Are there any faster better versions of DOS 3.3?
 004- What commands are available in DOS 3.3?
 005- How do I use DOS commands from the keyboard?  a program?
 006- How do I use variables in a DOS command?
 007- How do I create new DOS 3.3 diskettes?
 008- How much storage space is on a 5.25" diskette?
 009- Can I format a DOS 3.3 diskette for just data storage?
 010- What is the "Volume Table of Contents" or "VTOC"?
 011- Can I assign names to my DOS 3.3 diskettes?
 012- What does it mean to "Boot" a disk?
 013- What file types does DOS 3.3 have
 014- What do the entries in a DOS 3.3 Catalog display mean?
 015- Re. DOS 3.3 file names: How long? What characters are legal?
 016- How can I use DOS 3.3 to read/write sectors from machine code?
 017- How many 'official' versions of DOS 3.3 are there?
 018- How can I find out the address and size of a BLOADed file?
 019- What information is included in the VTOC and Catalog sectors?
 020- How does DOS 3.3 remember which sectors are used?
 021- What are the formats of DOS 3.3's main file types?
 022- How can I run DOS 3.3 programs from 3.5" disks and hard disk?
 023- How can I get DOS 3.3 from the net without an A2 tcom utility?
 024- What is ProDOS?
 025- What are ProDOS's major features?
 026- Which Apple II's can run which versions of ProDOS?
 027- How can I create bootable ProDOS diskettes?
 028- How do I make a ProDOS disk that will start BASIC?
 029- What is the maximum size of a ProDOS volume?
 030- How do I LOAD, SAVE, etc. files under ProDOS?
 031- What is a "pathname"?
 032- What is the default volume and folder when ProDOS boots?
 033- How can I set default volume and folder under ProDOS?
 034- How can I discover the name of the current default volume?
 035- How do I create a folder?
 036- How can I access ProDOS routines from machine language?
 037- How can I convert DOS 3.3 wares to run under ProDOS?
 038- How can I modify ProDOS to do BLOADs to Text Page 1?
 039- How can I boot ProDOS on my Franklin computer?
 040- What are some good DOS 3.3 and ProDOS references?

From: Rubywand

001- What is a "DOS"?

    "DOS" means "Disk Operating System". A DOS is a collection of machine language routines and data which lets a computer Read and Write information to/from disk. A DOS also includes commands, such as SAVE and LOAD, which you can use to create and access files on disk.

     Apple II DOS, Commodore 64 DOS, and the DOS used on PC's are all called "DOS"; but, they are different systems. Their commands are similar, sometimes identical, because what users want to do with disks is about the same whatever the computer. However, the way each DOS arranges and keeps track of data on disk is very different. You will not, for example, be able to read files from a C-64 diskette on your Apple II running under DOS 3.3.

--------------------

002- What DOS's are available on Apple II computers?

     DOS 3.3 is the first DOS to be widely used on Apple II computers. Many programs were written to use DOS 3.3 commands and saved on DOS 3.3 diskettes. Apple 'officially' replaced DOS 3.3 with ProDOS back in the early '80's. However, DOS 3.3 continues to be popular with II users.

     Another Apple II DOS is the one introduced with Apple Pascal. Compared to DOS 3.3 or ProDOS, the Apple Pascal DOS is a very limited, cumbersome operating system.

-------------------

003- DOS 3.3 seems kind of slow. Are there any faster
     better versions of DOS 3.3?

     Yes. Today, most "DOS 3.3 users" do not actually use DOS 3.3. Long ago, Beagle Bros introduced patches which resulted in much better speed, freed-up extra disk space, and added a CATALOG command which shows number of Free Sectors. Their ProntoDOS or some modification of it is, for practical purposes, the "current version" of DOS 3.3.

     ES DOS ][ adds a few mods to ProntoDOS. CATALOG shows Free Sectors and Number of Tracks and it scrolls the entire Catalog (scrolling stopped by pressing any key) instead of stopping when the screen is full. ES DOS ][ also lets you use the semi-colon as a terminating 'wildcard' character.

     Other popular, higher speed versions of DOS 3.3 include David DOS and Diversi-DOS; and, there are several small, special-purpose versions of DOS 3.3. For example, one game maker used RDOS to save space and to make its diskettes harder to copy.

-----------------------

004- What commands are available in DOS 3.3?

     To get very far with "DOS 3.3" you will need the DOS Manual. This is especially true when it comes to using TEXT files. Other good sources of DOS 3.3 info include _Beneath Apple DOS_ and _Apple II User's Guide_. For now, the following is a quickie guide to most Apple II DOS 3.3 commands:

LOAD NARF- loads a BASIC file named NARF.

SAVE NARF- saves current BASIC program in memory as file named NARF.

DELETE NARF - deletes file named NARF

CATALOG - lists contents of diskette to screen

RENAME NARF, NEWNARF - renames file NARF to NEWNARF

RUN NARF- loads and starts a BASIC file named NARF.

BLOAD NARF.PICTURE, A$2000 - loads in a binary file named NARF.PICTURE starting at address $2000.

note: $2000 is a hexadecimal number ($2000 = 8192 in decimal). DOS commands can use hex or decimal numbers.

BSAVE NARF, A$300, L$7F - saves $7F bytes of memory starting at address $300 as a binary file named NARF. (BSAVE NARF, A768, L127 uses decimal numbers to do the same thing.)

note: The above command statement illustrates typical DOS syntax ...

 BSAVE--  the DOS command

 NARF-- the file name (the space between the command and file name is not a requirement; BSAVENARF is okay)

 ,-- a comma to separate file name from parms which follow

 A-- means an Address follows

 $300-- the address in hex from which you want to start saving bytes (= 768). Again, spaces do not matter;  A768, A 768, A $ 300 are all okay

 ,-- a comma to separate one parm from another

 L-- means a Length follows

 $7F-- the length in hex (= 127); this is the number of bytes to be saved

 The command statement says Save $7F bytes, starting at address $300, to a file named "NARF". NARF will have the bytes found at addresses $300 through $37E.

note: The order of parms following a file name does not matter.

BRUN NARF.DISP, A$1000 - loads in a binary file named NARF.DISP starting at address $1000 and starts executing machine instructions at address $1000

LOCK NARF- locks file NARF (indicated by * in a CATALOG). LOCKed files cannot be deleted, over-written, etc.

UNLOCK NARF - cancels LOCKed status of NARF.

VERIFY NARF - uses checksums to verify that NARF is not a damaged file

MON C, I, O - tells DOS to display Commands, Inputs from disk, Outputs to disk. You can specify one, two, or all three (e.g. MON C, O  etc.).

NOMON C, I, O - cancels all MON requests. NOMON I cancels just the "I" request.

MAXFILES 7 - sets the number of file buffers to 7. (Upon booting DOS, the default for the MAXFILES value is 3.)

PR#1 - sets the destination for Apple outputs to the device in Slot 1 (usually a printer).  PR# 3 sets it to Slot 3, etc..  PR# 0 sets the destination back to the display screen.

PR#6 - normally, boots the diskette in Drive 1, Slot 6.

IN# 6 - sets the source for Apple inputs to the device in Slot 6.

IN# 0 - sets the source for Apple inputs to the keyboard (default).

INT - (integer) puts system into Integer BASIC if it is present.

FP - (floating point) puts system into standard Applesoft BASIC.

OPEN NARFOO - prepares to read or write a TEXT file named NARFOO.

READ NARFOO - tells DOS that INPUT and GET statements will obtain characters from a TEXT file named NARFOO.

WRITE NARFOO - tells DOS that PRINTed characters will go to a TEXT file named NARFOO.

CLOSE NARFOO - used to terminate access to a TEXT file named NARFOO. Just CLOSE terminates access to all OPENed TEXT files.

EXEC NARFGO - tells DOS to execute the BASIC and DOS commands found in a TEXT file named NARFGO

The above TEXT file commands handle 'normal' sequential TEXT files. DOS can also OPEN, READ, WRITE, ... random access TEXT files. (See DOS manual.)

Most DOS commands also let you specify Drive and/or Slot. For example CATALOG, D2  lists the contents of the diskette in Drive 2 to screen. SAVE NARF,S5,D2 saves NARF to Drive 2 in Slot 5.

NOTE --> Using Drive or Slot parms in a DOS command sets the default Drive or Slot. So, after CATALOG, D2, a plain LOAD or SAVE will access Drive 2.

--------------------

005- How do I use DOS commands from the keyboard? ... from a program?

     To use a DOS command from the keyboard, type it in. (A few commands can be issued only from a program.)  To use a DOS command in a program enclose it in quotes preceded by PRINT CHR$(4). For example:

100 PRINT CHR$(4) "BLOAD NARF, A$2000"

-------------------------

006- How do I use variables, say for file length, in a DOS command?

     Use variables in a command this way:

120 PRINT CHR$(4) "BSAVE NARF, A$2000, L"; NB

Line 120 says that the Length of NARF is the value of variable NB. NB is used here to represent the number of bytes (in decimal) to be saved.

--------------------------

007- How do I create new DOS 3.3 diskettes?

     One of the best features of DOS 3.3 is that any bootable DOS diskette can create other bootable diskettes.

INIT HELLO - formats one side of the diskette in the currently active drive, adds DOS, and saves the current program as HELLO.

     The program that's automatically placed on the new diskette is the one in memory when INIT is executed.  It is called the "greeting program" or "hello

read more »

Apple II Csa2 FAQs: Main1-Start, Part 1/23

Post by rubyw.. » Tue, 03 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Archive-name: apple2/faq/part7
Posting-Frequency: monthly
Last-modified: 2000/10/1

The comp.sys.apple2 Usenet newsgroup Apple II FAQs originate from
the Ground Apple II archive, 1997-2000. Administrator: Steve Nelson

Csa2 FAQs-on-Ground ref: Csa2DSKETTE.txt  rev031 1 October 2000

Diskettes

 001- How many tracks can I use on a 5.25" diskette?
 002- Can I use high-density 3.5" and 5.25" diskettes on my A2?
 003- How can I tell DD from HD diskettes if they are not labeled?
 004- Some old 5.25" disks with splotches don't boot. What gives?
 005- How can I defragment a diskette and what is the speed gain?
 006- Why aren't my old diskettes recognized by GS/OS?
 007- Can I read Apple II diskettes on my PC?
 008- Where the heck can I buy double density 3.5" & 5.25" diskettes?
 009- Where can I find out about different floppy disk formats?
 010- How can I copy disks?

From: Rubywand

001- How many tracks can I use on a 5.25" diskette? So far,
     I've heard 35, 36, and 40. What's the actual number?

     The standard number of tracks on a 5.25" diskette is set by DOS 3.3 and ProDOS at 35, numbered 0-34 ($00-$22 in hexadecimal).

     The original Disk ][ drive can usually handle 36 tracks with no problem. Newer 5.25" drives can handle 40 tracks.

     Various modified versions of DOS 3.3 allow using 36 tracks and a few allow using 40 tracks. These mods, especially the 36-track versions, were fairly popular before the advent of 3.5" diskettes when an extra track made a noticable difference in capacity. However, unless the extra capacity is vital for some specific application, it is best to stick with 35 tracks in order to retain full compatibility with disk utilities (such as Copy II Plus) and other wares.

----------------------------

002- Can I use high-density 3.5" and 5.25" diskettes on my Apple II?

     I did some magnetization tests on Double Density (800kB) and High Density (1.4MB) diskette surfaces. The tested DD surface produced more than twice the deflection of the tested HD surface. Clearly, there is a big difference in signal levels required to reliably store data on HD vs. DD.

     In fact, 5.25" HD (1.2MB) diskettes will not work at all on Apple Disk ][ drives. The 3.5" HD's may work fine on your 800k drives; or, they may just seem to work fine. Either way, there's no question: a drive optimized for DD will not be optimized for HD. If you'd rather not 'roll the dice' on your software collection, stick with Double Density diskettes.

----------------------------

003- How can I tell the difference between unlabeled DD and HD diskettes?

     3.5" HD (1.4MB) diskettes come with a square notch in the upper left corner. DD (800kB) 3.5" diskettes do not come with this notch. In the early days of PC computing, some PC users punched or drilled notch holes in DD diskettes and used them as HD diskettes. If a 3.5" diskette has a circular notch in the upper left corner, it is likely to be a DD diskette.

     DD 5.25" (360kB) diskettes look very much like HD 5.25" (1.2MB) diskettes. About the only remotely observable difference is that DD diskette surfaces often exhibit a more brownish cast whereas HD diskette surfaces are generally dark grey or black.

     The surest test for 5.25" diskettes is to place the diskette into an Apple II 5.25" drive and try to do a DOS 3.3 format. If it formats with no problem, it is almost certainly a DD diskette.

----------------------------

004- Recently I found that some of my old 5.25" disks would
     not boot. A check showed splotches etched on the surface
     of the media. What's going on?

     As you may recall, a number of the classier 5.25" diskette brands employed (still employ?) a lubricant on their jacket liners. While the lube worked to reduce drag and noise, it also, evidently, served as a growth medium for a particularly nasty plastic and/or oxide-eating fungus!

     It's probably a good idea to check each of your old diskettes. Immediately backup any diskettes with splotchy discolorations.

----------------------------

005- How can I defragment a diskette and what is the speed gain?

     You can defragment a diskette by doing a File Copy of all files to a blank diskette or blank RAM disk. Files on the copy diskette or RAM disk will be almost completely unfragmented. A whole-disk copy back to the original completes the process. Tests show that this method produces much speedier diskettes than using a utility intended for optimizing hard disks.

     For a nearly full 'workhorse' diskette which has seen may deletions and additions, you can expect the File Copy defragmentation method to yield a 30% to 40% improvement in access speed.

----------------------------

006- Why aren't my MECC and many other old diskettes recognized
     by GS/OS and mounted on the Finder display?

     The problem you mention is fairly common. GS/OS via its FSTs has pretty strict definitions for what qualifies as a valid DOS or ProDOS diskette. For example, perfectly good 36-track DOS 3.3 diskettes will not be mounted by the Finder just because the number of tracks is 36 instead of the expected 35.

     Naturally, copy-protected diskettes have practically no chance of being recognized. Almost certainly, this is the reason the Finder will not mount your MECC disks.

     You can, still, run software from most copy-protected diskettes by just booting them.

____________________________

From: Chris Norley

007- Can I read Apple II diskettes on my PC?

     A while back I requested some information regarding the reading of Apple II floppies by an PC. There was a hugh response both in solutions and requests for a summary of solutions.

ORIGINAL POST:

     We have some old data from a small NMR spectrometer that was run from an Apple IIe. The same spectrometer is now run from a DOS machine and we'd like to be able to access the old data from the PC.

     Does anyone know of or possess some utility to allow the data from the 5 1/4" Apple II floppies to be read from the PC? Any hints as to program names, ftp sites, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

SUMMARY OF RESPONSES:
--------------------

>From u...@izfm.uni-stuttgart.de

Les Ferch

It can't be done with software alone. There is a card called the MatchPoint PC card that will let you read and write Apple II DOS, ProDOS, and CP/M disks on a PC 5.25" 360K drive. We used to have one installed in an XT here and it worked fine.

The other common way of moving the data is to connect an Apple II to a PC using a null modem cable and using comm programs such as Kermit to transfer the data.

------------------

Curt Schroeder

It is not possible for a 5.25" PC floppy drive to read Apple II disks.  They use incompatible recording technologies.  Your options are to get your data into an Apple that can write MS-DOS 3.5" disks (Apple IIgs or Macintosh) or transfer via serial link (either via modem or null-modem cable).  The other possibility is to use an Apple II equipped with a PC Transporter and either has a 3.5" drive or 5.25" PC floppy drive(s) attached.

-------------------

Michael Hoffberg

About a year ago, I picked up card for my ibm made by TrackStar.  It is basically an apple II that sits inside your IBM.  When you enable it, it can boot off an apple drive, it uses the ibm keyboard and monitor.

When I go home I only use it to play moon patrol (I am too lazy to find my other games).

In any case, I think that it is possible to transfer files between the ibm and apple with the card.  I have never tried it though.

------------------

Fred R. Opperdoes

Any Apple II (E or GS) owner having an Applied Engineering PC Transporter card is able to do the job easily. It is maybe not easy to find such a person in your neighborhood. Another possibility would be that you ask someone with an Apple IIGS to have your 5 1/4" Dos 3.3 or Prodos disk transcribed to a 3.5" Prodos disk. Every IIGS owner would be able to do so. Files on such disks can then easily be converted to MsDOS files on an MsDOS disk on a Macintosh using the Apple File Exchange Utility that comes with
 every modern Mac.

-------------------

Leo Connolly

I don't think this is doable.  There are limitations in the PC drive hardware which make it impossible to read Apple II disks.  (And the same is true in reverse, for exactly the same reasons).

I suggest the following.

Transfer the Apple II data to a 3.5" disk.  This is easy on a IIGS if you use a utility such as Copy II Plus.

Use Apple File Convert on a Macintosh to convert the Apple II files to MS-DOS format.  Caution: older versions of this utility cannot handle MS-DOS 3.5" disks, but the newer ones can.

Or: send your data through a modem from the Apple to the PC.

------------------

Leonard Erickson

It can't be done without extra hardware. The Apple II didn't use a disk controller chip, it used an odd circuit instead. So, machines using the industry standard controller chips can't read Apple disks.

You'll need a COPYIIPC deluxe option board or some such. Central Point Software used to sell them.

Another approach is to track down one of the add-on boards that was essentially an Apple II on a PC card. It hooks to the 5.25" drive and plugs into the bus. And you've got an Apple II in your PC.

-----------------

t...@crash.cts.com

The cheapest method to get the data would to do a "NULL MODEM" transfer between the two computers.

____________________________

From: Rubywand

008- Where the heck can I buy the double density (DD) 5.25" and 3.5"
     diskettes required for my Apple II drives?

Albert Franklin (email: jfran...@mindspring.com) sells 5.25" DS/DD diskettes.

AllBusiness.com* ( http://allbusiness.firstsource.com/ ) sells 5.25" & 3.5" DD diskettes. Good selection but beware of screwy 'shipping weights' and errors in quantity pricing (e.g. 10 for $0.26 really means box of 10 at 26 cents each).

Grace Ashley (352-748-7739, ...

read more »

Apple II Csa2 FAQs: Main1-Start, Part 1/23

Post by rubyw.. » Tue, 03 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Archive-name: apple2/faq/part8
Posting-Frequency: monthly
Last-modified: 2000/10/1

The comp.sys.apple2 Usenet newsgroup Apple II FAQs originate from
the Ground Apple II archive, 1997-2000. Administrator: Steve Nelson

Csa2 FAQs-on-Ground ref: Csa2ERRLIST.txt  rev031 1 October 2000

Main Error List

 001- What does error #___ mean?
 002- What does IIgs Diagnostic Self-Test Error Code ___ mean?
 003- What does RamFAST Fatal Memory Fault Error ___ mean?
 004- What is the explanation for getting a ___  error?
 005- Where can I find more information on Apple II series errors?

From: Jeff Hurlburt (in II Alive, 1996 plus updates)

001- What does error #___ mean?

Error Codes

     Codes are in hexadecimal and are listed in numerical order. Except for a few IIgs System Failure codes, the system or sub-system reporting the error is shown along with the error description.

     Most IIgs tool set error 'descriptions'-- like divByZeroErr-- consist of just the error name as published in the Toolbox References. When such an error is reported, the first two digits identify the Tool Set; the last two identify the error# (sometimes this identifies the individual Tool involved in the error). The name and number of each Tool Set which reports errors is identified in the listing by labeling the first error in each Tool Set group.

     Many of the descriptions for 00xx codes refer to GS/OS errors. Usually, these codes have the same (or a very similar) meaning as ProDOS 16 (P16) codes, SmartPort codes, and 8-bit ProDOS 8 (P8) Machine Language Interface (MLI) codes. When there is a significant difference, other meanings are shown.

Note 1: Thanks to information supplied by David Empson several early System Failure Code messages (e.g. "File map destroyed") are now considered to be suspect as to accuracy. Yes, some kind of error has occurred; but, as David points out, the messages seem to have been incorrectly copied from Mac with no particular regard to relevance on the IIgs:

     For example, all the errors referring to "Can't load a package" make no sense - the IIgs doesn't have any such thing as a package (but early Macintosh system software does). Here is another big clue: error $30 is allegedly "Please insert disk (File Manager alert)".  There is no such thing as the "File Manager" on the IIgs, but there is on the Mac."-- David Empson

Basically, it appears that the faulty messages function as defaults (place holders) when more accurate third-party messages are not supplied. The suspect messages may appear; so, they remain in this listing; but, now they are marked.

Error messages marked ** indicate a System Failure message considered to be suspect.

Note 2: Error messages marked ****  indicate that a more detailed discussion is available in Question 004.

Error Codes List

0000 No error
0001 GS/OS: bad system call
0001 Tool Locator: dispatcher does not find toolset
0001 P16: System Failure- unclaimed interrupt
0001 P8: Invalid MLI function number
0002 Tool Locator: routine not found
0004 GS/OS: bad parameter count
0004 System Failure- division by zero **
0006 SmartPort: bus error in IWM chip
0007 GS/OS is busy
000A P16: System Failure- unusable Volume Control Block
000B P16: System Failure- unusable File Control Block
000C P16: System Failure- Block Zero allocated illegally
000D P16: System Failure- interrupt occurred while I/O shadowing off
0010 GS/OS: device not found
0010 Tool Locator: specified Version not found
0011 GS/OS: bad device number
0011 P16: System Failure- wrong OS version
0015 System Failure- Segment Loader error **
0017-0024 System Failure- Can't load a package **
0020 GS/OS: invalid driver request
0021 GS/OS: invalid driver control or status code
0022 GS/OS: bad call parameter
0023 GS/OS: character device not open
0024 GS/OS: character device already open
0025 GS/OS: interrupt table full
0025 System Failure- Out of Memory **
0026 GS/OS: resources not available
0026 System Failure- Segment Loader error **
0027 GS/OS: I/O error   ****
0027 System Failure- File map destroyed **
0028 GS/OS: no device connected
0028 System Failure- Stack overflow **
0029 GS/OS: driver is busy
002B GS/OS: disk write protected
002C GS/OS: invalid byte count
002D GS/OS: invalid block address
002E GS/OS: disk/volume switched
002F GS/OS: device offline or no disk in drive
0030 System Failure Alert- Please Insert Disk **
0040 GS/OS: bad pathname syntax
0042 GS/OS: max number of files already open
0042 P8: too many files open (can lead to NO BUFFERS AVAILABLE)
0043 GS/OS: bad file reference number
0044 GS/OS: directory not found
0045 GS/OS: volume not found
0046 GS/OS: file not found
0047 GS/OS: duplicate filename/pathname   ****
0048 GS/OS: disk/volume full   ****
0049 GS/OS: volume directory full   ****
004A GS/OS: incompatible file format
004A P8: incompatible ProDOS version
004B GS/OS: unsupported (or incorrect) storage type
004C GS/OS: End Of File encountered
004D GS/OS: position out of range
004D P8: position past End Of File
004E GS/OS: access not allowed
004F GS/OS: buffer too small
0050 GS/OS: file is already open
0051 GS/OS: directory damaged   ****
0051 P8: file count is bad
0052 GS/OS: unknown volume type
0053 GS/OS: parameter out of range
0054 GS/OS: out of memory
0055 P8: Volume Control Block table full
0056 P8: bad buffer address (can lead to NO BUFFERS AVAILABLE) ****
0057 GS/OS: duplicate volume name
0058 GS/OS: not a block device
0058 P8: bad volume bit map
0059 GS/OS: file level out of range
005A GS/OS: bad bitmap address (block# too large/ damaged disk) ****
005B GS/OS: invalid pathnames for ChangePath
005C GS/OS: not an executable file
005D GS/OS: Operating system/file system not available
005F GS/OS: too many applications on stack/ stack overflow
0060 GS/OS: data unavailable
0061 GS/OS: end of directory
0062 GS/OS: invalid FST call class
0063 GS/OS: file doesn't have a resource fork
0064 GS/OS: invalid FST ID
0065 GS/OS: invalid FST operation
0066 GS/OS: FST Caution- weird result
0067 GS/OS: device Name error/ internal error
0068 GS/OS: device List full
0069 GS/OS: supervisor List full
006A GS/OS: FST Error (generic)
0070 GS/OS: resource exists, cannot expand file
0071 GS/OS: cannot Add resource to this type file
0088 network error   ****
0100 System Failure- can not mount sys startup volume **

0103 [01] TOOL LOCATOR: invalid StartStop record
0104 tool cannot load
0110 specified minimum Version not found
0111 specified message not found
0112 no message numbers available
0113 message name too long
0120 request not accepted
0121 duplicate name
0122 invalid send request

0201 [02] MEMORY MANAGER: could not allocate memory  ****
0202 emptyErr
0203 notEmptyErr
0204 lockErr
0205 purgeErr
0206 handleErr
0207 idErr
0208 attrErr

0301 [03] MISCELLANEOUS TOOL SET: bad input parameter
0302 noDevParamErr
0303 taskInstlErr
0304 noSigTaskErr
0305 queueDmgdErr
0306 taskNtFdErr
0307 firmTaskErr
0308 hbQueueBadErr
0309 unCnctdDevErr
030B idTagNtAvlErr
034F mtBuffTooSmall
0381 invalidTag
0382 alreadyInQueue
0390 badTimeVerb
0391 badTimeData

0401 [04] QUICKDRAW II: QD II already initialized
0402 cannotReset
0403 notInitialized
0410 screenReserved
0411 badRect
0420 notEqualChunkiness
0430 rgnAlreadyOpen
0431 rgnNotOpen
0432 rgnScanOverflow
0433 rgnFull
0440 polyAlreadyOpen
0441 polyNotOpen
0442 polyTooBig
0450 badTableNum
0451 badColorNum
0452 badScanLine

0510 [05] DESK MANAGER: Desk Acessory not available
0511 notSysWindow
0520 deskBadSelector

0601 [06] EVENT MANAGER: EM startup already called
0602 emResetErr
0603 emNotActErr
0604 emBadEvtCodeErr
0605 emBadBttnNoErr
0606 emQSiz2LrgErr
0607 emNoMemQueueErr
0681 emBadEvtQErr
0682 emBadQHndlErr  ****

0810 [08] SOUND: no DOC or RAM found
0811 docAddrRngErr
0812 noSAppInitErr
0813 invalGenNumErr
0814 synthModeErr
0815 genBusyErr
0817 mstrIRQNotAssgnErr
0818 sndAlreadyStrtErr
08FF unclaimedSntIntErr- "UNCLAIMED SOUND INTERRUPT" ****

0910 [09] APPLE DESKTOP BUS: command not completed
0911 cantSync- "FATAL SYSTEM ERROR 0911"  ****
0982 adbBusy
0983 devNotAtAddr
0984 srqListFull

0B01 [11] INTEGER MATH: bad input parameter
0B02 imIllegalChar
0B03 imOverflow
0B04 imStrOverflow

0C01 [12] TEXT TOOL SET: illegal device type
0C02 badDevNum
0C03 badMode
0C04 unDefHW
0C05 lostDev
0C06 lostFile
0C07 badTitle
0C08 noRoom
0C09 noDevice
0C0B dupFile
0C0C notClosed
0C0D notOpen
0C0E badFormat
0C0F ringBuffOFlo
0C10 writeProtected
0C40 devErr

0E01 [14] WINDOW MANAGER: parm list first word is wrong size
0E02 allocateErr
0E03 taskMaskErr

0F01 [15] MENU MANAGER: menu started
0F02 menuItemNotFound
0F03 menuNoStruct
0F04 dupMenuID

1001 [16] CONTROL MANAGER: Window Manager not initialized
1002 cmNotInitialized
1003 noCtlInList
1004 noCtlError
1005 notExtendedCtlError
1006 noCtlTargetError
1007 notExtendedCtlError
1008 canNotBeTargetError
1009 noSuchIDError
100A tooFewParmsError
100B noCtlToBeTargetError
100C noFrontWindowError

1101 [17] LOADER: id not found / segment not found
1102 OMF version error   ****
1103 idPathnameErr
1104 idNotLoadFile (often: file incompatible with system) ****
1105 idBusyErr
1107 idFilVersErr
1108 idUserIDErr
1109 idSequenceErr
110A idBadRecordErr
110B idForeignSegErr

1210 [18] QUICKDRAW AUX: pic empty
1211 badRectSize
1212 destModeError
121F bad picture opcode
1221 badRect
1222 badMode
1230 badGetSysIconInput

1301 [19] PRINT MANAGER: driver not in DRIVERS folder  ****
1302 portNotOn
1303 noPrintRecord
1304 badLaserPrep
1305 badLPFile
1306 papConnNotOpen
1307 papReadWriteErr
1308 ptrConnFailed
1309 badLoadParam
130A callNotSupported
1321 startUpAlreadyMade

1401 [20] LINE EDIT: LE startup already called
1402 leResetErr
1403 leNotActiveErr
1404 leScrapErr

150A [21] DIALOG MANAGER: bad item type
150B newItemFailed
150C itemNotFound
150D notModalDialog

1610 [22] SCRAP MANAGER: scrap type does not exist

1701 [23] STANDARD FILE OPERATIONS: bad prompt description
1702 badOrigNameDesc
1704 ...

read more »