PPTP - connect a remote LAN, or only one node?

PPTP - connect a remote LAN, or only one node?

Post by Worth Robbin » Wed, 22 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I have been reading about point-to-point tunneling protocol, and I have a
question - if this is not the best newsgroup, please suggest alternative.

Can I connect a node on a remote LAN to a RAS Server at the central site,
establish the tunnel, and then access services on the central site LAN from
ALL nodes on the remote LAN, or only from the node from which the tunnel
connection is made? In other words, can the remote end of the tunnel
function as a router (I think that is the question, anyway, I hope someone
will understand the question AND have the answer!).

TIA,

Worth

PPTP - connect a remote LAN, or only one node?

Post by Dale Lars » Fri, 24 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

Quote:>I have been reading about point-to-point tunneling protocol, and I have a
>question - if this is not the best newsgroup, please suggest alternative.

Most of the discussion I've see about PPTP has been in:

        comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking

or on the Microsoft news server:

        news.microsoft.com

newsgroup:

        microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip

Quote:>Can I connect a node on a remote LAN to a RAS Server at the central site,
>establish the tunnel, and then access services on the central site LAN from
>ALL nodes on the remote LAN, or only from the node from which the tunnel
>connection is made? In other words, can the remote end of the tunnel
>function as a router (I think that is the question, anyway, I hope someone
>will understand the question AND have the answer!).

I'm not sure why you wouldn't just use RAS for this since it sounds
like you're dialing directly via phone to a computer on the other LAN.
PPP is in effect the tunnel.

PPTP is used to securely ride LAN traffic on top of a WAN's TCP/IP
protocols (usually the Internet). Kind of like a virtual wire.

Then again...I may have misinterpreted your question.

Dale Larson
Sterling Software

1. Connect remote LAN to Win2K server via PPTP/VPN

We have a Win2K server running remote access and routing, including
PPTP/VPN.  Our remote users connect individually on VPN using the
client included with Win2K.  We would like to set up a remote office
where its LAN has an "always on" VPN connection to the main server
(users would only need to get on the LAN without having to start their
own VPN connection).  Do any routers provide this type of function,
which can simply be dropped into place at the remote office?
Basically it would have to connect to the Win2K server, handle the
authentication and establish the PPTP tunnel. Examples I've seen to
connect a remote LAN use a VPN router at both ends set up with
IPSec, but if there is a solution with PPTP that has no or minimal
disturbance on our server side, that would certainly be our first choice.

2. video display is slightly off

3. netware connect - remote node vs. remote control?

4. Running NeXTStep on large IDE drives

5. Connecting a 3Com Remote 511 to Internet and remote LAN

6. sygate and cable modem

7. Clueless Questions: Remote access/LAN node, CAS fax

8. comp.protocols.ppp part4 of 8 of frequently wanted information

9. Remote LAN Node and TCPIP

10. view remote nodes on lan

11. how to connect remote synch node to ethernet?

12. NetWare Connect 2.0 problem with remote node

13. Netware Connect 2 Dial-In (Remote Node) - Why No Login F Drive ?