Why??? Bitsurfer Pro vs USR 128k

Post by Joe » Tue, 31 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Can someone please explain to me why I should spend an extra $100 to
buy the Motorola rather than a USR 128? PLEASE.  I was all set to buy
the Motorola until I did some research (God, I love the net) and saw
that it doesn't do compression and bottlenecks on your com port.  The
USR doesn't bottleneck AND has compression (max flow of something like
500k and switches to however it is compressed automatically).  Am I
missing something here??, why the hell should I but the Motorola now.
Unless I am going to sell it (external vs. internal) or need the extra
analog port (can't see why).  Unless someone knows something about
either of these I am missing, I'm a USR guy.  Is support or install or
SOMETHING that much easier/harder for one?

My line should be ready in a couple weeks and boy am I ready, 28.8
SUCKS.  I have a laptop (desktop on order), the modem slowly stops at
around 10Mb, and decides it is through for a few hours.  Do you have
any idea how FRUSTRATING that is.  Sorry started ranting there for a
second.

BTW, my ISDN is $50 a month-unlimited, $50 setup and $85/hour of
inside work ($17 after the 1st hr).  Is that high, low, avg?  It is
through GTE in Dallas, so if anybody knwos please tell.

Any help/info is greatly appreciated

Why??? Bitsurfer Pro vs USR 128k

Quote:> Can someone please explain to me why I should Buy a cisco be happy

Post by (Unlisted) - No Really.. » Sat, 04 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> Can someone please explain to me why I should spend an extra $100 to
> buy the Motorola rather than a USR 128? PLEASE.  I was all set to buy
> the Motorola until I did some research (God, I love the net) and saw
> that it doesn't do compression and bottlenecks on your com port.  The
> USR doesn't bottleneck AND has compression (max flow of something like
> 500k and switches to however it is compressed automatically).  Am I
> missing something here??, why the hell should I but the Motorola now.
> Unless I am going to sell it (external vs. internal) or need the extra
> analog port (can't see why).  Unless someone knows something about
> either of these I am missing, I'm a USR guy.  Is support or install or
> SOMETHING that much easier/harder for one?

> My line should be ready in a couple weeks and boy am I ready, 28.8
> SUCKS.  I have a laptop (desktop on order), the modem slowly stops at
> around 10Mb, and decides it is through for a few hours.  Do you have
> any idea how FRUSTRATING that is.  Sorry started ranting there for a
> second.

> BTW, my ISDN is $50 a month-unlimited, $50 setup and $85/hour of
> inside work ($17 after the 1st hr).  Is that high, low, avg?  It is
> through GTE in Dallas, so if anybody knwos please tell.

> Any help/info is greatly appreciated

I use the BSP, but with a Hayes ESP card ... My DTE speed is 230400bps
If you don't need to make voice calls on it, it really doesn't matter.
If by chance you do, when I bought my BSP the usr only had one POTS
and I had 2 computers I wanted to hook up to it.  Also, the computer
has to be left on in order to receive calls via the USR.  The BSP simply
plugs into the wall and that's it.  Setup was easy - I would guess that
the USR is just as easy.  I don't know of any compat of compression for
ISDN at the moment so compression is moot.  As for ISP rates on ISDN,
Bellsouth.net charges me $19.95 unlimited 1B access per month.  The
Telco charges on the other hand a hefty $68.00 flat rate.

YMMV

Post by NoSp » Tue, 07 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>Can someone please explain to me why I should spend an extra $100 to
>buy the Motorola rather than a USR 128? PLEASE.  I was all set to buy
>the Motorola until I did some research (God, I love the net) and saw
>that it doesn't do compression and bottlenecks on your com port.  The
>USR doesn't bottleneck AND has compression (max flow of something like
>500k and switches to however it is compressed automatically).  Am I
>missing something here??, why the hell should I but the Motorola now.
>Unless I am going to sell it (external vs. internal) or need the extra
>analog port (can't see why).  Unless someone knows something about
>either of these I am missing, I'm a USR guy.  Is support or install or
>SOMETHING that much easier/harder for one?

        I've owned a Bitsurfr Pro, Pipeline 25, Pipeline 25 Px, and a
USR 128.
        The Bitsurfr Pro was slow, maxing out at about 10-11k/s, plus
there was no compression.  I could've bought a hi-speed COM port but
what's the point, it still won't do compression.
        The Pipeline 25 was nice, it would connect to my ISP any time
a TCP/IP packet was trying to be sent across the wire.  It was having
problems with RIP packets that were jumping off of my ISP's LAN and
hitting it which consumed 100% of it's bandwidth, so I returned it.
        The Pipeline 25 Px was kind of strange.  It didn't have a full
TCP/IP stack in it, so things like traceroute and ping didn't work on
it.  Plus  it required a dummy IP address which didn't work with alot
of programs I run.
        The USR has worked fine so far.  USR doesn't appear to be
making any new drivers for it, and knowing USR they never will.  It
does 2B in Windows 95 and NT 4.0.  It works in NT 3.51 but only 1B.
Haven't tried it in Windows 3.1x or anything.  No Linux drivers.  Does
compression and downloads news headers at 30k/s.

Post by Jay Joungbum Ki » Wed, 08 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> >Can someone please explain to me why I should spend an extra $100 to
> >buy the Motorola rather than a USR 128? PLEASE.  I was all set to buy
> >the Motorola until I did some research (God, I love the net) and saw
> >that it doesn't do compression and bottlenecks on your com port.  The
> >USR doesn't bottleneck AND has compression (max flow of something like
> >500k and switches to however it is compressed automatically).  Am I
> >missing something here??, why the hell should I but the Motorola now.
> >Unless I am going to sell it (external vs. internal) or need the extra
> >analog port (can't see why).  Unless someone knows something about
> >either of these I am missing, I'm a USR guy.  Is support or install or
> >SOMETHING that much easier/harder for one?

Actually, you can get Bitsurfr at $200 range, but you have to really
search for that.. Such price is occasionally offered by retailers or
previous users on newsgroups. But that is irrelevant..

If you do not care about analogue device support, BUY SPORTSTER 128K.
This card is so far the best internal TA available.

But if you do want to receive calls (that is, regular analogue calls
like voice or fax..) you have to think a little bit. Sportster will NOT
make your phone connected to its POTS port ring; it does not generate
enough voltage for that. (Instead, when a call comes in, the internal
card's speaker will quack.) In order to "ring" the phone, you need an
optional ring generator, which costs about $80-100. Secondly, since ISDN
has to be powered by a NT-1, which is included in most TAs, and USR 128k
is an internal device, so obviously, when your computer is turned off,
you will NEVER know whether somebody is calling you or not.

Nevertheless, if you are going to use ISDN SOLELY for data communication
which requires a powered computer, you will love your USR 128k. But if
you wish to utilize ISDN's relatively convinient analogue call
functions, I recommend you to erase all the internal TAs from your list
unless you're eager and able to keep your computer on all day. (or, you
may miss some calls.)

There are so many kinds of TAs out there, but after considering an
individual user's needs and "financial" situation as well as knowledge,
only a few (usually a couple) choices will be left. Ask yourself
questions like this :
*How much money can you afford? (more money, better TA)
*Can you deal with technical difficulties? In other words, are you ready
and experienced enough to endure all the agony? (more skills, less
headache.)
*Do you want maximum speed or maximum usability? (that is, will you
sacrifice speed over functions or functions over speed?)
*Is ISDN going to be your principle phone line, or are you going to keep
your existing phone line?
*How many computers or equipments will be sharing the ISDN line?
*How does your phone company charge for you? How can you save some money
when you use your ISDN line for communication? (ask your phone company)
*Do you need maximum flexibility in ISDN call handling? (Do you need a
bunch of calling and receiving options?)
*Do you want to utilize a certain analogue call handling options that
your phone company offers? (such as caller-ID, call transfer, etc.)

I may be able to give you some recommendation according to your answers.
Have a nce one and good luck. Jay.

1. BitSurfer vs. BitSurfer Pro

I have a fax modem and regular telephone lines. would it be wise to
get the Bitsurfer and by a connector that allows two phone lines to go
into one or just by the bitSurfer pro and just skip the connector?

Victor Morange
KO6ZK

2. cdsplotinit for HP750C

3. Motorola Bitsurfer vs Bitsurfer PRO

4. The Matrix subway fight scene.

5. Bitsurfer vs. Bitsurfer Pro

6. How to grayscale a ps picture

7. BitSurfer vs. BitSurfer Pro?

8. Searching Active Directory

9. Bitsurfer Pro vs. USR ISDN Sportster

10. BitSurfer Pro vs. USR Sportster: Further Questions

11. 128K with Mot.Bitsurfer Pro(win98)?

12. Help: 128K with Mot. Bitsurfer Pro

13. Bitsurfer Pro 128K DTE? How?