Motorola BitSURFER / BitSURFER Pro & 3COM Impact

Motorola BitSURFER / BitSURFER Pro & 3COM Impact

Post by Chris Na » Wed, 02 Aug 1995 04:00:00



: Can anyone in the know help explain the primary differences between these
: ISDN "modems" and where is the best place (mailorder or online prefferably)
: to purchase one.  I have found the BitSURFER at Insight for $379.  

: Any advice?

PC Connection has the BS for $349 but Insight will match their price. I
already talked to them.

chris

 
 
 

Motorola BitSURFER / BitSURFER Pro & 3COM Impact

Post by Chri » Thu, 03 Aug 1995 04:00:00


Can anyone in the know help explain the primary differences between these
ISDN "modems" and where is the best place (mailorder or online prefferably)
to purchase one.  I have found the BitSURFER at Insight for $379.  

Any advice?

--

______________________________________________ "Tiefer...Tiefer...irgendwo in
der Tiefe gibt es ein Licht."

 
 
 

Motorola BitSURFER / BitSURFER Pro & 3COM Impact

Post by Michael Ke » Thu, 03 Aug 1995 04:00:00




> : Can anyone in the know help explain the primary differences between these
> : ISDN "modems" and where is the best place (mailorder or online prefferably)
> : to purchase one.  I have found the BitSURFER at Insight for $379.  

Sure.
The 3com and bitsurfer are almost identical.  both have a single pots
jack, and both just announced upgrades to do 128k synched and MPP.

The bitsurfer pro has two pots jacks.

I was about to buy a bitsurfer, but I found a 3com for $300 flat.

Hope that helps

 
 
 

Motorola BitSURFER / BitSURFER Pro & 3COM Impact

Post by Gib Hen » Thu, 03 Aug 1995 04:00:00



[...snip...]

Quote:> I was about to buy a bitsurfer, but I found a 3com for $300 flat.

Where?!

Cheers!
--
Gib Henry

* Typing ability is 80% of computer literacy.
* Sorting is 80% of data processing.

In human terms, Einstein was wrong:  the universe as we once
knew it has imploded, and is rapidly becoming a small community.
We are next-door neighbors, you and I.

http://realpeople.com/~gibhenry

 
 
 

Motorola BitSURFER / BitSURFER Pro & 3COM Impact

Post by Lee Yaccari » Fri, 04 Aug 1995 04:00:00


Hi,
   I just ordered the BS .A friend who has Win 95 tells me that A:) It will not
run 32 bit B:) It doesn't do bondind, even though it states this on there
Motorola Home Page..Any Comments ??
Lee




>> : Can anyone in the know help explain the primary differences between these
>> : ISDN "modems" and where is the best place (mailorder or online
prefferably)
>> : to purchase one.  I have found the BitSURFER at Insight for $379.  

>Sure.
>The 3com and bitsurfer are almost identical.  both have a single pots
>jack, and both just announced upgrades to do 128k synched and MPP.

>The bitsurfer pro has two pots jacks.

>I was about to buy a bitsurfer, but I found a 3com for $300 flat.

>Hope that helps

 
 
 

Motorola BitSURFER / BitSURFER Pro & 3COM Impact

Post by John J. Mil » Fri, 04 Aug 1995 04:00:00


And ... how well does the 3com work ??
 
 
 

Motorola BitSURFER / BitSURFER Pro & 3COM Impact

Post by Chris Na » Fri, 04 Aug 1995 04:00:00


: Can anyone in the know help explain the primary differences between these
: ISDN "modems" and where is the best place (mailorder or online prefferably)
: to purchase one.  I have found the BitSURFER at Insight for $379.  

PC Connection (800-800-1111) has the BS for $349, but Insight will match
that price if you ask.

chris

 
 
 

Motorola BitSURFER / BitSURFER Pro & 3COM Impact

Post by Les Fre » Fri, 04 Aug 1995 04:00:00



>Hi,
>   I just ordered the BS .A friend who has Win 95 tells me that A:) It will not
>run 32 bit B:) It doesn't do bondind, even though it states this on there
>Motorola Home Page..Any Comments ??
>Lee

I have a BitSURFR and am using it with Windows 95. I don't know about
B-channel bonding (haven't tried it yet), but it works quite well with
Win95's dial-up networking. All I did was plug it in and let the Plug
& Play stuff do its thing. Win95 installed the drivers -- I plugged in
my account name, password, and service provider's phone number and I
was on the air.

I'm connected via the BitSURFR as I write this, through PSI's ISDN
internet service. Works very well, except for some occasional
sluggishness on the news servers -- but that's PSI's fault, not
Motorola's.

--Les

 
 
 

Motorola BitSURFER / BitSURFER Pro & 3COM Impact

Post by Lenza McElra » Sat, 05 Aug 1995 04:00:00



>I was about to buy a bitsurfer, but I found a 3com for $300 flat.

I too would like to know where I could get a 3com (or any similar TA)
for $300.  Please let me know where you got this great deal from!

-Lemza

 
 
 

Motorola BitSURFER / BitSURFER Pro & 3COM Impact

Post by Rocco A. Cassa » Sat, 05 Aug 1995 04:00:00




Quote:>And ... how well does the 3com work ??

Works like a charm.  If you can wait a couple of weeks, 3Com will introduce
two new Impact models that will support multilink PPP (simultaneous data
transfer on both B channels).  One will have an on-board analog modem.  I
would think that the price on the current model (no MLPPP support) will drop
as a result.  Owners of the current model can upgrade their device (to
support MLPPP) for around $130.00.  The upgrade won't be avail. for a few
weeks though.

Rocco

 
 
 

Motorola BitSURFER / BitSURFER Pro & 3COM Impact

Post by Alan Z. Scha » Mon, 07 Aug 1995 04:00:00


Quote:>I have a BitSURFR and am using it with Windows 95. I don't know about
>B-channel bonding (haven't tried it yet), but it works quite well with
>Win95's dial-up networking. All I did was plug it in and let the Plug
>& Play stuff do its thing. Win95 installed the drivers -- I plugged in
>my account name, password, and service provider's phone number and I
>was on the air.
>I'm connected via the BitSURFR as I write this, through PSI's ISDN
>internet service. Works very well, except for some occasional
>sluggishness on the news servers -- but that's PSI's fault, not
>Motorola's.

What did PSI and your phone co. charge for ISDN setup?  Does PSI's
$29/mo cover ISDN or is that extra?

Did you find a way within Win95 to script your iserid and password for
dialup.  I'm using a shareware program called RoboDUN with W95 for
that, but is there a better way?

Thanks.

Alan

Alan Z. Scharf
GrapeVine Systems
New York City

 
 
 

Motorola BitSURFER / BitSURFER Pro & 3COM Impact

Post by Jim Altm » Mon, 07 Aug 1995 04:00:00



Quote:>Did you find a way within Win95 to script your iserid and password for
>dialup.  I'm using a shareware program called RoboDUN with W95 for
>that, but is there a better way?

MS had its own scripting tool up for a while, it was toward the end of the
beta,  I think it was called SCRIPT, but I can't find the original zip file in
my system.  It works fine, although robodum also worked fine for me.

I don't see it on my release disk, nor on my Plus! disk....

--
Jim Altman              non illegitimus carborundum

 
 
 

Motorola BitSURFER / BitSURFER Pro & 3COM Impact

Post by Les Fre » Tue, 08 Aug 1995 04:00:00



Quote:>What did PSI and your phone co. charge for ISDN setup?  Does PSI's
>$29/mo cover ISDN or is that extra?
>Did you find a way within Win95 to script your iserid and password for
>dialup.  I'm using a shareware program called RoboDUN with W95 for
>that, but is there a better way?

My local phone co. (GTE Tampa) charges about $45/month for the line.
PSI's $29/month entitles you to use either the ISDN or the modem
dial-ups, so I can still use the modem dialups when I'm on the road
with my laptop.

I didn't realize this until I tried it, but the Win95 dial-up
networking appears to support PAP, which is what PSI's ISDN dialups
use to confirm your userid and password. In other words, no login
script is necessary,

Hope this helps...

--Les

 
 
 

Motorola BitSURFER / BitSURFER Pro & 3COM Impact

Post by Gordon Hels » Thu, 10 Aug 1995 04:00:00


The PAP solution sounds good, but fyi, there is a beta
Win95 dialer for Interramp, under software on www.interramp.com.  I
have installed it on Win95 and it works fine.  I am not using ISDN
yet, but have ordered it.
Regards,
Gordon
 
 
 

Motorola BitSURFER / BitSURFER Pro & 3COM Impact

Post by Robert Linco » Fri, 11 Aug 1995 04:00:00



>I didn't realize this until I tried it, but the Win95 dial-up
>networking appears to support PAP, which is what PSI's ISDN dialups
>use to confirm your userid and password. In other words, no login
>script is necessary,

Ah, but does that mean that you've set up Win95 with the same usrname
and pwd as you have for your PSI account?  in getting the MS RAS
clients (both WfW and W95) to work with the NT RAS using CHAP I had to
have the client name/pwd the same as the NT login. [of course, this
was over analogue, not ISDN lines]

maybe this will illuminate.

best,

--
Robert Lincoln, Assistant Professor
Michigan State University, Urban & Regional Planning